You won't believe what our travel agent DID!

katb85

Well here is the update. We made it on the ship. The travel agent just wanted us to take our money back. We said no, that we had paid to be on the ship, and she had better figure out a way to do it. We ended up with several rooms with the pull down beds. We just switched everyone around so we had no more than 3 to a room. It worked out okay. The travel agent had to pay around $80 more per person to get us on the ship. She lost alot of money, but it served her right. We told her if we didn't get on the ship that we would contact the Attorney General. She wanted to meet us somewhere and give us cash that day. We wasn't about to let her off that easy. Besides, we looked forward to this cruise for months. The trip was wonderful. We were on the Sensation. Walked on the ship and celebrated with a Kiss on The Lips. Everyone was hooked on these drinks! The only problem we ran into was in the dining room. I wasn't assigned a table for dinner. My sister and I ended up changing tables and sitting with some other passengers. They were wonderful people. Some of the family was seated with the other group of people who had booked their trip through the same agency. They had around 6 who missed the ship. I think they just took their money back. All I can say is lesson learned. My stepmother said she will only book through Carnival, or look into a different travel agent. It was her fault for not getting a booking#, but she never dreamed that she would do something like this. I thought for sure she would send something to her cabin to make up for what she had done, but of course she didn't.

Oh I am so happy to hear that you got to go. We were so worried about you and so hoped since you did not write that you had gone and or killed the TA LOL.

Please write us a review and I would love to see some of your pictures.

I am so happy everything worked out and that you did go.

I'm sooo glad you guys got to go on the trip. Sounds like this ta is doing this to several instead of just your group. I think someone needs to go public with the way they are doing people and their money. Thank God for my PVP, wouldn't know what to do without her. Shoot me an e-mail ( pevans12@hotmail.com) if you don't mind though, I have a question that you can't answer here on the boards, just put cc in the subject line though so I don't delet it. So now we're waiting to see pics from your trip, how many did ya take?

If the others that got screwed by this TA aren't going to complain to the AG's office, I would still go ahead and do it along with the BBB and any other consumer advocate you have available. You wouldn't want them to do the same to other people. From one of your posts, it looks like they had been in business for a number of years so they may consider your situation "cost of doing business" rather than "lesson learned" and to straighten up.

So glad you did get your cruise. We were all worried about you.

Tucker in Texas

I'm so glad that you made the ship. You guys are obviously very nice people and I am sorry that you were treated so poorly by this TA. Here's to your next, carefree, booking # in hand, cruise. You deserve it!

If the others that got screwed by this TA aren't going to complain to the AG's office, I would still go ahead and do it along with the BBB and any other consumer advocate you have available. You wouldn't want them to do the same to other people. From one of your posts, it looks like they had been in business for a number of years so they may consider your situation "cost of doing business" rather than "lesson learned" and to straighten up.

Tucker in Texas

I'm so happy you all made it on the ship.... I would have been devestated......

But Tucker is right.... You need to contact the BBB and the A.G. They won't change their business practices if they aren't made too. It wasn't a 1 time issue, they did it to other people.... And will continue if someone doesn't contact those agencies....

Can't wait to hear about your next cruise.... :D

Although there are many good and reputable TA's out there, this is another reason to book directly with Carnival. I am not slamming TA's but if you don't have to use one (which you don't as you can call Carnival directly) why risk something happening with your money unless you have some real legal recourse?(which you have more with Carnival)

You can still use TA's for other aspects of your trip but as far as the cruise itself, I would always book directly with Carnival. Then I would be able to call in myself and inquire about my reservation instead of having to track down a TA with hundreds of other clients and if something happens, there is a better chance of getting your money back from Carnival than from a TA who is AWOL.

Well here is the update. We made it on the ship. The travel agent just wanted us to take our money back. We said no, that we had paid to be on the ship, and she had better figure out a way to do it. We ended up with several rooms with the pull down beds. We just switched everyone around so we had no more than 3 to a room. It worked out okay. The travel agent had to pay around $80 more per person to get us on the ship. She lost alot of money, but it served her right. We told her if we didn't get on the ship that we would contact the Attorney General. She wanted to meet us somewhere and give us cash that day. We wasn't about to let her off that easy. Besides, we looked forward to this cruise for months. The trip was wonderful. We were on the Sensation. Walked on the ship and celebrated with a Kiss on The Lips. Everyone was hooked on these drinks! The only problem we ran into was in the dining room. I wasn't assigned a table for dinner. My sister and I ended up changing tables and sitting with some other passengers. They were wonderful people. Some of the family was seated with the other group of people who had booked their trip through the same agency. They had around 6 who missed the ship. I think they just took their money back. All I can say is lesson learned. My stepmother said she will only book through Carnival, or look into a different travel agent. It was her fault for not getting a booking#, but she never dreamed that she would do something like this. I thought for sure she would send something to her cabin to make up for what she had done, but of course she didn't.

I am Also glad you made it on the boat and you had a good time..Thanks for keeping us posted:)

I have followed this since your first posting and was really hoping you would make it. So glad you were able to get everyone onboard. Shame on that TA for making you go through this. There are many fine TA's out there, but apparently not this one.

Not that it helps now but others might gain from this ... even when not paid in full you should get a reservation number from Carnival... I know I have when useing a payment plan with my Travel Agent....

John

Absolutely correct! When I book a cruise I always ask my TA to email me a copy of the confirmation WITH THE BOOKING NUMBER! I then go on-line and take care of the pre-registration information and I can feel reasonably secure that, as long as I make final payment, I'm all set. Of course the fact that my credit card is charged by the cruiseline instead of the TA makes me feel better too.

My TA gives me a copy of the transaction report she gets from carnival sshowing the cabin, if assigned, or garuntee, price I paid and when the last payment is due...... That way I know everything is right with Carnival and my TA. I do the same for my air line tickets.....

Please do report this TA. Just think she has probably done this to other people and if they had reported her maybe it would have put her out of business or made her get her act together and it would not have happened to you:cool:

Someone has to stop this TA, and the OP should be the one. This TA is playing the money game. Who knows just what she was doing with all the money.

My sister said she was going to make a few calls next week about her. The travel agent said she was closing her office. I checked her website online, it doesn't show anything about any trips. It just has "New website coming soon"

Reading all of these horror stories got me thinking about the final payment just made on my upcoming NCL cruise. The credit card payment was made to the TA not the cruise line. I did call NCL and the payment was made by the TA but a week later than the due date!!! So, am I understanding correctly that even though u book thru a TA that the credit card charge should be only to the Cruise line? There was nothing in my contract that said that. I booked thru one of the online TA's from cruise compete. So for the future, should i insist they write in my contract that all credit card payments go directly to cruiseline and not to agency? :confused:

Yes, I'm a travel agent and the only charge that should ever appear is the name of the Cruise Line , not the agency. I have never charged it to the agencies name. The agency I work for is in NJ, where I used to live. I work from my home now in Nashville, but for same agency. My boss is a retired NJ policeman and he is very strict with all his agents. I only take credit cards but I have had a customer or two that mailed final by check to the office. When they do this the office has to either call it in on Agency credit card or send an agency check.

I would not use anyone again that charged it to agency instead of cruiseline, that alone is dishonest.

Diane in Music City

My sister said she was going to make a few calls next week about her. The travel agent said she was closing her office. I checked her website online, it doesn't show anything about any trips. It just has "New website coming soon"

She will just open under another name and will continue to work her black magic, she needs to be reported and make sure that she cannot do business again.

People need to be held accountable for their actions, good and bad.

Glad you made the ship and had a good cruise.

Tucker in Texas

I agree with Tucker, if you let it get by she will do it to more.

Get booking # and make sure card is charged to Cruise Line, and not the agency.

Diane in Music City

Archived