Locking your luggage.

fanofseas

Should you put locks on your suitcases? I know with the airlines they search a lot of them so they will cut off the locks. Do they scan them before you give them to the porters so that you can unlock them if they ask? or do they scan and search after you drop them off. If they are going to cut them off I shouldn't even put one on to start with. what do you think?

Since 9/11 and all of the increased security precautions I have stopped locking my luggage. Might I suggest the plastic wire ties as a substitute. You will be able to tell if your luggage was opened and it may stop an "honest" person from looking inside. And last they do the inspection after the porter drops it off.

If you lock your luggage before you fly they will cut the locks of if they want to search your bags. When you claim your luggage at the airport, it is now safe to lock your luggage. My understanding is that if Carnival scans your luggage and finds anything suspicious you will be called to the pursers office to open it so they can check it. Hope this helps.

I agree with Big Daddy One....

We started using the plastic ties on our luggage. This works in the air or sea. If they want to search the bags, they can cut it on the airplane and when you pick them up, just put more on. Plus it makes it easier than buying new locks. Then it guarantees that no dishonest person will check out your stuff while being put on the ship.

Works great for us....

Deena

I'm afraid the days of locked luggage are probably gone forever. I'm pretty sure that you drop off your luggage with a porter & he takes it to the screening area. I can understand the reason for the searches buy it sure makes a traveler hesitant about putting something in his suitcase that has any value whatsoever. Back in the "good old days" of traveling I generally bought some really nice souviners & brought them home in my suitcase. I don't do that any more. So, I guess the upside is that I save money. I guess if I find something I just can't live without I could have it shipped home.

the airline we travel with (Delta) has informed us to use the plastic straps and if they open it to search it they will replace the plastic strap for you with a tag informing you of thier search. We use them when flying. But then we use the regural lock once we claim our luggage at the airport so that the individuals at Carnival can call us to the pursers desk if they need to search them. This seems to work very well for us.

I've been using the plastic ties (also known as cable ties) on my luggage since the increased security screening went into effect. I travel a fair amount by air including international travel.

If you buy the ties in the travel or luggage section, you're going to pay way too much for them. (I've seen them in packages of 20-25 for $5.99 with travel gadgets.)

If you buy them in the hardware or electrical section, they are really cheap. I picked up a package of 100 8" ties at Home Depot yesterday for $2.99. They also had a package of about 400 in different sizes for $5.99 -- that would probably be a lifetime supply for most people.

To be honest, the ties are at least as difficult to remove as the travel locks. If anyone wants in your luggage, most of the locks can be removed (broken) fairly easily by a good yank or tug if you aren't concerned about damaging the luggage (which most theives won't be). The cable ties have to be cut off. Just remember to put a pair of small scissors or nailclippers in an outside pocket of your checked luggage so you can cut the ties.

I strongly suggest carrying anything sharp ("small scissors or nail clippers") in your carry-on. They will be confiscated at the airport security.

Keith -- I think you meant "suggest NOT carrying anything sharp in your carry-on". And that is absolutely correct although nail clippers without a nail file are okay in carry-on. But that's also why I suggested putting them "in an outside pocket of your checked luggage".

I've also heard others say that small blunt nosed scissores are okay in carry on but I haven't tried it.

We just used the TSA approved locks on the cruise we just came back from. They have a 3 digit combination lock (that you set) but then it also has a tiny keyhole that officials at the airport/ports have a master key to. So if they need to, they can open it. It also has a tiny window with a green circle in it. If they have used the 'master key' to open the lock that window will turn red, so you know someone has opened your case. Pretty cool!

We ordered ours from online, can't remember which website, but after a quick search online, here is one place that sells them & a picture of them:

http://www.tamperseal.com/Store.asp?m=tamperseal&n=14&k=2449&s=Travel+Sentry++SearchAlert+Luggage+Lock

~Sharon~

Carnival requires checked luggage be locked:

"Each piece of luggage must be locked and have a colored bag tag listing the guest's name, ship and stateroom number."
You may need to lock them between the airport and the ship.

Plastic cable ties are a good way to secure zippers from casual browsing. I just used the built in locks on hardside bags and added cheap straps from a dollar store.

Jim

You can have scissors in your carryon as long as they are short (less than 4") and blunt ended. I use a pair of good quality Fiskars kiddie scissors. Have never has a problem with security and they are very handy for cable ties and other uses.

You can get such scissors at any office supply store (Staples, OfficeMax, etc.).

Jim

We just used the TSA approved locks on the cruise we just came back from. They have a 3 digit combination lock (that you set) but then it also has a tiny keyhole that officials at the airport/ports have a master key to. So if they need to, they can open it.
TSA inspectors at DTW will simply cut this so-called "approved" lock off. They have stated that they simply do not have the time to screw around with the "master key."

The manufacturer of these locks will refund or replace if cut off by TSA. Who has time to mess with the paperwork involved? Not me.

We took our grandchildren on a trip last Janaury. One of them had brought a craft kit for the plane that included a child's blunt tip scissor - they took it from her. So I wouldn't count on getting a scissor through security. We bring a pack of matches and simply burn the plastic ties off when we get to our room. Takes about a second and doesn't get confiscated at the airport.

:rolleyes: First as tef43 said they will cut them off. :o Second : they are not strong enough to with stand the throwing Ape, baggage handlers. :mad: Third: they are way over priced. Wait till you take them off the bus if you mst lock them!!!:D

Bob, Diane and Bethany

Archived