Carnival Glory port changes

du4mch

I'm a TA and I just got off the phone I have a group leaving with Sat on the Glory and they still are giving us 2 different answers where they are going do not get your hopes up yet...

Tina

Here is the "official word:"

Nope, the official word they sent out this morning.

The Glory for 09/22 is going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Freeport.

According to my info, they have not yet finalized their port changes for further dates.

Hi! Everyone, now that were all shaking our heads as to what Carnival is still doing with the Glory, or not doing, or changing their minds every other minute.

Its a great way to run a cruise line.

Having presented this problem to cruise critic and their fine staff, they took the ship and ran, by asking everyone that they had connections with at Carnival "What's Up" and like all the rest of us they are still confused. I personally know because I've been sent some faxes and they have posted them as they've received them from Carnival.

My thought process is and still will be why are they trying to change two ports with the original itinerary that the Glory had. I know that Costa Maya

got ruined. I feel sorry for them, but the original itinerary was a strange one to begin with. On the original itinerary on Nov.5th we we're supposed to dock at Cozumel, then on the 6th of November we we're/are supposed to dock at Belize. then on the 7th of November we were supposed to go back to Costa Maya. Cozumel and Costa Maya are just a little farther apart than Aruba and Curaco. So with the original itinerary we were going to be retacing our steps. A logical choice with Costa Maya getting destroyed would have been to replace it with a port that would be a relative short distance from Belize so they could make it back to Nassau after a day at sea.

Thus either Roatan or Grand Cayman or Jamaica would be the wise choice. where they came up with Key west and Progresso, still has me guessing. I do think part of it has to do with the dock/terminal issue with Belize, but to hold up their clientele while playing this poker game is bewildering.

So until they decide a more permanent itinerary we will have to play the wondering game as to what port we may visit or not. Let's keep everyone posted.

I am booked on the Glory November 17th and asked my Carnival rep last week about the itinerary and she said it was up in the air then. When I called yesterday about another question, she was able to confirm for me that my itinerary was the same EXCEPT for Costa Maya, we now have Progreso.

So my Glory itinerary for the November 17th sailing is: Cozumel, Belize, Progreso and Nassau. I was hoping to go to Roatan after reading all of the posts about it, but I guess we were not lucky.

1/08 Sensation

11/07 Glory <--- I make Platinum!! ;)

2/07 Sensation

3/06 Fantasy

11/04 Celebration

1/04 Fantasy

5/03 Fantasy

11/02 Inspiration

11/01 Jubilee

8/79 Carnivale

1/78 Mardi Gras

Having been to the other ports of call multiple times, I was really looking forward to Key West and Progresso as substitute ports. I have a back to back on Glory coming up at the end of Nov. I haven't been down to Key West in about 20 years, and never to Progresso. There are some good places to go in Progresso, especially those huge well preserved ruins - bigger and better than what we see from Belize or Costa Maya. I thought it was a good idea for a change.

Ken

Hot off the presses:

Glory 09/22 will be doing Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Freeport.

They are still working on future dates and have not announced anything as of yet.

Carnival GLORY cruisers:

As a member of the Roatan Chamber of Tourism (CANATURH), we were just informed today that the CARNIVAL GLORY will be stopping on Roatan every second Wednesday starting 09/26, and continuing until years-end. We have also been informed that the Glory will return to Roatan after a 4 month break, at the end of the cruise season beginning at the end of April '08 (off-season).

The reason they can't stop here for the high season months, is that our Wednesdays are booked with other ships, and Roatan can only handle 6000 passengers per day (AT THIS TIME).......until the new Carnival dock is completed...and the main Royal Caribbean dock is expanded.:D

Having been to the other ports of call multiple times, I was really looking forward to Key West and Progresso as substitute ports. I have a back to back on Glory coming up at the end of Nov. I haven't been down to Key West in about 20 years, and never to Progresso. There are some good places to go in Progresso, especially those huge well preserved ruins - bigger and better than what we see from Belize or Costa Maya. I thought it was a good idea for a change.

Ken

I think you would be disappointed. Just got back from those ports and not good. If you get Roatan and Belize, you will be SO lucky!:)

Hi folks,

I'm booked on the Nov. 3rd Glory (and staying onboard for the Eastern itinerary the week after that). I must say, all the "news updates" are wearing out my fingers -- racing back and forth to different port threads. :rolleyes:

Like most of you, I'm sure, I've had certain favorite and lesser favorite ports that have been mentioned for our trip. I guess the answer is we'll just have to wait and see.

Seems odd, to say the least. But I'm still looking forward to a wonderful cruise to somewhere -- and I'll make the best of it when it happens.

Remember, the best thing to pack is a good attitude! :p (You may gag from the sacharine sweetness if you wish, lol). Hope to see some of you soon, somewhere in the Caribbean...:)

Carnival GLORY cruisers:

As a member of the Roatan Chamber of Tourism (CANATURH), we were just informed today that the CARNIVAL GLORY will be stopping on Roatan every second Wednesday starting 09/26, and continuing until years-end. We have also been informed that the Glory will return to Roatan after a 4 month break, at the end of the cruise season beginning at the end of April '08 (off-season).

The reason they can't stop here for the high season months, is that our Wednesdays are booked with other ships, and Roatan can only handle 6000 passengers per day (AT THIS TIME).......until the new Carnival dock is completed...and the main Royal Caribbean dock is expanded.:D

I was really hoping for Roatan - but looks like we'll miss out that first week of April. I'm assuming Progreso will take it's place, but I can accept Progreso as long as we get Belize back!

I was really hoping for Roatan - but looks like we'll miss out that first week of April. I'm assuming Progreso will take it's place, but I can accept Progreso as long as we get Belize back!

Im sure by April it will be back to normal......too early to worry about :D that.

Im sure by April it will be back to normal......too early to worry about :D that.

I don't think you read Captain Van's post. We're traveling the first week of April and Roatan will be "off" the Glory's schedule from January through April (peak season).....

The reason they can't stop here for the high season months, is that our Wednesdays are booked with other ships, and Roatan can only handle 6000 passengers per day (AT THIS TIME).......until the new Carnival dock is completed...and the main Royal Caribbean dock is expanded.

Nope, the official word they sent out this morning.

According to my info, they have not yet finalized their port changes for further dates.

The problem is they are not telling anyone until 2 days before where they are going. My agency got the change yesterday for a client.

The other things is they also changed Nassau for Freeport. That one was interesting. why did they change it?

Carnival GLORY cruisers:

Hi Captain Van.

The Glory will be in port from 5am to 12pm. Will we be able to go to Gumbalimba park early or do we have to wait until 9am? Can you go to the park on your own or should you book through the ship?

You'll be lucky if you don't go to Progreso. I was on the Glory on the 9-8 that went to KW, Coz, Prog, and Nassau. All stops were okay, even though I refuse to believe that a U.S. port is a good sub for Belize, except for Progreso which is a nasty town at the end of a really long pier. I know there are some good excursions (the best having a 2.5 bus ride each way) but I think ports should have good options for those not wanting to shell out big bucks to do an excurision. We really wanted to do Belize and will probably do the Glory again just to get to go there.

Have a great day.

The problem is they are not telling anyone until 2 days before where they are going. My agency got the change yesterday for a client.

The other things is they also changed Nassau for Freeport. That one was interesting. why did they change it?

That part does not make sense unless it is a case of too many ships at the same port on the same day. I would prefer Nassau as it has more to offer - Freeport is quite far from the port from what I have read.

I'm definitely not saying that information isn't accurate, but I just got off Carnival Glory eastern a few hours ago (9/22), and that was not the western itinerary that was listed onboard for those who'd be embarking shortly thereafter.

I certainly hope that Freeport won't be on the itinerary for my upcoming Glory western sailing.

Please let this be true.

We are sailing on the Glory on Dec 1. We were not looking forward to Key West or Progresso, and we were really looking forward to Belize cave tubing. If the post regarding every second week as Roatan / Belize is correct, that will be for our cruise.

Now, just to get Carnival to confirm so I can book tubing....

The reason that Freeport is substitued for Nassau is distance.....

(the same reason Belize got dropped off the last 2 Western cruises, including ours on Sept. 8th)

The original itinerary was sea day to get to Cozumel, then Belize the next day, then BACK UP to Costa Maya, which puts you closer to Nassau.

The last 2 Glory westerns stopped in Key West the first day, THEN a sea day (where Cozumel was) to get to Cozumel, THEN back up to Progresso, instead of further south to Belize, which made Nassau reachable in a single sea day.

If the Glory does indeed start back to this newer itinerary, it means sea day to Cozumel, then Belize, then further south to Roatan and then a LONG haul back to Freeport, which is at least 8 hours closer than Nassau.

(we passed Freeport in the middle of the night on our way to Nassau. I just happened to wake up and always had the navigation channel on while we slept.)

Personally I was ecstatic with our itinerary change, as Progresso for Belize was a great trade off for us, as we were doing Mayan Ruins in Belize and there is no way any of the 3 choices there could compare to what we saw at Uxmal in Progresso. (and the ride is only 1 1/2 hours, NOT 2 1/2 like somebody else from our cruise, who if I remember, didn't even take either excursion, falsely reported)

We were excited by Key West, but with having to be shuttled through the Navy Base and having to wait to debark by deck because of this, our deck got called about halfway through and we didn't exit the ship until over an hour after the first groups did, then had a 20 minute shuttle ride each way to get into town, which killed a HUGE chunk of our already short port time.

Hope everyone has as great a time as we did with whatever itinerary they wind up with.

(hard to believe we have only been home a week now. Seems like a month has already passed.)

Bill

I know there are some good excursions (the best having a 2.5 bus ride each way) but I think ports should have good options for those not wanting to shell out big bucks to do an excurision. We really wanted to do Belize and will probably do the Glory again just to get to go there.

Have a great day.

If/when you finally do get to sail to Belize you may wish you were in Progreso; unless you are shelling out big bucks for an excursion. ;)

Personally I was ecstatic with our itinerary change, as Progresso for Belize was a great trade off for us, as we were doing Mayan Ruins in Belize and there is no way any of the 3 choices there could compare to what we saw at Uxmal in Progresso. (and the ride is only 1 1/2 hours, NOT 2 1/2 like somebody else from our cruise, who if I remember, didn't even take either excursion, falsely reported)

Bill

Carnival offers an excursion from Progreso to the ruins at Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza is a 2.5 hour bus ride from Progreso each way. :eek:

I was suppose to be on the Glory right now *sniff sniff* but had unexpected circumstances come up and Carnival let me take advantage of the ports change for my full refund....anyway I know for a fact the itinerary for the 9/22 cruise was cozumel, belize, roatan, and freeport. I received the same email as jhsieh....

Hi Captain Van.

The Glory will be in port from 5am to 12pm. Will we be able to go to Gumbalimba park early or do we have to wait until 9am? Can you go to the park on your own or should you book through the ship?

Gumbalimba is UNFORTUNATELY not open to the general public on cruise ship days. All visitors on cruiseship days, must be prior booked with a prepaid ship excursion.

Of course, you can get there on your own, and also leave with you own transportation, but that is a large part of the costs that you are paying the ship.

Archived