Insurance - Should we purchase it?

cruising4u

If you can afford to lose the cost of the cruise, including airfare, hotels, etc and you can afford to fund a possible 25,000$ medical evacuation if needed then there is no reason to buy insurance.;) If you are like most of us and don't have that kind of money I would definitely buy it, consider it part of the cost of cruising rather then an additional expenditure.

We never used to, but with both of our mothers getting older, DH had a mild heart attack last year, and with both of us over 50 now, we do get it for the 7 night cruises or longer. Just want to be sure if something happens. I have priced both RCI and internet companies and have found RCI to be very competitive, so we just get ours through them and are done with it. We did not get it for our land vacation yet for next April in Punta Cana, but I will probably get it at the last minute for that also, even though I know it won't cover any pre-existing conditions at that point. Want it more for it something happens while we are there.

My first cruise I ever booked we bought insurance. 5 days before we were to leave, one of our travel companions died. We cancelled and got a full refund. On our last cruise, we dropped and destroyed our digital camera while on a zip-line tour. The insurance re-imbursed us. Most people only think of sickness or injury as being reasons to have insurance. Never, in a million years, would I have expected to cancel a cruise to attend a friend's funeral. After the camera was ruined, I started reading the policy and found that it was covered under "baggage". Those two trips alone have paid for the insurance that I will buy on all the rest of my trips for the rest of my life.

Insurance is a type of gambling. You are putting the money on something will happen and the company is the house that doesn't want to happen. I always look at it if I can afford to loose the money on the trip then no I don't buy it. If I can't then of course I do buy it. Most big trips I always do. Only had to use it once and I am thankfull that I did. The cost of the insurance is small compared to the cost of the trip.

GOOD LUCK with your decision.

I buy it.....for me it's not even so much the cost of the trip as I tend to travel pretty "cheap"..but the "what ifs" that can happen while on the trip.....medical emergencies can happen to anyone.....I want to be sure I'm covered!

Does that mean I have the RCCL insurance?

No, it is probably more likely you have insurance through whichever insurance company Travelocity deals with. You should check what kind of policy you do have to make sure it covers what you want it to.

We buy insurance every time we travel. We used to buy it because of an elderly FIL but never had to use it for that. We have gotten stranded twice in FL because of east coast snow storms and we were able to stay in FL extra time because we couldn't get home and everything was paid

Insurance is a type of gambling. You are putting the money on something will happen and the company is the house that doesn't want to happen. I always look at it if I can afford to loose the money on the trip then no I don't buy it. If I can't then of course I do buy it. Most big trips I always do. Only had to use it once and I am thankfull that I did. The cost of the insurance is small compared to the cost of the trip.

GOOD LUCK with your decision.

A person buys automobile insurance because *usually* they are required to under State law...but still, it's insurance that we hope we'll never need to use. Same with homeowners insurance, life insurance, et.cet. My wife and I will be joining our extended family on the Liberty in October...when you factor in all the people and cabins, we're talking a good $10K plus the cost of transport to Miami...damned right we're buying the insurance...!!!

Michael

This would make a good poll!

We bought insurance for our first cruise (in 4 days!!) because my parents are watching the children (they are 60 & you never know what might happen to them--and if they can't come, we can't go!) & we are travelling during hurricane season. We bought the RCI insurance because it covered what we needed & it doesn't cost much--I think it was $29/person. Well worth the peace of mind to me!

We do buy trip insurance. The thought of med evac $$$$ is enough for me!

Plus it will cover us if we need to use the medical facilities since our own medical ins won't cover us once we leave the states.

Our last cruise we saw a teen playing basketball land wrong on his foot, his ankle was badly broken, no doubt they had a huge pile of medical bills when they left that cruise.

So many things could happen, so far nothing for us but you just never know.

we go to insuremytrip dot com and get it through there, very reasonable and we can pick the coverage we want.

Bev

We had to cancel our cruise last December because my dad had a heartattack and stroke...we were covered. We rebooked our trip and then had to cancel because my dad died...we were covered. Since we live in Wisconsin weather delays can be brutal...my friend never buys travel insurance but after my first experience last year with my dad's stroke she did ...she was stranded for two days at the airport in Colorado due to the snow storm and missed the first three days of her Mexican vacation...she was covered - thanks to me. ;) Buy the insurance...

We buy it for the medical evacuation and because of elderly parents. My DW's mother died 7 days before one of our cruises. It's not because of the trip cost, that I can endure losing, it's the other stuff that has no limit.

I always pick a policy that is "primary" coverage...they pay first.

In 22 cruises we have never purchased insurance. Not a necessary expense for us but sounds like everyone else who ever cruised needed it.

We have done the same # of cruises as you have, and have also never purchased insurance and never had an accident or incident. We are 56/59. We are sailing on 11/19-(11night exocitc)on Empress out of San Juan. This cruise we purchased insurance after bantering about it for a day. My DH is not so sold, but felt that it does have more variables ie: air etc, that makes it more risky. I am at the point where I think we should have it always. But he still says, "in 20+ cruises we have never used it, and wants to continue to evualte the merits of each cruiuse. Of course we don't have a crystal ball as to what could happen along the way. But, I feel good about this purchase.

Most people never need it. But the one time you do need it, you'll be glad you have it. Insurance is one of those things that you buy and hope you never have to use.

I have seen several stories here in the last few years of people being very upset with an airline or RCI because they had an emergency and couldn't make the plane or the ship and they get no refunds. How were they supposed to know that they would get really sick and not be able to cruise? It's not their fault. They get very little sympathy from the board because that is exactly what insurance is for: unforseen events.

Archived