Camp Seabourn Pride

JaneBP

Greetings all!! We campers are having a 'SWELL-egant' time here in the Atlantic Ocean! Therefore, I will try my best and typos don't count.

We were about 30 at the MO in London and I must admit that as a devotee of The Stafford, I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. I loved the Asian influence and ordering sashimi from room service. We weren't there very long and I have met others who stayed at The Ritz and around town. We had a London city tour on Monday morning, but I missed it, because I thought it was at 10, not 9. I had a driver take me to Dover, but there was a bus for the cruisers.

Speaking of cruisers, I had the wonderful fortune to have lunch in Dover with the 'Cruiserbunnies', who have a fabulous flat facing the port on one side and the castle and white cliffs on the other. We had a delightful time, toasted their wedding anniversary (Thursday) and they took me to the pier. The ship terminal was the former train termnal, and it's quite charming.

We did not get to board until after 3, and passed through an airport-like security. We lined up for registration and I finally got to my suite at 5, just in time for the drill. Then, on to discovering the changes and waving good bye to all as we departed at 6. Once hitting open waters, it's been almost gale-force winds and lots of swells and the ensuing bounces. Some spray hits the windows on Deck 8, interfering with my Trivia concentration. I am proud to report that the 'Mixed Nuts' (Thanks to Sheila for the name) are in 1st place for the first two days.

Captian Dexter is at the helm and the staff are thrilled they can understand his overhead comments. The Staff Captain is the 'hunk' I met on the Legend last month, but I can't remember his name--just his handsome, blonde visage. Lulu is master of the hotel, with Guenther in the background and Felipe is the Maitre d'. My favorite Chief purser, Andrew is here and I think all is well. I must tell you I was so pleased to see Chef Ricky Marco that I have immediately scheduled a curry luncheon on Monday. Markus is out and about and obviously well-loved by all. The new menus are not yet finalized, but are coming soon. Dr Herra and Nurse Elizabeth are on duty as well. Great crew.

Jan, David E and Marla are scripting our activities. Two guest lecturers are Ambassador Peck and then Nigel West, whose specialty is espionage and MI5 and is one of the most interesting men I have ever met. I was at his table tonight and if we hadn't had to leave for the show, we would still be there.

Now, where to start with the re-fit! The Sky Bar is terrific. By taking out the first rail and moving the stairs, they gained about 6 feet at least. There are wooden round tables and the chairs from the Verandah, all decked out with comfy blue cushions. There are about 14 tables now. It's been quite breezy on deck and not too warm, so they have not had a real break-in yet. But it looks wonderful. Nelson is there in charge and ready with bananas for my BBC!

The Verandah, outside has been fitted with round tables for 2-6 people and there are captain's chairs to match. The overhead is covered with a plastic-type material that is stretched taut (no leaks) and reminds me of flyng buttresses. There is a lot of room and it's much more efficient for service and moving about. This morning I had a cup of tea out there and it was most comfortable.

There is new carpet in the public halls and suites. The suite carpet is as before, and there are new bed linens in a camel and blue theme. The hall carpets and lighter beige and they are providing some challenges, according to the head housekeeper, Vicky. I will get to the club later on and report back. But there are not too many changes and someone already mentioned them.

We are bouncing way too much right now. Will add more later and answer questions/pass on greetings as well.

Jane

PS: Paul, you are right, my new clock isn't working across the Atlantic!

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your review~~and for "keepin' us in the loop!":D

The reburbishments sound wonderful ~~especially the tables and chairs at the Sky Bar! And the new spreads in the suites.

Please tell Lulu (Herman Diaz gave him his nickname) "howdy" ~~~

And tell Markus I'm bringing him a "surprise gift!":p Along with gifts for Doctor Kris and Nursey. Would the Staff Captain be Captain Sigurd? (I heard thru' the grapevine that our beloved Staff Captain Nils is moving to the Spirit.--he is leaving the Legend) I'm so happy that the Pride sailed right thru' the heavy/rough seas last night and the Atlantic is calming today.

I was happy to hear Miss A. has "company"~~"The Boy's from Birmingham."

Good Luck with trivia ~~~and if Jan and David E ask, "what does a horned toad spit?" It's blood! ha ha As a child I kept my baby toads in matchbox's!;)

Have a continued fabulous lazy, hazy, dazy Crossing ! Have Nelson make you a Pimms Cup 2 with Ginger Ale ~~~~pleasse tell him I'll see him in Gloucester Town ~~Mardi Gras beads in hand~:D

Martita B.

Pinkie

Hi Jane!

Sorry to hear that the sea is not as smooth as we wanted it to be. But nice to read your review on the improvements of the Pride. I hope the weather will improve and that you will have a very nice cruise.

Once more, I'm sorry not to join you on this one, but hopefully in the future.

I believe I already asked you to give my best regards to all my friends there.......... Jan, David, Marla, Felipe, Nelson, Andrew, Günther and everybody else.

Marja

I forgot something! I'm trying to sail with you here from home, but I couldn't find the Seabourn Pride or LALT2 (call sign).

The wind seems fine to me and there are no hurricanes nearby. The barometric pressure also looks good. Ships in your area might be Queen Mary, Bremen and Constellation.

I hope I am right!

Marja

Dear Happy Campers -to-Be

The winds and seas have calmed down quite a bit, but it's still windy. Coming out of '2' just now, I was buffeted about, and you know I have a lot of ballast.

Last night was quite rocky from 0200. I woke and was almost haning on a bit, and I am in 134. Can't get lower or more midships than that. One couple, on 5, very forward ended up with a wooden pallet stuck on the balcony. It came from the sea! But Dr Herra and Nurse Elizabeth were jabbing lots of patients.

I shall give everyone your best wishes. Miss A and the 'Bama boys seem to be fine. I had dinner tonight with 2 couples whom I had not met and we got along so famously it seemed almost magical. We had movies and opera in common, and Philadelphia connections. It's always so wonderful to have such good times that are unexpected. But we always expect and do recieve wonderful adventures on Seabourn.

I forgot to mention I had a nice chat with Pam Conover who was in Dover to check out her luxury yacht. She was most pleased, as she told me. I told her I knew many of you are looking forward to her Presidential cruise.

Yes, Martha, it's Sigurd and I had just sailed with him on the Legend. Thanks for the toad answer. I must admit we are no longer #1. The bar team has surged ahead, but it's early days yet.

Marja, we all miss you and send blessings for good strength and positive thinking. I leared today that the origin of St Nicholas was in your country. I thought it was Romania.

Not so much more to report. Tonight is Mandy Muden's show and she's abfab, as it were.

Hugs to you all,

Jane

Jane, you would not have scored a point in Trivia, if you did answer that St. Nicolas originates from Romania. The story is that he was a bishop who did good work in Myra, which is in Turky. His name day is on the 6Th of December, but here in Holland we celebrate "Sinterklaas avond" (st. Nicolas Evening) on the 5Th. St. Nicolas was reburied in Bari (Italy).

He did especially much for children, that's why it really is a children's festivity with a lot of gifts. He is also the saint for sailors and was believed to ease down the sea. Maybe you can pray to him Jane? Nowadays Sinterklaas arrives by "steam ship" with his "Zwarte Pieten" (Black Pete's) from Spain, where "he lives". Maybe because of the fact that Bari at the time his remains were buried there, was a Spanish colony. He is also the patron of Amsterdam.

As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago I was on the Pride with my husband and children on the Th of December and I organized as "Zwarte Piet" a celebration in the card room for all the Dutch and Belgian crew.

I wrote a long poem and read it for them, dressed up as Piet. I brought chocolate letters and other candy from Holland and we all drank chocolate milk and sang the special "Sinterklaas" songs. A few tears came out with the crew, because this was the last thing they expected!

I could tell you many more stories about this Saint, but I think this will do.

Enjoy your cruise!

Marja

250px-Bourcq-Eglise_16.jpg200px-Piet_op_boot.jpg 200px-Sinterklaas_arriveert.jpg

Jane,

It was lovely to see you in Dover and we are really enjoying reading your reports. Please carry on the good work!

Can you please try and find out who our chef and Cruise Director etc. will be on the Pride in December (1st to 15th).

Many thanks.

Enjoy!

Sue and Ralph:)

Jane so glad to finally read about the new Pride changes. Now I would like to know how the menus will be changed. When you are on a long cruise they sure did get boring towards the end. Guess we should take shorter cruises (NOT!!) If Guenter is not Hot Man on your cruise what are his duties. I can't imagine him being anything other than Hotel Manager. Can you find out if he will be on the upcoming holiday cruise.

Diane

Jane,

Another real "ocean rodeo" I'm hearing from a Sailor on board.:confused:

Hold on and wear flats! I'm happy you're in #134 ~~best place to be! Hopefully tomorrow King Netune will be kinder ( when the bow goes straight up I hold my breath waiting for "her" crash down again ~~) and you'll enjoy smooth seas onwards to St John,

Newfoundland.

Good Luck with the continuing Trivia~~~(I never play ~~just cheerlead:p )

Enjoy and please tell Missy A. I'll see her soon!

MB

Dear Campers: I just had the pc cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back again..

The past few days have reminded me of two poems. The first, 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes. 'The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon stormy seas' or some variation of that..and The NIght before Christmas..'Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse'. Quiet in the corridors, just punctuated by the doorbells with Room Service, charming and delightful with some treats.

Curiserbunnies, you would have thrown me over if I had convinced you to do this crossing!!! But it's not as bad as 2 years ago, for sure. I believe Laurent will be the HM and the chef, the relief, whose name is David, I think. I don't know too much about the new menus, but did hear 120+ new recipes. Markus did a cooking demo the other day, made some German meatballs and a sabayon cream. I believe that Guenter is just behind the scenes, with some post-drydock things. He heads to the Legend.

They have not had dinner at the SkyBar yet, too windy. I do think that there has not been a lot of use of the 'new' Verandah outdoor area, but the food in '2' has been outstanding with Chef Ricky.

Matt, you might be right about the weather. The Captain has been warning us about more bad weather ahead tomorrow. We are a bit behind, but going at a clip to catch up. Tonight at the Club party, the Captain mentioned that Nelson was always seasick. I immediately thought of 'our' Nelson, who has seemed fine and busy at the bar. But he meant the naval hero, Nelson. Duh.

At the party, Miss A was honored for a gazillion days on Seabourn. I chatted with her at lunch today and did mention that Miss M would be joining soon.

Marja thanks for the information on St Nicholas. I was at least closer to Turkey than some of the others. I loved celebrating it living in Germanyl, with the little children in our building. I always had a stocking with candy canes on my front door.

The Mixed Nuts are closing in on the Bar Team, only 6 points separate us and we have 2 days to go. With the bounciness, I finshed the last Harry Potter book, and it was very good. I was thinking about Blackbird who didn't post until he had finished it. I sent my copy to the crew library. The electrician had to re-connect my Bose so I could hear some CDs I brought. There are lots of little glitches like that. They have tried to fix the lights over my bed (in the ceiling) but haven't found the problem. Two days it was too bouncy for the crew to work on it and be on ladders! Several suites have had leaky balcony doors, making for more work to tidy up.

I guess that's all for now. I wanted to pop in to pay a few bills and write to you in case I am lashed to my bed tomorrow. Today I had some spa treatments and that was relaxing with the gently swaying ship. I missed 'Name that Tune' but tomorrow night is Liars club and an early show with Mandy Muden and a cocktail reception. Yea sushi!!!

We get to set the clock back a half hour tonight, so am off to do that and hit the hay.

I hope I answered everyone's questions and TTFN.

Jane,

Thanks for your update! I've also been "eyeing" hurricane Jerry ~~

he's far away and I don't think he'll be bothering the Pride.

If you would like to pick up small unusual gifts in St John's, the "Iceberg Vodka" (I bought the airline size bottles) is a unique choice. The vodka is made from 12,000 year old water ~~claims to be the purest on the planet! A fun present and takes little room in your luggage. For Martini lovers!:D

Liar's Club should be fun tonight ~~I still miss Captain Leif Rodahl describing the "'lit vooden boats"~~~guess David E. will be lying!

Yes, Missy A. is always honored for her days aboard ~~she must have 2,000 or more, by now. I've encouraged her to write a novel ~~yeah, a "tell all expose!"

Please ask Guenter if he will be HotMan on the Legend Jan 16th. He's a grrrreat fellow ~~always available to make us all more comfortable!

Thanks again for taking time to post! Smooth seas today!:p

MB

Matt,

Using the "storm tracker," Weather Bug, it looks like Jerry is far South of the Pride so hopefully they'll have a smooth ride onwards to St. John's ~~~

The Atlantic can be treacherous this time of the year. This is the reason the Pride will Cross from Lisbon next year on Oct. 30th ~~

Lisbon, Madeira, Ft. Lauderdale ~~some of us are booked.....come join us!:p

MB

If anyone is interested in viewing the Pride tomorrow (Thursday 27th) here is a good web site: http://www.halifaxwebcam.ca/live/

The Pride arrives Halifax at 8 a.m., leaves, 3 p.m.

I enjoyed watching the Pride Castle depart St. John's yesterday~~

She's certainly looking grand and gorgeous!

Happy Sailing,

MB

Archived