Camp Seabourn Pride

JaneBP

Marja,

Yes, I noticed temp in Halifax today a low 48 degrees (rain) and for tomorrow , 50 degrees.

I've read it's turning chilly a'round New England and the trees are already changing their colors.

The Halifax website I previously posted has numerous cameras, so

we'll easily be able to view the Pride tomorrow.

Martita B.

Marja,

We are both right! With the exception of my "googling" and looking at the weather in Halifax, U.K. ~~~~:confused: ha ha ha I just checked the correct site and you are right in that Halifax, N.S. and surrounding areas are warm ~~today and tomorrow.

Good ~~the Pride-ites will enjoy their day touring, shopping and "carousing 'around" Halifax.

MB

Nothing from our Jane in 3 days - I hope all is well! :confused:

Yes, Matt, all is well. There is not as much to relate from sea days, unlike the port adventures. The day we thought might be bouncy wasn't too bad but it poured buckets. The Captain called the rain some 'wee celestial sprinkling'! Of course, he has a way with words. He did say that he liked the rain because it washes off some of the salt from all the spray. I found the foghorn blasts rather comforting. Seemed nice to be all wrapped up in a lovely yacht.

On Monday I had a lovely curry luncheon prepared by Chef Ricky. He's wonderful and we ate for hours. That evening was the Epicurean tastings in the Pursers' Lobby, but I couldn't manage to eat again...well, until later on. Jan did her show early yesterday and it was delightful Cole Porter renditions. It's her birthday today.

Yesterday in St John's it was a bit gray and I never bothered to get off. Have been there before and I just had a quiet day with an opera DVD and room service and a terrific book.

Today has been the best day by far. Smooth, sunny, warmish and all over delightful. We came in third today in Trivia, and our consolation prize was a Cunard pen!!!! The Bar team won by 3 point and got umbrellas. A good time was had by all, but nary a question on horned toads, Miss M. (I shall try and find Guenther and ask him where he'll be. I skipped the Galley Lunch to sit in the sun and have a bratwurst.

Tonight I had dinner with Nurse Elizabeth aat "2" nd she only got called away once. She and Dr Herra have been very busy this crossing. Tonight is Mandy's last show. She'll be on the Legend before the crossing and then on the Spirit where I can meet up with her again.

Tomorrow is the last formal night and with any luck, there will be fresh lobster on the menu. I am keeping fingers and 'toerses' for more good weather.

Forgot to mention that our Camp Newspaper, the USA Times now has the crossword and sudoko right in the paper, so no schlepping to the library. I also think the library is better stocked than the Legend's and better than last December.

TTFN!

Jane,

Just watched the Pride dock in Halifax~~am sorry those 2 "big boy ships" have the berths in front of the terminal! I'll watch you leave at 3 p.m. ('ya can't miss the black smoke puff's)

If you see James R. (Birmingham) today, please wish him a "Happy Birthday"~~~Nursey's "28th" was this week too.

Have a fun day and a great Captain's Farewell formal evening ~~

Hasta Luego!

Martita B.

Yesterday in St John's it was a bit gray and I never bothered to get off. Have been there before and I just had a quiet day with an opera DVD and room service and a terrific book.

Very relaxing!! I love ordering the "Club Sandwich" from room service - I know that sounds simple, but there is just something different about how the Seabourn chefs prepare them! :D

If you would like to watch the Pride leave Halifax, the best webcam will be: kroooz-cams. Click Canada, then upper left corner

will be "Halifax", click the right (Fenwick) camera. It departs at 3 p.m.

The 'lit Pride Castle had to dock at the end of the Pier ~~those 2 mega/giant ships are hogging the pier where we usually dock.

Happy webcamming :D

MB

The Pride was 35 minutes late in leaving Halifax ~~I'm guessing the Harbor Pilot was late ~~although a few times Guests and Crew have arrived a wee bit late. (we almost had to leave cute Toby and his girlfriend last year in the Canaries)

All is well and "She's" on her way to Bar Harbor.:p

All aboard, have fun tonight!

MB

(we almost had to leave cute Toby and his girlfriend last year in the Canaries)

That was really the event of the day! :D I loved how the the captain blew the horn when they finally arrived.

Although the real interest of that cruise was the magic pink beans you discovered in Las Palmas.

Matt,

Poor Toby and his lady friend were running to the Pride ~~everyone was leaning over the rail clapping for them ~~then Captain Toenis T. blew his horn! I ask T.T. later if he was going to punish them ~~with his black Norwegian eyes rollin' he said, "No Marta, these things happen!"

Oh those pink beans caused a ruckus for days ~~~:confused:

Jane, might you fill us in as to the Pride leaving later than scheduled? Smooth seas tonight!

MB

Lobsters! Chef Markus took some people shopping in Halifax and they did well. Lobster was indeed on the menu last night, but I ate in Restaurant "2" for Chef Ricky's Indian night. Tonight is steak night; I will go back. Yes, we had the Galley Lunch the other sea day and I stayed up in the sun at the Sky Bar Grill. For me, once experienced, it's enough. Way too much food and often a slippery galley floor.

Miss M, I have tried to tell everyone on your list that you are coming, but they all tell me that they have had many emails from you, so I am way late and I apologize. Naturally, they await with bated breath.

It's about all over but the shouting and promising to write at Christmas. It's gray here in Bar Harbor and the Customs/Immigration people started on a H-A ship first, so we were 2 hours delayed for the start of the tenders.

I have not mentioned the conditions/events/issues that have really annyoyed me this cruise, and I shall wait until I get home on Monday and have let my frustrations go to report on them. After all, considering war. famine, and the plague, I am still blessed and very lucky.

Jane

Thank you for the up-date! I have so enjoyed watching the Pride the past few days on webcams! Today the webcam "gaddys" has been grrreat ~~it's a streaming camera. I saw the bus downtown with the "Seabourn" sign on the front window......also a Pride-ite fellow carrying a Seabourn tote bag! Also, I've viewed many from the Holland Maasdam also calling on Bar Harbor today.

I know you've enjoyed the Crossing even though the seas were rougher than usual ~~~I personally like a 'lit ocean ~~otherwise it's simply a 6* hotel!;)

Of course I'm anxious to seeing and being with "the family" ~~

Thank you for your messages to them.

Happy Sailing onwards tonight to Gloucester!

Martita B.

Yesterday's "geddys" live streaming webcam was super ~~but you're right Marja, the camera didn't cover the Pride's location.

Today I've tried and tried to find a working webcam in Gloucester. The city has 3, but sadly, none are working ~~~I'll keep looking.

Many Sailor's will be off to Boston to catch their flights home !!

We wish them all safe travels!:p

And thanks again Jane for your Crossing reports!

Martita B.

I am home and almost 'not rocking' any more. I promised to write about some 'issues' that annoyed me and I have calmed down. They concern waits that were not explained. I ran an ER. In a busy waiting room, it was easy to tell Mrs. Smith that she would be seen for her cold and ingrown toenail after the patient who came in bleeding was seen. Now, she might not like that information, but she can deal with it by leaving or staying.

Upon arrival in Dover we were all waiting in the ports delightful area. OK, I figured they were not ready for us to board since, perhaps, the carpet layers were still installing the rugs. Whatever, some brief announcements were in order. Several people commented that there should have been a hospitality desk, but that didn't bother me. I just wanted to know why we were waiting.

Second time was on Friday when we were to have been processed by immigration in Bar Harbor by about 10. I wandered up then, and spent the next two hours waiting. I had no tour scheduled, but many did, or wanted to get off and roam about. Seems that the US immigration service was clearing a larger HA vessel. OK, then tell me that and I would have been back in my cabin. We were just told there was a delay. I appreciate the PTB had no idea when this would happen, and that's ok, just let me know. By the time we were cleared it was lunch and I bagged going ashore.

The third time was on disembarkation when my 'color' (independent) was skipped. I heard someone being told it was because there was a 'traffic jam' at the port. OK, fine. Just acknowledge that fact and let us know it's not just a mistake.

Maybe these are insignificant, and perhaps not Seabourn-wide. Perhaps it's just the style of the individual CD. Dunno. I think a little information goes a long way to soothe frazzled nerves.

A few other comments: The ship needed another day to clean up and put the finishing touches on the re-fit. The deck was filthy and with rain and the workmen, the dirt had been tracked in on the new carpet. Said carpet is nice, but very light and I don't think it was a good choice for upkeep.

Several cabins, from what I heard, had non-working water, electricity, etc. That happens. In my case, the overbed ceiling lights didn't work. OK, not a biggie but I like to read in bed. The electricians worked diligently to find the cause and then, checked the wiring in the hallway. The weather got way too rocky for anyone to be on a ladder in the hallway. Someone came up with the idea of giving me a floor lamp for the side of the bed which worked like a charm. NB: This is not a complaint, I appreciated all the work they did to figure things out and then, provided me with an alternative. I made sure to tell the HM how much I appreciated their working so hard. The electrician also cneerfully re-connected the CD when I could figure out how to do it.

There were some other CC posters and lurkers onboard. Perhaps they saw things differently. And, I leave in 2 weeks for the Spirit, which will complete my '07 Trifecta.

Hi Jane--the Speculator kid here--you didn't mention the new DJ bit! Was it ok? The idea of a DJ didn't thrill me much, and I haven't heard much about it--except that the DJ was a real good guy! It just doesn't seem to fit Seabourn, but I could be wrong! Don

Hi Jane--the Speculator kid here--you didn't mention the new DJ bit! Was it ok? The idea of a DJ didn't thrill me much, and I haven't heard much about it--except that the DJ was a real good guy! It just doesn't seem to fit Seabourn, but I could be wrong! Don

Hi Don.

The new talent configuration is only on try-out on the Legend, apparently. I think the DJ would work well with a younger, 'stay up late' crowds. It would not have worked with the 'Q-Tip' crossing cruisers. Many of us rarely went to the evening shows. Of course, the weather intervened, as well. I do think that Seabourn is to be commended to try and figure out new ways to accomplish the routines we like and to try new venues. I found a great energy on the Legend.

Wouldn't it be nice, sitting outside of Charley John's, with a beverage of choice? The colors are brightening as we speak.

Archived