What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

For some of us who are getting to be "seasoned" citizens, stepping over a high bathtub rim is very difficult, even if there are adequate grab bars. Actually sitting in the tub and then trying to get out can be an impossibility!

Many cruisers are in this category without having the need for "handicapped accessible" or roll-in showers.

Having NO option but a bathtub/shower combination would be a real challenge.

I'd much rather have a larger shower than a bathtub and/or second sink.

1) Access to an ICE Machine on each floor -- really not expensive for cruise line to do -- already one for stewards -- just give us access to it too.

2) Lunch & dinner menus on TV screen each morning is a superb idea and so very easy & inexpensive for cruise line to do!! Virtually no "cost" to add this service. Once it's programmed in, doesn't need changing for whole cruise season & even for a couple years!!! At same time, post the opening/closing hours of the various dining venues.

3) Slot/pocket on wall by door for key card is easy inexpensive idea.

4) 1 or 2 more electric outlets shouldn't be too hard or too expensive for line to add.

Where duvet covers are used (like now on Princess) at least provide a TOP SHEET!!!

Most beds already are high enough to store luggage under bed.

Recently on Sun Prin where there were dimmer lights by bed, wire baskets & wood shelves in closet where shoes could go --

I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Just a thought, but I don't work for a cruiseline so I really don't know! :)

If I'm not mistaken, most cruise lines keep their clocks on whatever time the ship sails from...for example, if it sails from Florida, all clocks would be on EST for the entire cruise...and all excursions made thru the cruiseline would be on EST, as well. They always told us not to ask a native what time it was, because they sailed on SHIP TIME, not local time. In this case, the clocks would only have to be reset when the time changed...not with every time zone.

Call me alarmist, but some of the ideas are scarey, and cause undo extra work for the hard-working stewards. For example:

Q-tips & cotton balls: Ewww. How do you know they're fresh? Stocking and re-stocking is extra work.

Shoe racks: They would need to be cleaned for the next guests.

Steamers and coffee pots: I prefer fewer hot electrical appliances, to reduce the possibility of someone absent-mindedly leaving them on and having them overheat or malfunction, and....That's why irons are verboten!

Self-service ice machines: No thank you -- it would be another opportunity to transmit unwanted bugs brought aboard.

I'm happy with HAL's stateroom design, having been in their Verandah Suite (not a suite, but a roomy enough stateroom with a small balcony). I would appreciate more outlets by the bed (for DH's sleep machine) and a night light.

This is a great idea for a poll, and fascinating to read. I must get back to work now!

Mrs Muir

What a great post! I really think the key card holder and adjustible lighting are the big ones in my book!

Things like the ipod docking station and q-tips would be nice but not as high on my list.

I wasn't sure what a blow dryer menu was. :o

Funny, because a key card holder doesn't provide any value in my book but an iPod docking station would. I could listen to music as I set my key card down on the counter, along with my money and anything else I carry in my pockets. At night, those things tend to always go into the safe, so that's my offical "key card holder".

At least we agree on not knowing what a blow dryer menu is.

I like the ipod dock, but the rest was way down on the list. Comfortable beds, good bedding, comfortable chairs for reading. Better lighting. I agree with the shower - dump the tub. Better bath products would be nice. Maybe they could upgrade the tvs they have during refurbishings.

hope THEY listen LOL......more outlets for sure, hairdryer without a hot handle,(Celebrity) less expensive laundry and dry cleaning........laundry rooms are always busy and noisy.

Keeping track of time can be a problem. We crossed a time zone, it was announced at the evening meal however, we did not have our meal in the diningroom and were not aware of the time change. We missed the cc party the next morning. Even a travel clock would not have helped.

When I looked at the furniture configuration, I like to have the couch and table closer to the window/balcony than the opposite end of the cabin.

Really like the colours in the picture of the bed coverings etc.

I guess the tradtional "sea" colours, dark blue and white are gone. Does anyone still like the idea of the traditional "sailing decor".... I do.

I don't see where the keycard storage would be a feasable idea because anyone could come in your cabin then, and on the bigger ships, how would you get by without it. I mean it is your sail and sign card on the large ships. May be after the renovations on the small ships.

As for I pod docking, I took 2 with me, and they stayed packed the whole week. Never touched them.

A clock is not a necessity because I learned on last years cruise, to take a clock with me. A small travel clock does not take up that much space. NO more than your Ipod does.

I did not see any problem with the laundry rooms. We go on a port day usually, but this time, waited till after dinner. Got the washers and dryers with little waiting.. 3 min tops.

I don't use a hair dryer, so that is no concern to me. Only use it when the temps are really low and I need to go out on a cold windy day.

reading lamps, who is in their cabin that long? and who reads on a cruise. If you have to read, you are bored and not having fun.

I have taken a book on all 4 of my cruises, and never opened it.

I don't see a problem with the way the cabins are arranged. I am not in my cabin that long anyway. I mainly shower, dress, and sleep. I am on the PR or Lido deck at other times.

I personally like the white bedding that Carnival uses. Wish I could afford to buy it for home.

I would like more electrical outlets because of medical equipment needed throughout the cruise, and camera chargers, etc.

What I want most of all is wifi service in the cabins.

Though I have yet to board my first ship (cruise booked 01/06/08 Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean, balcony stateroom), I would dearly like to have on my wishlist the following:

1. Fold down ironing board (doesn't have to be full sized)

2. An iron (Again, may be of a smaller size, perhaps travel sized)

3. Coffee maker (after hearing many comment on the quality of the coffee on cruises, makes me somewhat apprehensive, as being Canadian I am extremely addicted to my Tim Horton's!)

4. Alarm clock.

As these things are not standard to the room, I am prepared to bring my travel clock, travel iron and one cup coffee brewer complete with Tim Horton's coffee. However, it would be nice to not have to pack them.

Great thread!

Dee

"I don't see where the keycard storage would be a feasable idea because anyone could come in your cabin then, and on the bigger ships, how would you get by without it. I mean it is your sail and sign card on the large ships. May be after the renovations on the small ships. "

Sorry but this response made me lol! The keycard storage is a place to put your key card when you enter your cabin so you don't run around the room looking for the darn thing each time you leave! :p

"I don't see where the keycard storage would be a feasable idea because anyone could come in your cabin then, and on the bigger ships, how would you get by without it. I mean it is your sail and sign card on the large ships. May be after the renovations on the small ships. "

Sorry but this response made me lol! The keycard storage is a place to put your key card when you enter your cabin so you don't run around the room looking for the darn thing each time you leave! :p

sorry, i miss understood. I don't run around looking for it. I just laid mine where the ice bucket is. can't lose it there. Fantasy class ships have this. by the mirror.

Though I have yet to board my first ship (cruise booked 01/06/08 Carnival Valor, Western Caribbean, balcony stateroom), I would dearly like to have on my wishlist the following:

1. Fold down ironing board (doesn't have to be full sized)

2. An iron (Again, may be of a smaller size, perhaps travel sized)

3. Coffee maker (after hearing many comment on the quality of the coffee on cruises, makes me somewhat apprehensive, as being Canadian I am extremely addicted to my Tim Horton's!)

4. Alarm clock.

As these things are not standard to the room, I am prepared to bring my travel clock, travel iron and one cup coffee brewer complete with Tim Horton's coffee. However, it would be nice to not have to pack them.

Great thread!

Dee

Coffee is a problem........you have to go to the specialty coffee shop to get something even close to "coffee" and that is not nearly a mimic of Timmys.

I think the steamer in the poll is to help with travelling "wrinkles" in lieu of the ironing table and iron.

It's a truism in the cruise industry that most ship designers are men. It's another fact that women are generally the primary decision makers when it comes to booking a vacation. So in an effort to build a ship that appeals to females, Celebrity -- which is building the highly anticipated new Solstice -- created an advisory panel of women to, er, help its male designers create a cabin that addresses female preferences (read our report for the details).

In the spirit of nurturing the feminine sides of all of us (guys, too), we want to know: If you were creating the cruise ship cabin (let's make it standard with a verandah), what essential features or design concepts would you most want? The above list was compiled by a group of four women at Cruise Critic; you can vote for as many (or few) of our picks as you want. Some of them are serious -- we mean business -- and others are pie-in-sky wish lists!

Please note: In a couple of cases, a suggestion is already available on a limited basis (such as in-cabin coffeemakers -- European lines often have them and, of the North American cruise lines, NCL is an early adopter). We still include them because good ideas should be spread around.

And please feel free to offer your own suggestions in this thread!

I like balcony cabins, but I'm frustrated by the furniture some cruise lines put on them. Royal Caribbean has a tiny, useless table and two chairs on a standard balcony--but I noticed that Princess (or at least one Princess ship we were docked next to) had a full-height table and two chairs on their standard balconies. This would make even the stand balconies on RCCL a lot more usable. (I don't know about the balconies on other cruise lines.)

If I'm not mistaken, most cruise lines keep their clocks on whatever time the ship sails from...for example, if it sails from Florida, all clocks would be on EST for the entire cruise...and all excursions made thru the cruiseline would be on EST, as well. They always told us not to ask a native what time it was, because they sailed on SHIP TIME, not local time. In this case, the clocks would only have to be reset when the time changed...not with every time zone.

Not necessarily so. On my recent Baltic cruise, we crossed three or four time zones, and had to change our clocks (and watches) each time.

I'd say storage, storage, storage. More shelves, more drawers and more hangers. I LOVE that idea of the shoe rack ... someone mentioned the staff needed to clean those, but if they put in the wire-rack kind, no need for weekly cleaning. That could even fit in the bottom of the closet, on the inside.

I also agree on a magnifying makeup mirror. I wear glasses, and I have to get so close to a regular bathroom mirror to see, that I don't have enough room to wield a mascara wand without hitting the mirror surface.

I'd also like to see more appealing colors in the rooms. Then again, that's such a personal choice, it would be impossible to please everyone.

I agree with everyone who mentioned the configuration of the cabins with the beds next to the doors and windows. The seating should be there - not the beds. We were on the Radiance of the Seas last year and hated the way that cabin was set up. Just got back from being on the Grand Princess in a mini-suite and that set-up was just right. A clock would be nice to have also.

Archived