NCL Dawn Oct 4th-14th, Parking in NYC or NJ?

spudz72

Hi all,

I'm on the above sailing and will be driving from northern new york state the day of the cruise and expect to arrive in the NJ/NYC area around 11am to 12noon time.

I wondering if it would be more cost effective to park at one of the boroughs in NJ and then take a cab to the NCL Dawn Pier in NYC, or just park at the dawns terminal. I check and it appears to be $180 for parking for 10 nights at the terminal.

Do you think it would be much of a savings to park in NJ and then take a cab? Surely someone has had this experience so I thought I'd ask opinions.

Thanks for any help...

there is a reason why you haven't seen this before. It not worth it for the most part.

Weehauken Ferry has a parking lit a cross the river that you can take the ferry accross to 39th street and 12th avenue just south of the Manhattan cruise terminal

http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/terminals/port-imperial.asp

You can then either take a bus, walk or take a cab.

This costs $10.00 per day plus the cost of the ferry(walking and the Ferry bus are free) and a short cab ride. a cab directly from NJ will cost a minimum of $40.00 each way. With the cost of the ferry and two people you will save maximum of $50.00 plus the $6.00 toll and gas but with a significant hassle factor(parking waiting for the ferry getting your luggage and you to the pier)....its why most people drive but here is the info so you can decide yourself.

Not sure where you are coming from , but I always drive to Poughkeepsi exit 18 on the Thruway at New Paltz, and take Metro North in. http://www.mta.info/mnr/index.html Parking is $20/week, ($4/day, free weekends) train about $25 round trip pp and a cab would be cheap from Grand Central, but I take the 42 bus $2 and walk the few blocks to the ship. From Binghamton, I drive to Beacon and pick up the train there. It is more cost effective with 2 people and the train ride spectacular along the Hudson, taking 100 minutes from Poughkeepsi.

Not sure where you are coming from , but I always drive to Poughkeepsi exit 18 on the Thruway at New Paltz, and take Metro North in. http://www.mta.info/mnr/index.html Parking is $20/week, ($4/day, free weekends) train about $25 round trip pp and a cab would be cheap from Grand Central, but I take the 42 bus $2 and walk the few blocks to the ship. From Binghamton, I drive to Beacon and pick up the train there. It is more cost effective with 2 people and the train ride spectacular along the Hudson, taking 100 minutes from Poughkeepsi.

Hmm. That sounds interesting also. It would certainly be easier traffic wise to not have to drive into the metro area. I'm actually coming from Canada and crossing the border at Thousand Islands / Clayton, NY border. So I generally come down 81 all the way to Scranton, PA etc. However If I was to go to Beacon or Poughkeepsie to take this metro I could easily come down I81 just to Syracuse, then take I90 to Albany and south from there on I87 to Beacon or Poughkeepsie.

There are 2 of us in my car, so let me know what you think would be best from our origination point.

Much appreciated...

Hmm. That sounds interesting also. It would certainly be easier traffic wise to not have to drive into the metro area. I'm actually coming from Canada and crossing the border at Thousand Islands / Clayton, NY border. So I generally come down 81 all the way to Scranton, PA etc. However If I was to go to Beacon or Poughkeepsie to take this metro I could easily come down I81 just to Syracuse, then take I90 to Albany and south from there on I87 to Beacon or Poughkeepsie.

There are 2 of us in my car, so let me know what you think would be best from our origination point.

Much appreciated...

To save the Thruway tolls, I would take 81 to Binghamton and then 17 etc. I've done this several times to Beacon. It will add some time compared to stright driving however. I would not drive in a single day from your distance. I am about 3 1/2 hours from Poughkeepsi Westmoreland, thruway exit and manage to get to the ship around 1-2pm.

To save the Thruway tolls, I would take 81 to Binghamton and then 17 etc. I've done this several times to Beacon. It will add some time compared to stright driving however. I would not drive in a single day from your distance. I am about 3 1/2 hours from Poughkeepsi Westmoreland, thruway exit and manage to get to the ship around 1-2pm.

Do you have any idea what the tolls would be on the route I was planning to take? I have plans the day before so I am coming the day of, but we are leaving around 4:00am so should arrive in Beacon around 10am which will be plenty of time to get to the ship from GCT.

I pasted a link which is the one I think you advised to take. Is 17 just a 2 lane highway? I'm assuming so...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=belleville+ontario&daddr=42.012571,-75.349731+to:beacon,+ny&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=8&mra=dpe&sll=42.204107,-75.135498&sspn=3.381223,8.657227&ie=UTF8&ll=42.049293,-74.525757&spn=3.389492,8.657227&z=8&om=1

Thanks.

I think if you are leaving Belleville in the morning, you are cutting it way to close to start tinkering with Ferries or Comuter trains. Stay on 87, head south on the parkway (can't remember the name) that follows the river till the George Washington Bridge. Park at the pier. Traffic into the city shouldn't be too bad. When you get off the ship you will love the convenience of having your car right there.

JMO but have driven from Canada and think you should drive all the way.

I will try to find the name of the Parkway for you. It was very easy and had very little traffic on it.

Off I87 take Palisades (sp?) parkway south to the GWB then 9A (Hudson parkway to the pier and parking. We did it on a Thursday in March last year and it was much easier than expected. Less traffic than entering the GTA :eek: or Island of Montreal at any hour of the day.

I would never take any other route into NYC after doing this one. The best part is there are no trucks allowed on the Palisades Parkway so it is very relaxing.

Good Luck, and happy cruising!

Why would you take achance leavingyour car at a parking lot that has no security, when you could park it at the pier where there is 24 hour security?

IMO, it isn't worth whatever you are saving parking it somewhere else if there is no security while it's parked.

Have you used the Poughkeepsi parking garage??? I have many times, and NEVER a problem. I have also parked many times in Beacon, same thing. I go to NYC about 4 times/year 3-12 days each time over the past several years.

Do you have any idea what the tolls would be on the route I was planning to take? I have plans the day before so I am coming the day of, but we are leaving around 4:00am so should arrive in Beacon around 10am which will be plenty of time to get to the ship from GCT.

I pasted a link which is the one I think you advised to take. Is 17 just a 2 lane highway? I'm assuming so...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=belleville+ontario&daddr=42.012571,-75.349731+to:beacon,+ny&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=8&mra=dpe&sll=42.204107,-75.135498&sspn=3.381223,8.657227&ie=UTF8&ll=42.049293,-74.525757&spn=3.389492,8.657227&z=8&om=1

Thanks.

If you drive to the port, it is $10.55 for NYS tolls from Syr exit 36. Then you have the Jersey tolls and bridge to add.

I agree, it is best to just drive, since you are not coming in early and your distance.

Thanks.

Rt 17 is 4 lanes.

If you drive to the port, it is $10.55 for NYS tolls from Syr exit 36. Then you have the Jersey tolls and bridge to add.

I agree, it is best to just drive, since you are not coming in early and your distance.

There is no toll on the Palisades interstate Parkway, the Bridges(whether its the tappan Zee Bridge or the GWB or the Lincoln Tunnel) is $6.00 without an EZ pass.

Route 17 the Quickway- I believe- is 2 lanes in each direction as is the Thruway most of the way.

BudgetQueen-I would like more info on how you get to NYC.I live near Ithaca,NY and would love this info for future info.Could you email me with detailed info at my name that is what I'm loggin in as here and its yahoo dot com

Thanks from a fellow upstater!

Laura

BudgetQueen-I would like more info on how you get to NYC.I live near Ithaca,NY and would love this info for future info.Could you email me with detailed info at my name that is what I'm loggin in as here and its yahoo dot com

Thanks from a fellow upstater!

Laura

Your email bounced back, feel free to email me. budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Laura - I'm not Budgetqueen but I live near NYC and visit the Binghamton area frequently (and I think Ithica is near Binghamton, correct me if I'm wrong). You can take 1 of 2 ways.

17S to the thruway, thruway to palisades parkway, then take the GWB (then you can follow the directions on the port site)

81 thru PA to Rt. 80 East, follow 80 to GWB (then you can follow the directions on the port site)

Archived