Transfers to Savona

jones721

I know it has been raised before, but has anyone any up-to-date info on how to get to the port of Savona. We will be flying in from the UK and don't know which airport choose. Probably Nice is the best.

Costa do transfers from Nice to Savona and vice versa but as there are 8 of us (4 of these children) I am wondering if the train would be a better option. We intend on travelling light and maybe flying in the night before to avoid any delay in flights. Costa charge £20 per person each way (about $40). That is over $600 both ways.

Or should we maybe fly into Milan and take the train from there? I am trying to find a flight into Genoa but very few around.

Anyone who has flown into any of these ports, I would very much appreciate any information that you may be able to give.

Thanks,

Tracey

if you come from UK, the best solution is the fly to Nice. because you have the free shuttle directly in the airport to savona (almost 1h30 or 2 max). you have the same shutlle from the train station but I think it's more tiring by train and from england you certainly have a night in hotel before the departure.

Just come back from a week on the Costa Fortuna. We flew from the UK to Nice where we stayed a few days before going to Savona by train to pick up the ship. The train tickets, singles, were 10 Euro each, 15 if you wanted 1st class, the journey was about 2 1/2 hours. I liked the option of staying in Nice, loads of low cost flights from the UK, and a lovely friendly city to chill out in. We bought our train tickets the day before, the queues were horrendous, but moved pretty quickly.

We were not informed about free transfers from Nice to Savona. We usually prefer to book a cruise only and then get our own flights at times to suit ourselves, it usually works out cheaper, and we have time to relax for a day or 2 before boarding. We much prefer trains to buses, and at only 80 euro return for 4 adults I thought the train fares were really good value.

The bus from Costa were perfect and after 1h30 we were in Savona. I understand that you prefer the train but it is a little pity to pay a supplement for something free.

For my part I downright drive in savone or in the other ports to have more freedom on the way back. As what!

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the free transfers you are referring to are only part of the package deal with Costa. So, if you book the whole thing as a package, flights and cruise, this also includes the transfers.

However, if you book a cruise only (which is what we have and what rusky123 booked), then transfers are extra. They are not free, £20 per person each way). For the 8 of us that will work out at £320 (or around $640). Wish they were free though!!

I would be interested to hear more about your nights in a hotel and train journey rusky123. I am thinking of maybe staying at least 1 night beforehand. Last year we stopped at Villefranche when we were on Norwegain Jewel and thought the area incredibly beautiful. We took the bus and train from Villefranche to Monte Carlo and that was fairly painless - which is why I thought about taking the train from Nice to Savona. Handy to talk to someone who has already done that. 20 Euros return is slightly less than £40 per person, although I also have to factor in taxi from the train station to the ship and also transfer from the airport to the station (assuming I travel direct from the airport). How much did these two journeys cost? If they were a lot, then maybe the £0 transfers work out better?

Also, where did you stay in Nice, how did you get from the airport and back to the train station and was it a good place for a short break? Is everything really expensive in that area (eating out)? I can fly in on the morning of the cruise but meed to allow for possible flight delays. If I had booked a package then Costa would have looked after me - but by booking separately, I'm on my own!

BA have direct flights into Nice for less than £100 pp. By the time the budget airlines add all the extras, they are around the same.

Thanks for the info about the train and one more question. Was it a pretty journey? We took the bus from Villefranche to Monte Carlo and it was incredibly pretty. Can't remember the return journey on the train.

Tracey

the transfer from nice to savona is free for all of the passengers, with or without transport before. I know that because I book my cruise only , not the transport before and If I want to take the free shuttle, I say simply that to Costa.

maybe it'e different for the passengers who come from UK ...

the transfer from nice to savona is free for all of the passengers, with or without transport before. I know that because I book my cruise only , not the transport before and If I want to take the free shuttle, I say simply that to Costa.

maybe it'e different for the passengers who come from UK ...

I will ask. That would be nice. I know in the Costa brochure, it gives prices of transfers from different airports.

Do you tell Costa when you book the cruise or when you get to the airport. Do you just get on the bus or have to show them a ticket?

Tracey

Hi Tracey, the taxi fare from Nice airport to Nice was about 25 Euro, and the fare from Savona station to the cruise terminal was approx 18 Euro. There is an airport shuttlebus from the airport to the station and back for a few Euro. We walked from our hotel to the station, it took about 15 mins.The train journey was Ok, the trainline hugged the coast and there were views of the Maritime Alps and the Med, although there were a few tunnels.

We had a look at Hotelclick.com and decided to book the 2 star Med1 hotel for 2 nights, it was under £40 a night per room, including breakfast. The accomodation was not the best I have stayed in, although clean, but the location and friendliness and helpfulness of the staff were second to none. Nice is a lovely city,and I would go back there anytime. A good selection of restaurants in all price ranges, we ate at a few higher priced places but my favorite was La Lodge, just off the pedestrian streets going down to the beach, a superb meal, 2 courses on the tourist menu for 13 Euro. Enjoy you cruise, Moyna

We were not informed about free transfers from Nice to Savona. We usually prefer to book a cruise only and then get our own flights at times to suit ourselves, it usually works out cheaper, and we have time to relax for a day or 2 before boarding. We much prefer trains to buses, and at only 80 euro return for 4 adults I thought the train fares were really good value.

Hi,

Just had a look at flights and train timetables. Easyjet fly in from Liverpool (but at the moment, only the winter timetable is out) and BA have some good flights from London. 4 of us are going from up north and 4 from down south.

I have managed to find some train timetables but they are showing around Euro 25 per person (timetable only available about 2 months in advance). Were there plenty of trains and availability if you buy when you are in France? If it is going to be 25Euros per person, I may be better getting the Costa buses as at least these include the transfers.

Tracey

Also looking into hotels.

Hi everyone - we have just booked the Nov. 10 Costa Magica cruise from Savona. Our idea is to fly from NY to Nice and spend a full day in Monte Carlo then find our way to Savona on 11/10 for the cruise. Anyone know the least expensive way to get from the airport in Nice to Monte Carlo and then from Monte Carlo to the cruise terminal in Savona? Also, can anyone recommend a Monte Carlo hotel that won't require we mortage our home for a one night stay? Thanks! -Susan

Royal Olympic Voyager 7/00

HAL Noordam 9/02

Costa Atlantica 10/04

Carnival Imagination 11/05

Viking Spirit 11/06

Costa Magica 11/07

Hi everyone - we have just booked the Nov. 10 Costa Magica cruise from Savona. Our idea is to fly from NY to Nice and spend a full day in Monte Carlo then find our way to Savona on 11/10 for the cruise. Anyone know the least expensive way to get from the airport in Nice to Monte Carlo and then from Monte Carlo to the cruise terminal in Savona? Also, can anyone recommend a Monte Carlo hotel that won't require we mortage our home for a one night stay? Thanks! -Susan

Hi, I have done some research for us next March and may be able to answer some of your questions. When we sailed into Villefranche last year, we took the bus to Monte Carlo and the train back. They were both extremely easy to use and close to each other.

The hotels in Monte Carlo look quite expensive (although try Novotel) so why not do what we are doing and stay in Nice. There is an abundance of hotels here. It seems like the bus from the airport into Nice is Euros4 but this is an all day ticket and will also allow you to get on and off buses. The next day we intend to buy the same ticket and I think it will take you all the way to Monte Carlo (which was a lovely place to visit).

Hi TJones - good ideas you have. What is the distance between Nice and Monte Carlo? Do you think it is easier to get to Savona, Italy by train from Nice than it would be from Monte Carlo? Are they on the same train line? Knowing this would help us understand which city it is more practical to stay in overnight. Thanks for your reply!! -Susan

Jones 721, having read on this post that the transfers between Milan os Nice to Savona are FREE , I contacted Costa UK. If you have booked the airfare travel with Costa , transfers are included. Book your own air travel and a fee is payable. Anyone who has managed to get a free transfer from Milan/Nice to Savona or back again has been very fortunate.

Jones 721, having read on this post that the transfers between Milan os Nice to Savona are FREE , I contacted Costa UK. If you have booked the airfare travel with Costa , transfers are included. Book your own air travel and a fee is payable. Anyone who has managed to get a free transfer from Milan/Nice to Savona or back again has been very fortunate.

Yes, it clearly states in the brochure that there is a fee payable unles you take their package to include flights.

I don't think it is far between Nice and Monte Carlo but someone who has done the route from Nice to Savona would maybe be able to give you more information.

Tracey

Transit time from Savona to Nice is about 1 3/4 hours, Milan(Malpensa aprt) to Savona and vice versa 2 3/4 hours. Burgher King is no longer there in Malpensa, what a shame. We are doing Milan- Savona , "AGAIN" in November, we feel that we know every bump and pot hole in the road now.Fortuneately we fly back from Mauritius this time.

A good selection of restaurants in all price ranges, we ate at a few higher priced places but my favorite was La Lodge, just off the pedestrian streets going down to the beach, a superb meal, 2 courses on the tourist menu for 13 Euro. Enjoy you cruise, Moyna

Any better clues on how to find La Lodge? We will be staying in Nice post cruise from 21st - 29th October. We have stayed before and loved it but are always on the look out for new restaurants to visit.

Our plan is to overnight in Nice before the cruise, get the train to Savona and walk to the ship from the station in Savona. Then to do the opposite on our return. I'll post when we get back to let you know how we got on.

Any better clues on how to find La Lodge? We will be staying in Nice post cruise from 21st - 29th October. We have stayed before and loved it but are always on the look out for new restaurants to visit.

Our plan is to overnight in Nice before the cruise, get the train to Savona and walk to the ship from the station in Savona. Then to do the opposite on our return. I'll post when we get back to let you know how we got on.

Would love to know how you get on with your journey to Savona on the train - and especially from the station to the ship.

This is what I have been able to find out about the trains ( but I am not sure how accurate it is).

Single fares.

Adult Euro 14

Youth Euro 11

Child Euro 7.50

Taxi from station to ship Euro 15

Costa transfer from Nice Airport to ship £20 (don't know in dollars).

We are thinking of staying in Monte Carlo and picking the train up there. This cuts 20 mins off the train time. A train just after 10 gets into Savona around 12.30.

A bit tight on the way back so thinking of taking the Costa transfer.

Would love some feedback after your trip.

Tracey

It's less than a mile from the station to the ship, very flat, and an interesting route. The only obstacle to wheeled luggage is a little pedestrian bridge right by the cruise terminal.

Umm, I would have to see how much luggage I was taking as I don't think we could make it that far with suitcases! Have you done it before? Let me know how you get on.

Have you done it before?

We did it in the opposite direction last May, after getting off the Mediterranea. My mother is 83, and she did fine. There are a number of benches along the way if you need a rest.

This is what it looked like:

And the ship:

I had a look at your photos of the Mediterranea. Did you get up very to have so few people in them?? Shows the ship extemely well.

Savona looks quite pretty. Worth a look. I was just expecting an industrial town (a bit like Livorno which wasn't very interesting).

Thanks,

Tracey

• 3 weeks later...

We travelled with 1 very large suitcase, at about 25 kilos, a small case at about 15 kilos for she who would like to be obeyed and a rucksack. Both cases have handles and wheels for pulling.

We caught the train from Nice at 10:00 getting into Savona at 12:30. This proved to be very good timing as boarding starts at 1:30pm. People who had arrived earlier had gone into town, as although the cruise terminal is very modern there is not a lot to do. Whereas we had time for a relaxing drink in the sun after checking in and waiting for our boarding number to be called.

The walk from the train station to the ship is very easy with, as per a previous post, just a small foot bridge at the cruise terminal to be negotiated. This is no worse than the steps at the railway stations.

For our return we were told, at the customer service desk, that the ship would dock at 09:00 and that we would be very unlikely to catch the 9:30 train to Nice.

We got clearance from security by asking at the same desk if we could take our own luggage of the ship and thereby get off as early as possible, rather than it go in to the coloured baggage label system.

In the event the ship docked around 07:00 and we got off the ship around 08:30 and were in lots of time to catch the train. A couple whose baggage was in the green label section, second to get off the ship, also caught the train, presumably having caught a taxi.

Archived