What ship will replace Majesty

petesweet

I understand the Majesty will be leaving the fleet in the next few years. Does anyone know just when and what ship will replace her out of Charleston? Living in South Carolina, we prefer that port; however, we DID NOT like the Majesty. We'll wait for a replacement.

I understand the Majesty will be leaving the fleet in the next few years. Does anyone know just when and what ship will replace her out of Charleston? Living in South Carolina, we prefer that port; however, we DID NOT like the Majesty. We'll wait for a replacement.

We are sorry to see the Majesty leave Boston. We will be on the last 7 day Boston to Bermuda cruise on Sept 30. This will be our 10th Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty. The Majesty was our very first cruise and now we are hooked.

We cruised out of Charleston on Majesty and had a fine time. She's an older ship, but we had a very nice cruise.

I think the Port of Charleston is somewhat limited in the type of cruise ship they can accomodate. The trend is toward much bigger ships than Majesty, and I have heard the folks in Charleston don't particularly like all those cruise passengers who pass through, clog up the streets, but do not spend much money there.

Charleston is a tourist destination in its own right, and they love visitors, but cruise ship visitors are just there to get on the ship and as soon as they return, they go home.

I know when we went, we drove down from Charlotte, straight to the port, and got on the ship. Went straight home afterwards. I don't think we spent any money there.

I think the majority of Charleston passengers drive in from surrounding areas. Not like Miami where they fly in and often stay in a hotel and make that city a part of the vacation.

I do wish the city could resolve the issues, maybe hit everyone with a $50 surcharge for boarding there to cover the impact (like Alaska did) and then maybe we would see a better selection of cruises from there.

According to NCL's web site, Majesty is cruising Charleston-Bermuda Apr through June 2008, then it's doing BDA from Baltimore through the middle of August, then BDA from Phil through September. According to the captain on the Dream a couple of weeks ago, both the Majesty and the Dream will be leaving NCL's fleet when the new ships come on line. I know they want to replace Dream and Majesty because they weren't designed for free style cruising, and they're also "small." I still find it funny that the Dream is considered a small ship now, when its displacement is bigger than an Iowa class battleship.

New ships being built for NCL are replacing the older ships, and since neither the Dream or Majesty have a designated ship yet. Obviously, the new F3 class being built will replace them for the numers in the fleet, but I believe an older ship such as the Dawn will eventually replace their summer and winter intineraries. I suspect during the winter the Spirit will still continue to be home ported in New Orleans. The Sun appears to be homeported during the summer in Vancouver and during the winter in Santiago/Buenos Aeries.We'll know NCL's thinking a bit more next year. NCL has many options for their mega sized, less than Panamax sized, ships. Although two are sailing as NCLA ships in Hawaii, the Pride of Aloha and Pride of America, the Sun and Spirit can sail out of other locations. By the 2009 season the Spirit should be sailing out of Boston during the summer and out of New York during the winter, with the Sun sailing out of Vancouver during the summer and South America during our northern hemisphere summer. Its really too cloudy where these ships will sail to or where these ships could be home ported. One can easily place the Dawn in Boston, its where the F3 class goes depends where the openings are. If the first F3 goes to New York to replace the Dawn, the Dawn could replace the Majesty.

I know they want to replace Dream and Majesty because they weren't designed for free style cruising, and they're also "small." I still find it funny that the Dream is considered a small ship now, when its displacement is bigger than an Iowa class battleship.

Interestingly enough, we were booked on the first Dream cruise out of Boston. Originally, it was going to be 5/4/08. It then became 5/11/08 - that's the one we were scheduled on. It is now 5/25/08. That allows for a pretty extensive drydock and I wonder if the plans to replace the Dream are not as soon as originally planned.

My first cruise was on the Starward. It was about 15,000 tons. I was in awe of the size. I still can't find my way around a cruise ship.

we did not like the majesty either. it is motel 8 of cruise ships. dining rm food was good, but that is it ,buffet was terrible. i wish there was another ship other than just going to bahamas on carnival. thank goodness we will have a better ship in norfolk next year. goes to new england & nova scotia & also the caribbean.

We are sorry to see the Majesty leave Boston. We will be on the last 7 day Boston to Bermuda cruise on Sept 30. This will be our 10th Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty. The Majesty was our very first cruise and now we are hooked.

I'm open to reconsidering my opinion on the Majesty, especially because of the convenient departure port. Can you tell me what you liked? My biggest disappointment was the small cafeteria and the rude staff. Food was a close second. We're interested in going to Bermuda.

According to NCL's web site, Majesty is cruising Charleston-Bermuda Apr through June 2008, then it's doing BDA from Baltimore through the middle of August, then BDA from Phil through September. According to the captain on the Dream a couple of weeks ago, both the Majesty and the Dream will be leaving NCL's fleet when the new ships come on line. I know they want to replace Dream and Majesty because they weren't designed for free style cruising, and they're also "small." I still find it funny that the Dream is considered a small ship now, when its displacement is bigger than an Iowa class battleship.
It is amazing how the sizes have changed. I remember when the old Sea (Seaward) was considered not only a large ship but a 4 star or higher. It even had 2 main dining rooms, now that was class!!!!

Nita

Archived