Where to buy wine, etc: San Pedro to Laguna

CoolChile

When docked at San Pedro in Oct, we're renting a car and taking the freeway and toll road to Laguna Beach, then returning along PCH.

What are places you'd recommend we stop at to purchase wine (and possibly spirits) along this route? We won't have a lot of time to go to out-of-the-way places, and we are not members of operations like Sam's Club or Costco.

What we're looking for: Reasonably priced wines and good selection . . . duh. :rolleyes: Same for spirits, in case (pardon the pun) we "need" some of that, too. ;)

Trader Joe's is a good bet. There are several nearby your route:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&om=1&msa=0&msid=113004048650495608919.00000111e71630fce841d&ll=33.674069,-117.794037&spn=0.73028,0.821228&z=10

Von's supermarkets and CostPlus World Markets are also good options for good selections and reasonable prices. You can use Google Maps to find one along your route.

Hello..

I notice that I always seem to agree with Splinter on these boards.

Just a piece of extra info re: Trader Joe's locations. You said you're returning via Pacific Coast Hwy. Your easiest location is in Long Beach right ON PCH.

After you've gone through Seal Beach, look for the intersection of PCH/Westminster Blvd (on right), 2nd St (on left). Stay on the right and turn into The Marketplace; drive around to the part of the Marketplace facing Westminster Blvd. and you're there!

It sounds like you know the area, but when you leave you might want to get off of PCH and take 2nd St. through Belmont Shore and then along the Long Beach coastline to downtown LB/Queen Mary area.

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

. . . . Just a piece of extra info re: Trader Joe's locations. You said you're returning via Pacific Coast Hwy. Your easiest location is in Long Beach right ON PCH.

After you've gone through Seal Beach, look for the intersection of PCH/Westminster Blvd (on right), 2nd St (on left). Stay on the right and turn into The Marketplace; drive around to the part of the Marketplace facing Westminster Blvd. and you're there!

It sounds like you know the area, but when you leave you might want to get off of PCH and take 2nd St. through Belmont Shore and then along the Long Beach coastline to downtown LB/Queen Mary area.

murphysmum;)

Hi back murphysmum. Thanks for reponding to me on this thread too. I know the area around Laguna, but not the area you refer to that I've underlined above. It sounds like you're saying to get off PCH at that point for traffic reasons, enroute back to San Pedro. (You already know my fear of missing the ship's departure.:eek: ) So I assume we'll be able to figure out the route you're suggesting by looking at a map. If you think I could use more detail, fine with me!;)

Hi...

Yes, the turn at 2nd St. was suggested both for traffic and visual reasons. At that corner, PCH stops following the ocean and turns inland and its not very attractive. There would be a way (convoluted) that you could go further inland, get on a congested freeway and get to the dock.

However, at that time of day, I would just go down 2nd. 2nd goes through Belmont Shore and becomes Ocean Avenue, with the ocean on the left, homes on the right....closer to downtown, it becomes E. Ocean Avenue(to your left you can see the Queen Mary; after downtown it becomes W. Ocean and then it becomes N. Seaside/47 near the San Pedro ports. You'll have better scenery and a quicker drive.

This will make sense to you if you look at a map of Long Beach/San Pedro (I just tried Google and it comes up easily). Google exactly where your ship is docked and match it to the directions and you'll have no problem.

Also, just FYI: There is a bathroom in Trader's after that drive from Laguna; Trader's has a lovely flower selection if you want to take some nice inexpensive flowers on board to brighten your stateroom. (I never go aboard a ship without flowers.)

Additional thought: The old Cottage Restaurant is still open in Laguna...a GREAT place to stop for late breakfast or lunch...great atmosphere. A walk across the street from there will take you to Heisler Park (ocean bluff park with beautiful views of the Laguna Coast...a tiny gazebo for excellent photo ops). Laguna may be more congested than you remember it, but it definitely hasn't lost it's soul.

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Thanks to all who answered my query ... because of you, DH and I should be happily fed and watered and not get lost on our sojourn to and from Laguna. Murphysmom, drop me an quick e-wave if you get a chance before you leave for . . . wow, Venice (see my other thread). Your info on both threads is extremely helpful . . . . I'll have to pay it forward.:)

Another thought for you .. when we were in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago we rented a GPS with our car and let it do the navigating .. we were never lost. We have learned however, that sometimes a GPS wants to go a different way than we do, so we start off the way we want to go and then the GPS has to "recalculate" so it all works out. In addition, they are quite good at estimating times between to places and adjusting that as you go also.

Archived