Interning on the Explorer

[quote name='bubbadog']hmmmmm.........me thinks this not good idea,maybe get an interview of him and his job,duties etc etc,have fun tho:))[/QUOTE]

This school project has gone from a couple weeks "interning" to an interview.
I vote with you save the money and do an interview via phone or email.

Becky who is a wonderful cruise director is now training cruise directors in Miami, she would be a wonderful person to interview.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is dead...
But I shall revive it!

Latest e-mail from the RC representative helping me with my situation.

[I]Dear Marissa,

Thank you for your patience. Yes, I did receive your attachment letter and have forwarded it to the Explorer of the Seas and am waiting to get confirmation back from them.

I will be in contact with you again soon.[/I]

So the thing is, I spent some time writing a formal position paper/outline of what I wanted accomplished. Dave Chapman claimed that he would put together a file with my information so that in case his schedule changes and isn't on the ship, whoever I shadow has the information.

Thoughts? Comments? Random stuff? The name of your dog?
All is appreciated :D

If I worked in RCCL corporate I would forward you request to the Teen Program which according to their website is where" Teens 15-17 years of age can play games and sports, join parties and contests. They can also hang out at Fuel, our teen-only club; The Living Room, a teen lounge; and The Back Deck, a private outdoor area for teens. " I am sure one of the counselors on board can assist in your project. They are trained to work with kids your age and would help to get to the right people. The program is designed to help kids your age, and I am sure they can assist you with your project.

The teen program seems to be run very well. A cruise should be for fun and not school work. If you are interested in a marine career there are camps where kids can learn about opportunites at sea.

Here is Mass Martime

[url]http://www.maritime.edu/l2.cfm?page=34[/url]

They run a extended weekend program for potential students. It is free of charge and next summer you will be the perfect age.

The Coast Guard Academy may have a similar program
[url]http://www.cga.edu/display.aspx?id=3100[/url]

[quote name='alexkrn46']If I worked in RCCL corporate I would forward you request to the Teen Program which according to their website is where" Teens 15-17 years of age can play games and sports, join parties and contests. They can also hang out at Fuel, our teen-only club; The Living Room, a teen lounge; and The Back Deck, a private outdoor area for teens. " I am sure one of the counselors on board can assist in your project. They are trained to work with kids your age and would help to get to the right people. The program is designed to help kids your age, and I am sure they can assist you with your project.

The teen program seems to be run very well. A cruise should be for fun and not school work. If you are interested in a marine career there are camps where kids can learn about opportunites at sea.

Here is Mass Martime

[url]http://www.maritime.edu/l2.cfm?page=34[/url]

They run a extended weekend program for potential students. It is free of charge and next summer you will be the perfect age.

The Coast Guard Academy may have a similar program
[url]http://www.cga.edu/display.aspx?id=3100[/url][/QUOTE]

Oooh, these actually sound very cool.
Do you have a link which I can find out more about the first thing you described?

The thing is, I don't want my shadowing to be anything special, you know? I just kind of want the real deal. A regular cruise with a cruise director's staff. Just a normal situation.

But thank you! I'll consider these options.

http://www.maritime.edu/pdf/SSLCamp.pdf

They do charge now, it was free ( or cost to it 5 years ago). It was a great way for students considering admission to see what this college can offer. Some graduates work for RCCL as officers.

You won't be able to get the real deal with the cruise director. Your age prohibts you from participating in most of their activities. Bingo, Disco, Quest and Love and Marriage are all adult. Bingo and the Disco they check id's and Quest and Love and Marriage there is always a disclaimer that it is adult oriented. The corporate part of the business they will not let a passenger view and the crew areas are off limit to all passegers. This eliminates most of what the CD does.

We had a new cabin attendent on one of our cruises. It is mandated that all crew spend days, viewing fire safety and training. The crew director is also part of this process, anybody who was shadowing would also have to be trained. I don't see that happening on a cruise since it is unsafe to have an untrained person to be responsible for during a crisis.

The youth program maybe able to open some doors since it is their job to keep teenagers happy. They might have some connections so you could get an interview.

enjoy your cruise.

Hi Marissa,

This is quite an entertaining and informative thread you have started here:)

Firstly I would like to say that I admire your determination and motivation and if you apply this in your future working life, you will succeed no matter what.

However ..... it is not going to happen this way. Please trust me when I tell you that you can not "shadow" the CD onboard. I understand that Dave has sent you an email via RCI customer services, but he clearly thinks that you are a full paying passenger who is interested in finding out a little more about the job he is involved in, while enjoying a family vacation and having a good time. I do not believe he is completely aware of the project you have in mind.

At the end of the day - you are too young ... full stop.

The reason I am in the position to tell you so: I have worked in the cruise industry for the past 16 years, first working onboard for many years and now recruiting management for the onboard hotel operation. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are too young to even think about interning on a cruise ship. There are many reasons for that, some of them include security aspects, health & safety and basic safety trainings. I could go on and on and on ...

My suggestion to you: find an alternative project for school, finish your education, get a little experience working within the hospitality industry and then, if you still think its for you, apply for a position onboard. In the meantime, enjoy your cruise vacations with your family and don't forget to have fun!

Good Luck!

Daniela

Bingo, Disco, Quest and Love and Marriage are all adult. Bingo and the Disco they check id's...

On Liberty in August there was Family Bingo; in fact, on the announcements the Cruise Director made a joke and said, 'Yes folks, as a matter of fact we do encourage underage gambling!"

Just thought I'd mention it. But I do fully understand everything you said, and do agree with your comments. :)

daniela2002, excellent post.

Hi Marissa,

This is quite an entertaining and informative thread you have started here:)

Firstly I would like to say that I admire your determination and motivation and if you apply this in your future working life, you will succeed no matter what.

However ..... it is not going to happen this way. Please trust me when I tell you that you can not "shadow" the CD onboard. I understand that Dave has sent you an email via RCI customer services, but he clearly thinks that you are a full paying passenger who is interested in finding out a little more about the job he is involved in, while enjoying a family vacation and having a good time. I do not believe he is completely aware of the project you have in mind.

At the end of the day - you are too young ... full stop.

The reason I am in the position to tell you so: I have worked in the cruise industry for the past 16 years, first working onboard for many years and now recruiting management for the onboard hotel operation. I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are too young to even think about interning on a cruise ship. There are many reasons for that, some of them include security aspects, health & safety and basic safety trainings. I could go on and on and on ...

My suggestion to you: find an alternative project for school, finish your education, get a little experience working within the hospitality industry and then, if you still think its for you, apply for a position onboard. In the meantime, enjoy your cruise vacations with your family and don't forget to have fun!

Good Luck!

Daniela

Excellent Post,

Have a good cruise Marissa.

• 5 months later...

Just to shock some life into this thread again...

I came back from the Celebrity's Mercury in March and I had a wonderful time interviewing and getting to know the cruise director, Damian de Lorenzis. I didn't even ask, but he offered me a private backstage tour and it was tons of fun :] I also got to take a look inside the office because we were experiencing some last-night difficulties with the confirmation letter he had to write out for my school.

It's wonderful to had special permission, I must say!

As for whatever happened to me shadowing Dave Chapman? Well, I got to interview him A LOT. I had little conversations and such between school work too and I got to interview the activities manager, Tim Connor, as well.

Tah dah! And that's my little tid-bit!

Archived