QE2's reincarnation

danceman

I must tell you all about a completely true story that happened to us about 4 years ago. Ive already tried to post this once but it gets deleated off so im going to try again but giving less factual info. Here we go....

About 4 years ago i took a dance group on the Norwegian Sea to Mexico. All went well until the last night. Unfortunately, while general dancing in the lounge, one of our group had a major heart attack. He seemed completely lifeless and it was some 10 minutes before the ships doctor arrived. Various attemps to resusitate were made but it all appeared to be in vain. After about 15 minutes an erratic and irregular heart beat was detected and he was taken to the ships hospital. There seemed to be little hope and his heart stopped and started many times and we heard the ships medical staff discussing that if he did survive he would most likely be brain damaged as he had gone without oxygen for so long.

He was taken off the ship early next morning and he remained in a Houston hospital for 6 months apparantly in a unresponsive state. It was very difficult to find out any info about him as he had no immediate family. About 9 months later his brother rang me to update me to say that he had been flown back to England and was now making slight progress but couldnt do anything for himself including speak or seem to have any memory but that he was slowly improving.

18 months after this sad incident we were onboard QE2 sipping cocktails in the ballroom when one of the gentlemen hosts asked my wife if she would like to dance. She politely refused but i was suddenly transfixed....this man looked familar...in fact he looked like the man who had a heart attack 18 months ago on the Norwegian Sea who died many times over ! Surely this cant be the man who was all but a vegatable? I waited for him to walk past so i could see his name badge.

IT WAS HIM! I called his name and he said yes! I asked if he knew who we were and he said no so i told him the story.....he knew some of it and then realised who we were as he had been told by relatives what had happened and details of the event but he had no memory of anything that had happened to him prior to his heart attack.....except....he could still dance!

We had a good old chat, he looked as well as ever and then a Jive came on. As he excused himself to go and ask a lady to dance it with him, my wife called back to him jokingly 'dont do a Jive again you know what happened last time you did one!

He seemed happy and his normal self ....he just didnt know who anyone was!

Its an amazing story.....if you had seen him as we did on that night he had the heart attack....you would have sworn he could not possibly survive or at the very best be permanently brain damaged....it just goes to show what miracles can happen. It was 15 minutes before there was any kind of heartbeat!

But what is even more amazing is that he has now come back almost reincarnated as a gentleman host on the QE2!......now im not suggesting all of the hosts have died and been brought back to life for QE2's final season but i have a sneaky suspicion that not all of those walking frames are for the passengers!

I swear this is a true story.

Danceman,

What a marvelous and inspiring story!

We here, have lost so many in the past year (Another of Marc's aunt's died this week, and we just found out a neighbor's mother is going through much the same as what my father went through before he died last year. My boss's father died recently, and there have been some seriously sad people around me (including me!).

It is so uplifting to hear a tale like this,

What is his name? If he is still on in April,. I shall seek him out!

Karie,

who loves a happy ending!

different bloke!

yes, i'm back. been away.

Hey! We've missed you! And goodness, it's been so long you need to put up a new picture of dear Itty Bitty--he's probably looking lots older by now. He's not shaving yet or driving motorcycles, is he?

Happy to see you back,

Mr. Danceman,

Loved your story! The power of the human spirit and well, the good old body, sometimes, too. Can you share his name? If I had the opportunity (and he asked) I'd be happy to dance with him when onboard QE2, just to be in the presence of that kind of spirit. Or just know he's around and know there's a story with a happy ending.

Death is so wretched and tedious and boring--talking about and celebrating life is so much better. ;) Shame on anyone who removed your story...it's great. Couldn't have hoped for a better ending.

not that i know of.

Well I know for a fact there was a Gary Stronach once on the racetrack. If he'd rather not be noticed, of course that is fine. It's also quite likely it could be two people with the same name. Just checking. :)

Archived