Name change, passport, then cruise

surfsidebeach

Hello, I am trying to figure out some timeframes.. we want to go on a cruise in Feb 23, 2008... we are looking at one that leaves out of Miami and goes to Belize, Honduras, Mexico, and the Bahamas.. I believe since there are two Central America stops we would need a passport. Well we are getting married this next week and will be back from our honeymoon on Oct 9th... she will have to change her name, then get a passport -- all in time for our cruise... what are the timeframes for getting a name change (what needs to be done in what order.. license, SS card, etc)... then typical standard passport times.. I would hate to have to pay for expediated services for this if possible...

Thanks in advance!

Make sure that the cruise is booked under the name on the passport.

Then as soon as she gets the marriage license back (at least in Texas they mail it a few weeks after the wedding), take the marriage license and change her drivers license, then go to the local SS office and change her name, then apply for the passport. I would expedite just for the piece of mind. But you will probably be ok if you take care of everything as soon as possible.

Another option is to book in her maiden name, apply for the passport in her maiden name and change everything when you get back from the cruise.

I didn't change my name when I married and while not for everyone it has worked well for us.

One other thing to consider is that you can cruise on this itinerary with just a BC and DL. Belize and Roatan do not require a passport for cruise ship visitor stays of less than 24 hours.

Get a second certified BC now, and book the cruise with the name you expect to have on the DL by February. If the passport arrives in time, fine. If not, you have a plan B.

Don't know if the rules have changed but a couple of years ago a friend was in the same situation (passport with maiden name, booked with married name) and she just took a copy of her marriage license showing the new name along with her passport and she was fine.

Archived