Grand Asia Pacific

LibLively

I'd love to hear from anyone on Regent's Grand Asia Pacific cruise. We have signed up for it next year, and I would be interested to know what excursions you, who are on this year's cruise, have enjoyed the most. Has anyone signed up for the Circle of Interest Private Tours this year? We usually do private tours which I arrange, but I'd be intersted to hear how the Circle of Interest tours compare with private tours for 6-8 people. Did anyone do a pre-cruise package? If so, which one/s? I've also noticed Regent has discounted some legs of the cruise this year. Do you get a refund if you paid a higher price because you signed up early? Any info would be appreciated as I am beginning to plan our cruise programs for our voyage next year.

Thanks, Jan. Wonderful narrative. The itinerary in Japan is quite different than next year's. Sorry you didn't post pictures of Shanghai and Hong Kong--we'll just have to see for ourselves. Did you think RSSC did a good job on the shore excursions or would you have preferred to do them privately--even though more expensive?

Generally, Regent does a good job on excursions...but they are always dependent on the local operator. We usually do a mix..both just exploring on our own, private guides, and tours. I have some pictures of Shanghai and Hong Kong and will find them. In Shanghai, we did a ship's tour that included the "old section" and the second day I just explored on my own. There was a ship's shuttle into town and I could walk to the museum..which I wish I had seen more of...to the shopping, park, etc. Since we had been to Hong Kong before, we did our own thinkg. The buses are super easy to use in Hong Kong so we rode one around to Stanley Market...which is not as big or as good as it once was and back. We also took the ferry across. The ferry piers are right outside the cruise terminal. Hong Kong is very easy to get around and to see the sites without a guide. If it is your first time, you might want to try a guide or a highlight tour just to get a feel of the place.

When we want a private guide, we usually just book with the tour desk. They are more expensive, but then the ship knows where you are and you don't have to worry about getting back. With the exception of the private guide we had in Beijing, we have been very happy with the guides booked through the tour desk. Again, it is dependent on the local operator. There were so many people who wanted a private tour of the Forbidden City that they had a lot of new guides. We had a young man and were his very first guiding experience. He spoke English very well and we had no trouble with his accent and he was pleasant...he just wasn't very knowledgeable. We did the ships tour to the Great Wall as we had booked the Xian extension off the ship. That worked well and we could do our own thing at the wall..I walked part of it, my husband didn't.

We loved the Grand Asia Pacific and will certainly do it or parts of it again. We are doing Europe and then South America and then the Navigator Discovery Cruise next fall.

Jan

Archived