Stupid question, which water shoes?

Aleciajoyful1

I know they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, so here it goes. My DH and I are debating on what water shoes to get for Hawaii. We plan to snorkle and beachcomb as much as we can so we want to be safe and comfortable.

The choices for us are: crocs (which I personally find ugly), the old fashioned black rubber sole mesh slip ons (which tend to get stinky) or these new rubber shoes (same material as crocs) from Skechers in a more fashionable style than crocs. DH does not want to look like a geek so I'm just wondering "what everyone is wearing this season"...

I appreciate any input!

LOVE my Tevas, and loved them in Hawaii more than ever. They are rugged for rough footing, secure on your foot, waterproof, and shed water quickly.

Where do most people buy these? I have those regular water shoes, might be time to upgrade.

• Administrators
Where do most people buy these? I have those regular water shoes, might be time to upgrade.

I actually got mine at a discount footwear store near my house -- DSW was the name, but I've seen them at other "strip mall near the REAL mall" shoe outlets. I also price shopped them on Ebay, and that's where we got my SO's. Mine were $25.99, and his were less -- think about $20 with shipping.

• Administrators
Hi Michell. Do you have the Tevas that have the toe strap and the heel/ankle strap? I have 3 pairs of Teva flip flops (and love them) but find the other style looks so unfeminine on me. But if they are more practical, I'm in!

Yes, mine have the strap across the toes (adjustable) and the strap around the ankle (adjustable in two places). They don't look that "cute" in the box but even on my size 10 foot, they looked fine -- and handled terrain, water, etc. even better. Of course, with my size 10 foot, some might say I might as well wear the box as the shoe! ;)

Ok, call me old fashioned, and promise not to laugh! I found my old water shoes tucked away in the back of my closet from at least 15-20 years ago. They were the slip-on Nike rubber-type shoes, and they worked perfectly well on the beaches...you will need something on your feet when you snorkel at some of the beaches due to the coral and rugged bottoms. Believe me, I don't think anyone cared what we had on our feet - they worked, and they are now at the back of my closet once again.

Brought a pair of Merrell waterproof sneakers and my Tevas flip flops. Both got a lot of use. The Merrells were great for climbing down to the Olivine Pools on Maui - didn't lose traction even when wet. Bought them at Dick's Sporting Goods. Got the Tevas at DSW.

Just returned from Hawaii and lived in our Tevas. They were excellent for the hiking we did. No slipping at all. Not the flip flop type though. Toe and heel strap for the extra support.

We did do a hike though and the guide was wearing these really ugly shoes called "Tavis" (spelling might be off). He kept saying they were the best for hiking, even better than Tevas. They can be purchased on the islands to. They have a mesh type bottom and a sock type top. Hideous looking things, but they seemed to work.

Archived