Please recommend tour guide in Gibraltar

Gibralter is pretty easy on your own. Take a look at Rick Steve's Europe Guide. He has some suggestions. Don't think you need an organized tour unless you are docking in Malaga which is about 1-2 hour drive depending on traffic. Duty free shopping and the apes....not sure what else you want to see/do. Food is so so compared to the wonderful restaurants in Spain and along the Costa del Sol.

Marty

Please recommend tour guide in Gibraltar....we can't get any to return emails. Want to book a tour with other people we have met on Cruise Critic's.

Can anyone help us with this.

I also had difficulty getting a response, it took about 6 weeks 'til I finally heard from info@gibraltartours.org

Mark W Gracia was the name of the respondant.

But, I decided not to book with them as they seemed to be marginally more expensive than those tours readily available on the dock.

Please recommend tour guide in Gibraltar....we can't get any to return emails. Want to book a tour with other people we have met on Cruise Critic's.

Can anyone help us with this.

booking tours in gibraltar is pretty informal.

i was told to look for a taxi van and ask the driver for a tour, and sure enough the advice was good. the tour starts right outside the main square (or at the parking lot right outside of town) and it's 20 euros per person. i think it was 2 hours. anyways, the van holds 6-7 people and the driver will drive you around town, to a monument overlooking the atlantic and mediterranean, then further up to the st. michael's cave (your 20 euros includes entrance to the caves) where you spend about 30-40 minutes. after you continue your drive up the rock, stopping at the top for photos and monkey observing. do NOT bring food with you! those monkeys won't hesitate to snatch it from you. after driving down the rock your driver will ask if you where you want to be dropped off.

here is more info: http://www.gibtaxi.com/

Thanks for the info. How recent was your trip? The website you gave has the cost of (from) 7 GP which is about $14 and you said about 20 euros which is about $28, so should we be paying in GP for a better rate? Or maybe the website is an older price?

Thanks for the info. How recent was your trip? The website you gave has the cost of (from) 7 GP which is about $14 and you said about 20 euros which is about $28, so should we be paying in GP for a better rate? Or maybe the website is an older price?

i was there last november. i don't know if the price is lowered or if it's old or if i got a bad deal. but at least it gives you a price range and how to get a tour. they use the british pound, but also accept euros since they are so close to spain.

The pricing is confusing because taxis quote GBP7 or 8 but that's only the taxi price, there's GBP8 entry fee to the rock area which you'll have to pay in addition. Tour companies include the entry fee in their quote.

Booking guides ahead hardly ever happens in Gibraltar - there are usually taxis available. If you cannot find one, you can walk into town and you will find more in the big square and then at 2 more points along Main Street - if you look like a tourist, the taxi drivers will notice you :)

I think that it is £15 for the whole taxi tour and entrance fees, I think that the ship tours are a little more expensive. It may work out more expensive f there are just 2 of you sharing a taxi - the drivers will sometimes encourage you to make up a party.

The other way of getting up the rock is the cable car. Works out just about the same price, but takes a little longer as you have to get to the cable car and you have to wait for the car. Only a problem if you are on one of the whistle stop 2hour stays.

As the previous poster said - do be careful about having food near the apes. They are also excellent at unwrapping ice creams as my kids have found out several times. They are famous for stealing cameras and sunglasses - but they are worth a visit.

Enjoy Gibraltar, and when you get to Casemates give a wave to me in my office opposite the taxi rank.

I loved seeing the monkeys but always warn everyone now to take a towel to put over your shoulder. We didn't know to do that, and some in our group (okay, that would include me) were stinky on the shoulders where the monkeys sat. :) It was worth it, so no regrets for me, but a towel would have been nice. ;)

We had really good luck with a great tour with a good taxi driver that we hired right after walking off the ship (we left the ship in a fun group of 8). Note that we could pay in Euros or British pounds, but the better deal was to pay in pounds if you have them.

Happy travels,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Gibralter on 27th August. We followed the advice of this board and were very pleased to have done so. As you leave the ship there will be a whole fleet of taxi vans that hold about 6-8 passengers. You do not need to negotiate prices as they have a diector there who will organise groups if you do not have your own and will find an appropriate driver for you. There is a basic tour for 2 hours or I think for $5 more you can add 30 minutes and visit the seize tunnels. We were pleased to have done this but it would be difficult for those who have trouble walking. I think that it was about $50 per person. I felt that for our family of 4 it was excellent value. My only regret was that reading these boards had made me too frightened of the monkeys. They are not as bad as you read - unless they were on their best behaviour the day we visited. LOL! Enjoy Gibralter.

Jennie

We just did this about 3 weeks ago. There will be MANY taxis on the pier. Just walk off the ship and go up to the taxis. It looks chaotic but is quite well organized. I think we paid 30 euros each for a 2 hour tour. We did not visit the siege tunnels. We were dropped off at the far end of the shopping area so we could walk through it and stop for lunch on our way back to the ship. Easy to do.

Archived