Using Laptop on Azamara

xgwoman

Hi. I'll be on the Nov. 24th Quest and can hardly wait, even after 23 previous cruises!!!! My question is: Does anyone know if Azamara charges (and what the charges are) for use of personal computers in room? I remember Celebrity had horrendous charges for this but offered some credit for Capt Club status on the public computers. I am traveling Elite this time for the first time with Celebrity. Obviously, I won't bother taking my 'puter if they are still charging.

Hi. I'll be on the Nov. 24th Quest and can hardly wait, even after 23 previous cruises!!!! My question is: Does anyone know if Azamara charges (and what the charges are) for use of personal computers in room? I remember Celebrity had horrendous charges for this but offered some credit for Capt Club status on the public computers. I am traveling Elite this time for the first time with Celebrity. Obviously, I won't bother taking my 'puter if they are still charging.

Hi Xgwoman !

From what we have heard, yes there are charges, and they are the same rates as Celebrity. The good news is.... there are discounts if you buy the minutes in bulk, but any unused minutes are non-refundable. I know in the Celebrity coupon book, there is also an additional discount, but I believe it only adds extra minutes, and not a reduction in cost. I am not totally positive that Azamara has a coupon book, and if that coupon is included.

I know that some have reported, on Journey, the internet access was extremely slow, and at times unreliable. I also recall some posters saying they had problems connecting to Outlook Express. I hope these issues will be resolved by the time Quest makes her debut.

Hopefully, some past passengers can add or correct my comments. I am sailing on Quest in October, and would like to hear more about this myself.

Hi Xgwoman !

From what we have heard, yes there are charges, and they are the same rates as Celebrity. The good news is.... there are discounts if you buy the minutes in bulk, but any unused minutes are non-refundable. I know in the Celebrity coupon book, there is also an additional discount, but I believe it only adds extra minutes, and not a reduction in cost. I am not totally positive that Azamara has a coupon book, and if that coupon is included.

I know that some have reported, on Journey, the internet access was extremely slow, and at times unreliable. I also recall some posters saying they had problems connecting to Outlook Express. I hope these issues will be resolved by the time Quest makes her debut.

Hopefully, some past passengers can add or correct my comments. I am sailing on Quest in October, and would like to hear more about this myself.

It is $65 cents a minute but the price per minute comes down if you buy a package. They appear to have the ports blocked for outgoing sending to your smtp server. You can recieve through a regular e-mail program but not send. For e-mail you need to send from a web portal. They have pretty much walled off their internet access.

The coupon adds minutes.

It is $65 cents a minute but the price per minute comes down if you buy a package. They appear to have the ports blocked for outgoing sending to your smtp server. You can recieve through a regular e-mail program but not send. For e-mail you need to send from a web portal. They have pretty much walled off their internet access.

The coupon adds minutes.

Hi Charles !

It looks like I had most all of it right. Quick question..... Will Outlook Express work onboard ? (sounds like it), Do you mean I can only recieve through Outlook Express ? If I wanted to respond to an incoming email, how would I do it ? Would I have to go to the internet cafe, and use their email software ?

I do have to stay in touch with work during my cruise, and I want to make sure I have the bases covered. Thank you !

Hi Charles !

It looks like I had most all of it right. Quick question..... Will Outlook Express work onboard ? (sounds like it), Do you mean I can only recieve through Outlook Express ? If I wanted to respond to an incoming email, how would I do it ? Would I have to go to the internet cafe, and use their email software ?

On our O cruise this year I could not download mail to/from OE..I have to use webmail account

EG: yahoo

Good thing my server is routed through Yahoo but then I have to be quick to save $$. ;)

Someone suggested Gmail... not sure how that works

Hi Charles !

I do have to stay in touch with work during my cruise, and I want to make sure I have the bases covered. Thank you !

I don't use Outlook Express but I do use an equivalent internet e-mail program on my laptop that works like it. I could receive my e-mail but not send. Since my e-mail provider also has a webmail portal to my e-mail I used that instead.

If your e-mail provider does not have a webmail portal, one solution is that you can get a Gmail account and thru Gmail have your e-mail from your usual POP account forwarded to Gmail.

• 2 weeks later...

We brought our laptop (August, Journey) and used the ship's wi-fi access in our cabin. It was slow. To initiate a package we had to go to the internet cafe -- and once during the cruise the internet went down and we had to go to the internet cafe to restart our package (that was a bit of a pain).

We both received and sent e-mail via aol. I usually use aol when I travel because it is always available -- my home e-mail is difficult to access when on the road. E-mail is what I use exclusively to communicate with folks at home when we are out of the United States.

At least the cost and lack of speed of the internet was offset by our ability to compose off line. We purchased a package but in one short week it turns out we would have done better to purchase the minutes individually. It is hard to know in advance how those internet minutes will go.

I suppose most everyone else has thought of this but just in case I will tell you what I have learned. Due to the high cost of internet fees I would use WORD for free and compose my messages. Then when I went into the internet to check my email I would attach my WORD document as an attachment. It cut my bill by 4 times since I was only paying for the time on the internet, not the time composing.

I have been successful (rarely!) at making a WiFi connection from my cabin's verandah when in port (not tendered, obviously). You may also achieve a connection by taking the laptop ashore to a park.

I take my laptop, regardless of internet access, just to keep track of my expenses in Quicken, and to access my calendar. Also, to download the pics from our digital camera and share them with others.

As a past Celebrity cruiser I have found their "bulk" email munutes purchases to be OK. On the subject of connectivity, my internet provider - Comcast - Had me change my Internet Options (under "tools") on your Outlook Express. This involves 10 seconds of adjustment to change the portal setting. I like using Outlook Express as I download all my incoming email, then disconnect. I then answer and compose replies off line, click "send", and have the outgoing in my "Out box". I then re-connect, and click "send and receive all". My usual email sessions then only use 1 or two of my pre-purchased minutes. This is very slick. You should check with your IP (internet provider) to see if they require a portal change, and how to do it.

Does Journey have any "hot spots". I have been spoiled by some of the newer ships that have....ready?...wifi in my cabin!!!

Does Journey have any "hot spots". I have been spoiled by some of the newer ships that have....ready?...wifi in my cabin!!!

As stated in my cruise docs "Wireless access is available throughout the ship" I did not use it but i was successful in making a connection from my balcony while in port in Hamilton...:)

As a past Celebrity cruiser I have found their "bulk" email munutes purchases to be OK. On the subject of connectivity, my internet provider - Comcast - Had me change my Internet Options (under "tools") on your Outlook Express. This involves 10 seconds of adjustment to change the portal setting. I like using Outlook Express as I download all my incoming email, then disconnect. I then answer and compose replies off line, click "send", and have the outgoing in my "Out box". I then re-connect, and click "send and receive all". My usual email sessions then only use 1 or two of my pre-purchased minutes. This is very slick. You should check with your IP (internet provider) to see if they require a portal change, and how to do it.

You will have WiFi in your cabin on Journey.

Archived