What's your favorite beer in the Caribbean?

Snorkel Dawg

For me, an old beer wholesaler, it doesn't get any better than Trinidad-brewed Carib.

The Port-of-Spain brewery (partially owned by Heineken) uses British malt, European hops and cane sugar.

When they buy Barbados cane for a run it excells! LOL

There are others that come close (forgive me Banks), but Carib takes-the-cake. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 9% ABV microbrew at a place in Georgetown, GC called Hammerheads. Can't remember the name of it though. I asked the waitress what was on tap, and was just happy to hear that there was local microbrew, and even though it was quite warm, I decided to have a 20oz glass of this very hefty brew.

Reminded me of the winter ales we get up here in the Northeast.

And, while technically not really in the Caribbean, I do like Kalik Gold (Bahamas).

Mexican Caribbean: I really enjoyed the Negro Modelo at Casa Denis.

Yo Scoot,

That sounds kinda like something I get when we go to the late Chicago Bear Walter Payton's place in Aurora IL, The Roundhouse (an old train roundhouse which has been beautifully renovated into a resturant, museum, several smaller clubs, cigar bars etc inside). They serve an awesome 7 micro brew beer sampler that goes from a ultra light to a kind of "motor oil" & trust me when you get to the last of the 7, it's hammertime as well. Then I have the wife drive me home.

Hey Dawg,

Certainly does sound about right! The Roundhouse sounds like a pretty decent place! If I'm ever in the area, I'll have to look it up.

They say Guinness is like a meal? Well, this stuff was the meal, and a hefty dose of dessert also. Quite a bit of malt/malt syrup.

Probably be pretty good at cutting the heat of some of that hot and spicy Caribbean fare too!

• 3 months later...

Yo Smokin,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definately look for a cold EKU while in St. Lucia!

I was quite surprised to hear from you that EKU is now brewed in St. Lucia.

I was born in Germany, my mother was from Kulmbach where EKU and three other beers are curently brewed. The others are Monchshof Brau, Kulmbacher, & Kapuziner. I live in the US since I was a baby but have wenr back to visit twice & fondly recall enjoying the great local beers in Kulmbach. Thanks again & maybe you would enjoy this website...

http://www.kulmbacher.de/de/klbag/

SVG is shorthand for "Saint Vincent and the Grenadines".

Oh and I have had EKU 28 on multiple occassions. I would also have Samiclaus and have them battle it out.

For other posters, a picture of EKU 28 can be found in the dictionary next to the word "narcolepsy".

Oh it is not 28% alcohol, I think 28 refers to degrees plato, which measures the sugar in the wort. The ABV is 11%.

Archived