Marraige License??

Mschif78

I was just reading on another post, I might need my marraige license to board???? Well, where does it say this on their site? Ive never been told this. Jeesh- one more thing to get/do this week before I leave. I hope they give it to u the same day!

Kerry

Well if you ticket is in one name, and your passport is in another- a marriage license (or court order) is generally the only way to verify that "both" people are you.

The best thing to do would be to make sure your cruise tickets are in the same name as your identification. Then you should not need a marriage license at all.

I've never been asked for a marriage license, but always bring a copy just in case I get an overzealous port employee.

The reason is that your last name on your DL will not match the BC, if you are using a passport I would not worry about it.

Almost every married woman's DL won't match her BC. Therefore, it is not an isssue when checking in.

Your Passport or DL name is the one that must match the booking (reservation) name.

Your BC is used to confirm your date of birth only.

All of the above, assuming that you are a US citizen.

David

I didn't read the other thread, but I'm thinking you would need it if you were traveling on your honeymoon and your tickets were in your new married name but your passport is still in your maiden name. Then you would need your brand spankin' new Marriage License to prove the name change.

I think you would also need it if you were under 25, but married, since there is an age restriction for occupying cabins if neither party is over 25, but I think it is waived if you are married. In that instance you would need your Marriage License for that.

Mschif78. Maybe, maybe not. They are not technically required. But IF there is a heightened threat alert when you are at the port, then they will ask you further questions to satisify themselves that you are the person named on the birth certificate. Some zealous port agents ask even when there isn't a heightened threat level (the person who posted that thread was asked, did not have it and was allowed on the ship no problem)

Having a marriage license makes answering that questioning go faster. But it's not required. Having a passport makes those questions go faster, too. But if you don't have it, its not the end of the world. If they ask for it at check-in just ask for the clerk to call over the ICE representative and go through the questions with them. Simply remind the rep that your birth certificate first name and birth date already match your DL. Your last name changed at marriage and is reflected on your legal ID of your Driver's License for which you already submitted the marriage license, and what else would they like to know. They may ask you a few questions about where and when you married, and if you are travelling with your husband, ask him the same questions separately. Maybe a couple of questions about where you were raised, and went to high school.

Yes, if you take the ML it will go faster for you if they should they ask these questions. Having a passport makes it go faster still.

I used to travel with my marriage license (especially on my honeymoon and 1st annversary cruise) but I haven't in a LONG time. And I haven't been asked for it.

You just have to make sure that your cruise docs match your current married named. Of course your DL won't match your BC. Just make sure your cruise docs match your DL.

I didn't read the other thread, but I'm thinking you would need it if you were traveling on your honeymoon and your tickets were in your new married name but your passport is still in your maiden name. Then you would need your brand spankin' new Marriage License to prove the name change.
Actually, it won't work that way. The brand spankin' new marriage license is not available just days after a wedding; it has to be recorded and filed with the county where the marriage took place and then a certified copy can be issued, and that usually cannot be done in less than a week or two at a minimum. Newly married honeymooners need to book the cruise in the soon-to-be-wife's maiden name so that her cruise documents and ID names both match.

I've never been asked for a marriage license, but always bring a copy just in case I get an overzealous port employee.

The reason is that your last name on your DL will not match the BC, if you are using a passport I would not worry about it.

Correct, and that is why it is a good idea to get a Passport. Everyone is going to need one before summer, as far as we know or it could change again and go back to January 1. We are dealing with the Government here, so just be warned.

[/b]Correct, and that is why it is a good idea to get a Passport.
Yes, could not agree with you more.
[/Everyone is going to need one before summer, as far as we know or it could change again and go back to January 1. We are dealing with the Government here, so just be warned.
Pegs, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you are still mis-understanding the regulation and posting incorrect information. :) The DHS has put a cruise exception into the passport requirement that is due to go into effect sometime in 2008. Basically, cruises that do not now require a passport won't require one next year either, when this law goes into effect.

Not to say that a passport will not alleviate a certain amount of stress or uncertainty about using BC/DL, but those are legal options that every citizen has the right and choice to use if they so desire.

Archived