Apprehensive about Miami Port.....

helicopter

We are sailing out of the Miami Port for the first time and truthfully I'm a little apprehensive. This port seems so large with so many ships (of course I'm sure they have it down to an artform). We have always sailed out of smaller ports. Would like your comments please?

I am not sure if I am qualified to answer this, as we have only sailed out of Miami...so nothing to compare it to. However, you will find it extremely easy! I'm not sure if you are driving in, or taking a cab to the port. But if you are taking a taxi, just tell them what ship you are on and they'll take you right there, you'll get out of the taxi and walk right into the building in front of you. Its that easy! Good Luck

I like that port. If you fly AA< you can get a boarding pass and check your luggage in at their auxillary site at the port, then spend the rest of the day unencumbered with luggage.

If you are lucky, you might be able to see the port on tv. I think it was covered by discovery channel on "The WOrlds Busiests Ports". They covered Port Everglades and it looked pretty nice.

HDawson, I wish I could tell you why I'm apprehensive I'm really not quite sure myself, except to say the port seems sooo large with so many ships at one time. The ports I have sailed out of are usually one ship at a time. And we will be flying in (I feel sure AA). Thanks

I've 'sailed' out of Miami three times, and it's a piece of cake! :)

I'm trying Tampa next time, tho' I've never had any trouble out of Miami!

Got better 'air' into Tampa, and going from there this time..

Miami is really easy.. :) Never had a problem.. !!

The experience of sailing from the Port of Miami has changed dramatically since our first cruise in 1993. Back then, there were maybe, 6 ships all docked and loading passengers.

This past April, there were only 2: The Triumph and one of RCI's Explorer class ships.

I usually check out the web cam and I think the most I've seen is 3 at one time: 2 Carnival and 1 RCI and that's only when the Paradise and the Imagination have sailed at the same time (the Imagination does 5 night cruises so the day of sailing changes).

I think you'll be just fine!

I am still a "novice" with only 2 cruises under my belt. The first was out of Miami, and the second Baltimore. Only good thing about Baltimore, is I didn't have to fly there. They were not as organized. Miami was a snap. I went by myself that cruise. As soon as I was out of the cab, I had a porter at my hand helping me, and guiding me where to go. I was onboard the ship less than one hour from the time my flight landed. I'm going out of Miami again in November. And REALLY looking forward to it!! :-)

HDawson, I wish I could tell you why I'm apprehensive I'm really not quite sure myself, except to say the port seems sooo large with so many ships at one time. The ports I have sailed out of are usually one ship at a time. And we will be flying in (I feel sure AA). Thanks

I just did a quick check and the largest number of ships that I see in one day is 5. It's usually about 2-3. What day are you sailing and I'll see what there should be. It really is an easy port. The ships are lined up along the pier and you will depart your cab or transfer right beside your ship.

Have a fun cruise!

If you are departing on a weekend, the traffic will be heavy. It's not hard to get around once you get over the causeway and there are signs directing you to your ship. Most of the traffic is converging just before the causeway and that is usually where the hold up is. There was some road construction going on in March at the Carnival Terminals ( I had to made 2 drop off/pickups 2 weeks in a row for family members) so it was a little crazy. I much prefer Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) to Miami any day.

I have sailed out of Miami 7 times, Ft Lauderdale 1, Port Canaveral 3, Jacksonville, 1, and while Miami isn't my favorite port to sail out of it, it isn't too bad and have improved over the last several years.

I've sailed out of Miami and this was when I went on a cruise by myself. Yes I was a little nervous! It turned out to be very easy and went smoothly. Just tell the taxi which ship you're sailing on and you'll be delivered right to where you need to be. I agree about NOLA, that was the worst! :eek:

You won't have a problem. Because they do have so many ships, they know how to move things along. Plus, each line has its own terminal, so you're not boarding with as many people as it would seem. For you, it just depends on whether Carnival has 1 or 2 ships going out that day. (I've never gone out of Miami when they've had 3, but the third ship uses one of Norwegian's terminals anyway.)

Easiest thing to do is to cab it or take one of Carnival's buses. If you cab it, just watch the overhead signs for your ship. The cab gets you pretty close to your terminal (the guys taking the luggage stop them at a certain point). Remember to always tip them! And no, you don't really have a choice. The buses pull up to a general area--you'll be given a pitch onboard by one of the luggage handlers to tip them. It's only a few bucks, it's how these guys make a living, one of those situations where you just roll with the flow. (For the record, they're not employed by Carnival or any of the cruise lines--they're hired by the Port.)

If you do drive, there's lots of parking now with the parking garage. Again, just watch the overhead signs. Make sure you don't get in to the lanes going to the cargo terminals--those can be VERY long!

If you're sailing between now & roughly October, you'll rarely encounter the full contingent of ships. The lines still have them in their summer ports. Chances are there will be one Royal Caribbean & one or two Carnivals in port. Norwegian has very few during summer.

Best bet is to try to get there between 11:30-noon. The majority of traffic hasn't hit yet, & you can usually go right thru. If you're flying in & taking a bus, no worries--the driver can hassle it out.

I've sailed from Miami, Canaveral and San Juan.

I found Miami to be chaotic, congested, and an overall rat race (must have been 5 ships or so that Saturday). The traffic in and out was horrendous and in the hot weather, fumes just lingered in the air. Took the bus from the airport and WAS dropped off in close proximity to ship. They loaded our bags from the bus to a cart thingy, so we didn't have to drag them around. Found it was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time between airport and ship's bar, so bring a bottle of water (or something more potent) with you. They are good at doing the debarkation luggage thing, but once you get your bags, you literally have to fight to get a seat on a bus or shuttle of any kind (airline, car rental).

Favorite is San Juan... we had brunch right across from the pier (Wyndham)and walked over... it was a breeze, not crowded at all, and lines quickly moved along. Weather was perfect, congestion not an issue, and there was a long, shaded pier to wait on with beautiful views.

Canaveral was also nice and easy compared to my experience at Miami.

Archived