What is the EARLIEST time we can GET OFF?

1newf1not

HI!!!

Not that we are in aursh to get all this over with ;)

BUT....I was wondering what time we can GET off the ship (for travel reasons and trying to make the best of our day).

I was told we can make an appointment once ON THE BOAT to get off early.

NCL told me...I can get off at 8:30am?? I think she had to be wrong no?

Realistically...what time will we be able to get on our way?

And how can we get off first? :) :)

1. You probably won't be first off.

2. They can never be sure when the ship will be cleared.

3. They allow a certain number of self disembark people with their luggage to get off first.- You need to get a chit to do this as they limit the number.

4. No matter what time you go to stand in line someone will be in front of you...

5. Any self disembarking VIP's will be allowed first.

#2 is crucial there - they can never be sure when the ship will clear customs. When ships that have been in foreign waters return to a US port, customs and immigration officials have to board and inspect the boat, and review the docket and immigration status of every passenger aboard. Your ship can be first to undergo this process the morning of disembarkation, or the last. It happens weekly, so it's a fairly efficient process, but so as to not add any unnecessary stress to the last day of vacation, my preference is to follow the cruise line guideline of "don't book a flight that departs any earlier than 6 hours after your ship is scheduled to dock." It's worked so far. :)

HI!!!

Not that we are in aursh to get all this over with ;)

BUT....I was wondering what time we can GET off the ship (for travel reasons and trying to make the best of our day).

I was told we can make an appointment once ON THE BOAT to get off early.

NCL told me...I can get off at 8:30am?? I think she had to be wrong no?

Realistically...what time will we be able to get on our way?

And how can we get off first? :) :)

Krista & Neil,

It also depends on where you're disembarking. If you're getting off in NYC then clearing customs can be a major problem. We docked one time on the Dawn in NYC at 8AM but couldn't start disembarking pax until after 10:30. On the other hand we docked in Vancouver, BC at 8 & disembarkation started at 8:30. So it can vary widely.

The "appointment on the boat to get off early" is called Express Disembarkation. You have to carry your own bags & you must sign up in advance to do this. I think they announce it in the Freestyle Daily 2 days or so before the end of the cruise so keep an eye out for it.

As smeyer points out you will NOT be the first ones off ;) . Any VIPs will be able to leave before you will.

One of the nicer things about NCL is that you can wait in your cabin until you are called. So you can have a nice breakfast & not have to wait in a crowded room along with 300 fellow pax.

Have a great cruise.

Tom & Eileen

What ship and what itinerary? It is usually at least 60-90 minutes after arrival time that the ship is cleared by customs. Then you have to wait while the VIP's disembark and then they go to Express disembarkation people. (to do that you must carry off all of your own luggage...no help, no carts). Express Disembarkation is becoming Mass disembarkation and is quite a mess with so many taking advantage of it. I found its just easier to relax on board the last morning, enjoy a nice breakfast and take your time getting around. Lot less stress and you get the most out of your cruise.

What ship and what itinerary? It is usually at least 60-90 minutes after arrival time that the ship is cleared by customs. Then you have to wait while the VIP's disembark and then they go to Express disembarkation people. (to do that you must carry off all of your own luggage...no help, no carts). Express Disembarkation is becoming Mass disembarkation and is quite a mess with so many taking advantage of it. I found its just easier to relax on board the last morning, enjoy a nice breakfast and take your time getting around. Lot less stress and you get the most out of your cruise.

Ya..we are soooo not VIP's :) But we are getting off the Star in San Pedro.....hope to get in a full day at Universal Studios as best we can... :)

So the earlier we get off the better.....we will grab our ouwn luggage and take that route I think....seems like a great idea :)

we got off the pearl on Friday in San Pedro... all rooms were given a form to fill out & hand in if you wanted to take your own luggage & get off.. we docked a little earlier than scheduled & the call for people with their own luggage to begin disembarking at their leisure began at about 8am. we had already eaten breakfast & headed towards the gangway at about 8:30

it was the quickest & easiest disembark that we've ever had.. they had creew stationed at different points of the ship to help you off. On deck 7 they had crew at the stairs to help people & their bags down the stairs (so the elevators were free for the higher floors).

we were off the ship in 5 minutes flat.

when you're off the ship - head for the shuttle or taxi area & get put on the list. iafter a few minutes wait we were in a taxi on our way to pick up a rental car at long beach airport ( cab to LGB cost $38) ....and spent the day at the outlet mall enjoying our strong CDN dollar before flying out of LAX in the evening.

Just got off of the Pride of America on Sept 22. They had passed out a disembarking schedule the evening before to all of the rooms, announcing passengers could start leaving at 7:30 ... I thought that wouldn't make that schedule. Wrong. At 7:15 they announced over the louspeaker sysytem that passengers with carry-on luggage could get off at 7:30. Sweet.

Just got off of the Pride of America on Sept 22. They had passed out a disembarking schedule the evening before to all of the rooms, announcing passengers could start leaving at 7:30 ... I thought that wouldn't make that schedule. Wrong. At 7:15 they announced over the louspeaker sysytem that passengers with carry-on luggage could get off at 7:30. Sweet.

Yes, it is nice on the Hawaii-only itinerary because you don't have to go through immigration or clear customs at the port. For all international ships that are traveling between countries, you have no control over how long the immigration and customs process will take. Sometimes it's a piece of cake; other times, it can take a while.

beachchick

Although there is a sign-up sheet for debarkation arrangements on NCL (you tick off the box applicable as to your arrangements), its my understanding that the information on those selecting express debarkation is only used for planning purposes by the ship. No separate chit or tag is issued (differs from some of the other lines we've used) and you just walk off with your own luggage when they announce the express debarkation. We did this last year in Barcelona getting off the Jewel and we ended up using express debarkation again last Saturday when we left the Sun in Honolulu. Originally, we had made arrangements through the concierge (Jacky Collett who was wonderful by the way) to debark at 7:40 (this was the first time slot for those using the NCL transport to the airport). However, we were forced to change our plans in order to have enough time to make a morning shark encounter in Haleweia. We therefore walked off at 6:45 with no problems.

We would have loved to have stayed on and enjoyed the ship and our suite a little longer (one of the true joys of freestyle cruising), but a tiger shark by the name of 'curly girl' was waiting.

P.

Archived