Deck 2

spirite

I love reading about everyone's experience in the big suites, enjoying the balconies and the extra services on offer.

On our next trip (GOS) we are on Deck 2 (with a window, our first time with a view of the sea!)

I'd like to celebrate Deck 2. Why do you love Deck 2? What's your favorite memory from the bottom of the ship?

Deck 2 is awsome. Don't even begin to listen to the folks who'll post that the cabins there are small and dark. our last cruise on Grandeur of the Seas was in an oceanview cabin on deck 2. The window was very large. Another advantage if you're someone who needs to use the elevator (wheelchair, elderly, etc), is that Deck 2 is the "end of the line", so when the elevator arrives it will not be full of people.

Also in most ports, you are the closest one to the exit. So in the am you just leave your stateroom and walk off the ship and coming back you can head back to your room and crash without having to climb a ton of stairs.

I've never been on Deck 2 , but have been on Deck 3 a few times and had a great cruise. Balconies and suites are wonderful, but then just being on a cruise (IMO) is wonderful!

Another plus for Deck 2, especially mid-ship, is that is gets the least movement in the event of rough seas. On one of our cruises, we were on Deck 7 or 8 and it was really rocking. DH went down to Deck 2 to return something to a friend. When he returned to our cabin he said that he couldn't feel any rocking at all on Deck 2!!!

Enjoy your cruise!

We have probably stayed on each deck at one time or another and there is nothing wrong with deck 2. The only time we did NOT like deck 2 was on Mariner. It was our first time on Mariner and the elevator situation was awful. Deck 2 is a long way from everything except getting off in port!

Next Mariner cruise we were on 8 and it was much preferred. Last week we were on deck 9 and often got on an elevator going the wrong way--just to get on!:rolleyes:

Advantages of a deck 2 cabin:

1. Ports with ground-level docks use this level for debarkation so you have ready access.

2. Being on the lowest deck, you will have slightly less risk of motion sickness.

3. Limited number of cabins and no other ship attractions results in very limited amount of passenger foot traffic so it's very quiet.

4. You paid less than most other passengers. :D

On our last cruise, we were on deck 3 due to booking at the last minute. We've never stayed that low before but we liked it. So on the next cruise in November, we chose to be on deck 2 . . . . for the 4 reasons that Terpnut outlined above! (primarily #4!).

The stairs will do me good . . .

Glad to hear all the good things about the "bottom o' the boat". We are in deck 2 OV on Grandeur next week!

It was a nice price and we don't spend much time in the cabin anyway!:)

Do you mind my asking what your fare is? We booked last minute and I think we paid more for an Inside Guarantee, then would would have a balcony if we had booked months ago....$752.

Do you mind my asking what your fare is? We booked last minute and I think we paid more for an Inside Guarantee, then would would have a balcony if we had booked months ago....$752.

It was $654/pp for OV and we got a $100 credit for the two of us.

We will be experiencing deck 2 for the first time on Legend in November. Have been on deck 3 on the Jewel but on this trip OV's went on sale cheaper than our original inside cabin so we switched. DH was not happy we went down a deck! but what the heck we got a view!!:D ;) :p

Ditto!! This is why I appreciate the lower decks :) :D

I avoid the elevators on cruises... elevators are always crowded, and I find that I can avoid gaining any weight by taking the stairs all the time. I love staying on deck 2 because climbing all the way to the top makes for great exercise!

It was $654/pp for OV and we got a $100 credit for the two of us.

WOW Jenny - When did you book? What was the credit for? We are getting a $50 OBC from our TA, but nothing for being Platinum because we didn't book a balcony.

It will be strange being so close to the water. If it is rough, could be fun seeing the waves.

I love reading about everyone's experience in the big suites, enjoying the balconies and the extra services on offer.

On our next trip (GOS) we are on Deck 2 (with a window, our first time with a view of the sea!)

I'd like to celebrate Deck 2. Why do you love Deck 2? What's your favorite memory from the bottom of the ship?

We were down in steerage once when we booked an inside guarantee a few years ago. :)

We were booked on Deck Two and Deck Three on several cruises when we booked Guaranteed Ocean Views. I was so disappointed the first time it happened, but we soon saw many advantages.

We were close to the exit for disembarking at ports. Returning from ports, we didn't have to wait for an elevator. The sound of the ocean waves at night was relaxing. WE were close to the waves and it was fun to watch. On one ship we were right by the place where the pilot boats hooked up with the ship. That was fun to watch. We were close to the dining room, stores, and theater. If the elevator was busy, we just climbed the stairs.

But my last Deck Two room was an OV guarantee that had a tiny porthole, not a full size window (Radiance of the Seas). I was really miffed. I love to look out and this porthole provided minimal light and views. So that was my last OV guarantee. Now I book the exact cabin that I want and don't take a chance.

But, yes, Deck Two has much to recommend it and it is a well kept secret. But if we publicize the advanatges of Deck Two, word will get around and it will be too hard to get Deck Two Ocean cabins and the price will go up.:D

Are the OV staterooms towards the bow larger than the OV further down? According to the deck plan on the Vision class, the last several staterooms look much larger. I guess those are also the staterooms with the porthole windows. Which is better...larger room or larger window?

Oh yeah! The reason I am asking is because two just became available 2010 and 2014. I thought the manifest was closed, but I guess not.

On Vision class, deck 2, the first 4 cabins from the bow have portholes. On deck 3, its the first eight. I know from experience, i had 3016 on GOS last year and 2016 this April. The rooms are the same size, they just jut out a little further into the corridor due to the curvature of the hull. Very quiet hallways up there though!:D

WOW Jenny - When did you book? What was the credit for? We are getting a $50 OBC from our TA, but nothing for being Platinum because we didn't book a balcony.

It will be strange being so close to the water. If it is rough, could be fun seeing the waves.

We booked in June. I got several quotes though the internet (cruise bidding website) and this one was the best plus they had the credit (just an incentive from the TA I guess).

Jenny

Thank you for this thread! I sometimes feel like a 2nd-class citizen on these boards, since I can't talk about the glories of Deck 8.

We were on Deck 2 in Mariner, and it was just fine. As others have mentioned, since there are no other activities/venues down there, it was nice and quiet. The only real problem was that, on Mariner at least, you can't walk the length of the ship on 2. You have to go up, over, and down. But that was minor.

The windows that look so tiny from outside are actually very large, and deep enough that my DD's favorite place in our cabin was seated on the window sill, looking out at port or sea.

Archived