Mobility Impares Father - needs ideas

Phenzor

Hey gang,

My father is going with me and my wife on a cruise to Roatan (leaving Sunday 9/30 - so short notice). He requires an electric scooter to get around in.

I'm trying to decide what we can do with him in Roatan. He refuses to get off the ship if it is a tender port, and I can understand his concerns.

He needs fairly firm ground to use the scooter on, so soft sand is out, but a hard packed sand area would be fine.

Any (quick) advice would help.

Thanks,

Brian

Hey gang,

My father is going with me and my wife on a cruise to Roatan (leaving Sunday 9/30 - so short notice). He requires an electric scooter to get around in.

I'm trying to decide what we can do with him in Roatan. He refuses to get off the ship if it is a tender port, and I can understand his concerns.

He needs fairly firm ground to use the scooter on, so soft sand is out, but a hard packed sand area would be fine.

Any (quick) advice would help.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, Roatan is one of those islands where pavement and concrete have yet to take over. In other words, a handicap-scooter would not be able to function in either West Bay or West End (two most popular areas)..

However, since you are not tendering, it would be a shame to not get off the ship.

The only area with hard-packed anything is the town of Coxen Hole, where the ship ports.

My only concern is that the immediate area around the ship, although a cement street with sidewalks....is where all the vendors are, and it can be quite chaotic and unnerving for some.

If he is OK with that.....then simply get off the ship and "scoot" around the immediate vicinity...

Alternatively, you could arrange for an Island Tour with a van (or taxi for that matter)...which would allow you to take your father on a nice trip to see the island. It's beautiful with some spectacular vistas.

He wouldn't be able to get out and ride the scooter anywhere...but it would sure beat just seeing Coxen Hole (the vicinity around the dock), and it would be a shame to stay on the ship.

There should be room in the van for the scooter, as long as you help the driver get it in the van after leaving the ship area.

IF the tour was to stop in a place like West End, the village road is seaside, and surrounded by shops etc....so if he wanted, he could easily "people watch" while others did some souvenir shopping..

Finally, if you dad can walk a few feet, then get him a spot at a seaside bar, while the rest of you wander around....There would be PLENTY of people to meet....

Heck, having a beer, watching the ocean and feelin' the breeze, is not a bad day in my books...

And the drinks on Roatan are less than 1/2 the price of what the ship sells 'em for..

Just some thoughts.:)

• 2 weeks later...

My sister in law and I both use Rollator style walkers. Can you advise if these are going to be a hardship with the tour we are thinking of doing... We are planning on doing the Semi-Submarine & West End Village off the ship. This also includes a stop at the Cameo factory. Or would it be better to just get a taxi to take us to the Cameo factory and then back to the cruise terminal.

My sister in law and I both use Rollator style walkers. Can you advise if these are going to be a hardship with the tour we are thinking of doing... We are planning on doing the Semi-Submarine & West End Village off the ship. This also includes a stop at the Cameo factory. Or would it be better to just get a taxi to take us to the Cameo factory and then back to the cruise terminal.

The initial parking area, as you leave the ship is gravel, and you will need assistance, as I am sure that the walker will bog down, or at least be a little rough pushing.

However, once you reach the street, then there are sidewalks...and paved roads.

All depending on where your transportation meets you, will determine the aggravation amount.:confused:

I really think you need to get in touch with the excursions people from your cruise line, in regards to your concerns.. The Cameo Factory in Gravel Bay (near the dock), will be easy for you..as it is a 15 step walk into the ground level store.

However, I have concerns over the part of the excursion that you do in West End...and if they will be able to get you comfortably from the bus(?) to the Semi-submersible..It's a bit of a walk down to the pier...

In addition, you will not have a good time walking around in West End, as the only street is all sand, no sidewalks, and full of sinkholes to twist one's ankles..

I do not suggest walking around West End for anyone with walking issues....

I suggest this...

Since the excursion you are on, will be "bulk" transportation, I know for a fact that they will park in one area, and tell you to meet back at a certain place at "such and such" time. If that is the case, that will not be good for you and your Sis.In.Law.

I think it would be better if you had a person with you at all times, or at least a driver, that could drive you up and down the street, stopping at those places/stores you might like to visit...

If you are able, then a short walk into a store, is far less strenuous than a 1 mile walk along a seaside, sandy road.

In addition, there is a nice little shop in West Bay, called Penelope's Island Emporium, that sells higher end gifts and jewelry, if you want something different than the typical souvenirs. It's in the West Bay Mall...with easy access.

Having you own driver, will give you the flexibility to take you anywhere, and to avoid the longer walks...

This is just my opinion....but then, I live here...:)...and this is my business.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Roatan 2 years ago. We rented your scooters and that was the highlight of our entire cruise.

So, now we are coming back on Dec. 17 and are bringing our family. We want to rent 5 scooters at West End. I'm having trouble with your web sight. How do I go about making a reservation?

Thanks, Debbie

My husband and I were in Roatan 2 years ago. We rented your scooters and that was the highlight of our entire cruise.

So, now we are coming back on Dec. 17 and are bringing our family. We want to rent 5 scooters at West End. I'm having trouble with your web sight. How do I go about making a reservation?

Thanks, Debbie

Debbie,

Per the Community Guidelines, Captain Van (a valuable contributer with general information about Roatan) is not allowed to "conduct business" on the Cruise Critic message boards.

Other Cruise Professionals, Tour Operators, Destination Website Owners, Guides and Property & Business Owners

Cruise Professionals, tour operators, tour guides and property & business owners (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are also encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. They may not, however, list or refer members to their World Wide Web sites. They may not include their "business name" in their signatures, nor may they include their website link in their profile. No promotional material or conducting tour business, is allowed. This includes mentioning pickup locations, scheduling times of tours, confirmation of events/deposits/e-mail receipt, etc (and any other discussion determined to be of a customer service nature in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic. Only items of a general nature may be posted on the forums.

Also, per the Announcement: Ports of Call Posting Guidelines above:

Advertising

Advertising is not allowed on Cruise Critic. Tour operators/guides/businesses in Ports of Call may not promote your business in any way -- that includes posting a link to your website, phone number, location, tour information, hours of operation, pricing, scheduling, etc.

You will need to continue to reach him in some another way, just not on Cruise Critic.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful, even though it is not the type of reply you were expecting.

Kat

Thanks, Debbie

WOW! Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea my website was down for 24 hours.

Host Kat, that slap on the hands was well deserved. I have been on cruise critic for many years and received tons of useful information. I know better than to try and acquire services. Thank you for clarifying the guidelines and I will learn from my mistake. I truely am sorry. You are doing a wonderful job as a Host and sometimes you need to keep things under control but all your hard work makes this a very positive experience.

Debbie

Archived