Question on Pearl to Alaska

birder22

I've never been on a cruise but I have spent quite a bit of time traveling on ferries. I like to spend a lot of the time I am on the ship either on the deck, or inside when I get too cold, looking for birds, watching the scenery and reading. Are there quiet public places on the Pearl for birdwatching and reading or should we book a cabin with a balcony?

Thanks

the balcony is great, but it limits some viewing. our balcony (on the NCL star, had a roof) did see gulls flying along near the ship, but the ship stays out in deep water, doesn't get close to land until near port. my SIL was with us on the NCL star to alaska, she is a birder, but she didn't say anything about spotting. i know she had her book with her. to see anything, you will need your best binoculars.

yes, they do have lounges that have floor to ceiling windows, plus the library and card room usually have good windows for viewing. the other place is the buffet. the pearl has big wind screen around the pool area....while they protect the people on deck while the ship is moving, they are hard to see around. you can see them in a picture of the pool deck. the best thing is to go hiking in port, get away from the crowds and out where you can get a better view.

We went on the Pearl in May and had an inside cabin. I have trouble spending the money for a balcony, and there's plenty of spaces on the Pearl to whale/bird watch without one. We actually saw quite a number of birds while we were looking for whales, but I'm not a bird watcher so I don't know what they were for sure.

The promenade deck on the Pearl is well equipped with lounge chairs and blankets, so you can return to a lounge and bundle up in a blanket if you get chilled while watching for wildlife. If you want to watch from inside, I spent a lot of time in the library near a window, but the higher you go up on the decks, the harder it is to see what's near the water.

We saw gulls, little birds the flew right above the water in a flock -- I think I heard someone call them "scooters". On our whale watching tour we saw Artic terns, and I'm know there were several others that I couldn't identify.

Lots of bald eagles -- including ones floating on the icebergs in Glacier Bay.

2414429060060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

We spotted this guy from our whale watching tour in Juneau

2013206950060502137S500x500Q85.jpg

We went to Alaska on the Pearl 8/26/07. It was great! We had a mini-suite on Deck 11, port side, mid-ship, and highly recommend the balcony, especially for Glacier Bay viewing. We saw whales 'spying' and breaching in the afternoon, cruising out of Glacier Bay. We also saw seals in Glacier Bay, and in the harbor at Skagway, all from the balcony. In the morning, we could wake up, run to the balcony, and drink in the next fabulous view!

Our other FAVORITE spot for wildlife-spotting and for the spectacular Alaska views, was the aft deck on 12 - the Great Outdoors buffet (a short convenient one-deck-up walk from our cabin.) We saw Dall porpoises and plenty of whales - not so many birds (gulls, arctic terns). Even on a full ship, there were usually tables available, and you could spend hours out there with availability for water, coffee and food.

Many of the other passengers out there were like-minded, and had binoculars and cameras (even a telescope setup.) The wind is blocked very well for all except a few outside tables. We had a lot of sun and good weather -very lucky. The other passengers helped in spotting whales, etc.! And, it was never so crowded that you couldn't get to the rail to catch a picture or just a look at what was out there.

Between our balcony and The Great Outdoors, we felt like we had an almost-private cruise, despite a shipful of people.

Lastly, although the library or the lounge areas can be very nice, I found the windows or plexiglass screens to be annoying. We really liked the completely open viewing areas, especially for picture-taking.

Your 2 sea days- aren't likely to have much if any scenery or many birds. For the MOST birds, be out on deck several hours before and after ports. A GOOD pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary. I have seen MANY times many many birds in this timeframe. This year, endless eagles sailing out of Ketchikan for example.

In Glacier Bay, on the left side of Margerie Glacier is a bird rookery. I was on the first sailing this year and too early for the puffins seen there, but plenty of other birds. I will pay to be out the entire day from dawn if wildlife and scenery are of interest. IF you are only looking for viewing from a balcony cabin, a port side is necessary.

I never recommend wildlife viewing from an aft spot, always from the front so you can track from ahead and get a way longer view. Be warned, the Pearl has full front high windscreens and limited front side viewing due to navagational equiptment.

Archived