An unusual HAL video

u4ea

I also saw this video on you tube and my first thought was "give me a break....get a life". I say, big deal. Pull it out of your frig. and leave a note for the cabin steward to replace them. Dear god. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. Get a life !!!!

Wendy

I doubt there's much of a health risk from expired canned soda or beer - the quality might be affected, but I doubt it would make you ill. A molehill, not a mountain.

Also worth noting is the beverage manager's response, which was to agree that this should not happen and adopt the suggestion that they ought to have a procedure to ensure that the crew check expirations dates regularly. No attempt to deny that it was a problem, no argument with the customer. Molehill removed.

Nuff said, IMHO.

PS: Sorry Wendy - didn't mean to steal your metaphor - your post went up while I was writing mine!

Ahoy!

Lord, please still my heart for a moment! I'm calling Seattle right now!

I just checked the fine generic bottles of our Safeway pop in the kitchen and found no expiration dates. Horrors upon horrors. What am I to do? I see a CONSPIRACY coming on. Any lawyers out there?

Perhaps we should start a sticky thread addressing this dilemma.

Bob Voyage and unexpired Good Health!

Bob:)

Nuts.

On the ship they are calling disembarkation numbers, and she's worried about expired cans????? Why isn't she disembarking??

If I remember correctly what I was once told by a church member who works for Coke here in Dallas, I don't believe that expired cans are actually a health risk ... when a can of soft drink or beer expires it runs the risk of eating a hole through the bottom of the can. There's also a chance that they might go flat. But that's about it. it's not as if it's milk, or something like that. If anything, it may be that HAL had been sold a stock of already-expired cans from their supplier.

As an aside ... this was shot on May 11, 2007. That was the day my Dad died. While she was obsessing about expired drink cans, I was sitting in a hospital room during my Dad's last hours. That kind of puts this into perspective for me.

I totally agree, no heath issue involved. Most times the dates listed are dates of sale, not of expiration.

Even if it was expired, as stated above, just leave them out for your cabin stewart, I am sure he will replace them. It is not a mildew or explosive or health issue. It is still in the can. Maybe we could all point this out to the cabin stewart and not make an issue. They all work VERY hard.

I bet if we all check our refrigerators, basement/storage, we all have an expired soda can or two.

Should it happen - no, but it could very easily be corrected with no harm done.

And to be checking into other peoples cabins is more intrusive than an expired soda can.

Thanks for posting this video. It taught me several things:

(1) YouTube has vidoes of cruise ships! I can go check for other videos and see the cabins and the pools and all sorts of great stuff. Very useful.

(2) There are expiration dates on cans of soda and beer. I had no idea. I did a bit of research and found out that at worst, the stuff won't taste so good if it is very old -- primarily the beer, and possibly the diet soda. Regular soda is fine for years.

(3) There are some people out there with lots of time on their hands.

(4) The beverage captain on the Volendam is a very patient man.

Looks to be yet another passenger looking for a free cruise but she was down to the last minute. Poor thing she probably tried all week. Then I wonder if this crew member even knew he was being filmed, maybe but it did not seem like it. I did not waste my time to watch the whole thing but my guess was she was attempting to at least get some additional ship board credit to cover her bar tab:D

My concern for her is she is consuming too many calories and not exercising. She appears to be twenty to thirty pounds over weight. That is a much greater risk to her health than an expired soft drink. Perhaps she should be drinking water. It has no calories and a longer shelf life.

I guess some people will do ANYTHING to keep from having to get off the ship.

I couldn't believe the poor beverage manager actually agreed to take her to other cabins. I expected him to tell her it was none of her business (in a nice way of course). What was even more shocking to me was the comments people posted on You Tube. Who knew anyone would take her side?! :eek:

Ahoy!

Well I've destroyed my tegel tiles and Mariner pins. Fortunately while cruising over the years I stick to drinking only beer, bourbon, fruit juices and tap water (has anyone checked the water?) I knew there was a reason I never bought a 'soda card'.

Seriously though, the beverage manager has the patience of a saint (and what a great staff HAL has and is thusly demonstrated). The video just reminds me of what 'arses' some fellow cruisers can be at times. Thankfully, they are a minority.

Bon Voyage and unexpired Good Health!

Bob (currently sporting 'Elegant Bathrobe Casual'):)

Who is this woman...the soda police. Where does she get off going into the other cabins. I agree, the beverage manager had the patience of a saint. Watching the way she was makes me wonder if she's always out with her camera taping who knows what. I saw her taking notes so I guess that meant she would write to HAL. She better get a life...

Where does she get off going into the other cabins. I agree, the beverage manager had the patience of a saint. Watching the way she was makes me wonder if she's always out with her camera taping who knows what. I saw her taking notes so I guess that meant she would write to HAL. She better get a life...

From the sound of the disembarkation announcements it would appear that those cabins were no longer occupied (between cruises). :)

Looks to be yet another passenger looking for a free cruise but she was down to the last minute. Poor thing she probably tried all week. :D

Bingo.

And she has probably written the CEO of HAL with this outrage too.

From time to time, I sort canned goods at a food pantry. More than half of what is donated is beyond the expiration date.

As it relates to soda, the taste diminshes, over time. It however, remains safe to drink.

Archived