Any African American Theme Cruises

mosweet

I haven't been on any myself but I know about Tom Joyner's "Fantastic Voyage" that he does every year and the "One Love Gospel Cruise" that Yolanda Adams hosts every year (my girlfriend has been on that one and belives it's geared more towards a younger crowd). You can find more information on the Black Cruise Week website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<P>

I was planning a Girlfriend experience on a cruise but one of my friend is now pregnant and the other friend is having financial difficulties. I am thinking about traveling solo. Is the "Festival At Sea" cruise a good one cruise to do solo?

hi i'm planning on going to the festival at sea for next year 2009...i'm really excited!! my boyfriends family has gone before, and loved it! i'm sure if you go alone you should find plenty to do!</P>

• 3 weeks later...
Since it seems socially acceptable to have a African-American cruise, that cater to and I suppose only want African-Americans to be part of, I wonder, would be just as acceptable to have a Caucasian cruise, that cater to and only want just white folk to attend? Or, would that be called racism?

Just for the record, dumb white guy here, other than a African -American cruise being no whities wanted, how does a African-American cruise differ then lets say, any other typical cruise? (It’s a serious question)

I am not against any group getting together that wants to have a special cruise, more power to you, I just wonder if it is a two way street. Not that I have any desire to be part of a "Caucasian Cruise" I think that we peoples come in assorted shades and colours is rather cool and would not want it any other way.

I find your comment particularly interesting…I want to answer your question w/o offending you. The reason there are African-American themed cruises (by the contrary of what you think as an African-American ONLY cruise, it’s “themed” not segregated, there are also Caucasians who take part in these cruises) is b/c there are many cultural events that other cruises just don’t offer during a cruise such as African attire evenings etc. If you would like more information on these cruises you can Google Festival at Sea or the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise (these are the two largest).

Now my question to you, have you asked questions about other themed cruises such as “gay & lesbian” or any other type of “themed” cruise? Just curious.

I find your comment particularly interesting…I want to answer your question w/o offending you. The reason there are African-American themed cruises (by the contrary of what you think as an African-American ONLY cruise, it’s “themed” not segregated, there are also Caucasians who take part in these cruises) is b/c there are many cultural events that other cruises just don’t offer during a cruise such as African attire evenings etc. If you would like more information on these cruises you can Google Festival at Sea or the Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage Cruise (these are the two largest).

Now my question to you, have you asked questions about other themed cruises such as “gay & lesbian” or any other type of “themed” cruise? Just curious.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reasonable, considerate, thoughtful response. No insult taken. I really was not bating; however I did realize such a question can be “sensitive”. I was truly curious and I think my question was reasonable. Surely you would not disagree that if someone were to attempt to promote or sell a “Caucasian” themed cruise it would run into hassles and I suspect really upset some folks.

The events and dress and such you speak of, is both interesting and intriguing. Your response to my question has offered me some insight in how different races (in this case Black and White, to use the common vernacular) view their racial self-identity. I wonder if a Caucasian themed cruise could even follow the template as you described for an African-American themed cruise. If for no other reason, Caucasians in the USA tend not to have the racial cohesiveness that African-Americans do.

To answer your question, yes I have inquired, and moreover, I inquired regarding the Gay/Lesbian themed cruise and the boards/threads on Cruise Critic. Not that I have any issue with such but I find it interesting that Gay/Lesbian themed cruises are promoted and have a board and are often featured on the main page of Cruise Critic but other “lifestyles” such as Swingers are not permitted and such threads and boards are quickly deleted. I suspect if I were to start a thread regarding a “Caucasian” themed cruise, such would be deleted as well.

I am in no way comparing ones race with ones lifestyle, to do such I think would be degrading as well as demeaning. Ones race is who they are, a lifestyle is a choice in how one wishes to live their life. Ok, I know for some, sexuality very well possibly might not be a choice, but for others in that lifestyle, it clearly is.

Although our interaction is clearly two reasonable thoughtful people who by the Grace of God ended up with different skin colour, clearly some of the responses to my question that came after yours seem to back up my suspicion that indeed it is not a two way street and what is ok for one group may not be ok for another. It seems as a society we have a long way to go……..

Again, thank-you for your thoughtful response, I would welcome further conversation if you would like, here or via e-mail.

Best regards……

Archived