Help with dining on the AOS????

J&BinAZ

:confused: Can anyone help us? We're still trying to figure out how (or even if) we should schedule a night at Portofino's on our 9/26 Southern Caribbean cruise. Do they have a "lobster night" on AOS and does anyone know which night it is? We thought it was on a formal night, but another reader told us Venetian night was the second formal night (by the way, thank you for your help). We for sure don't want to do Portofinos on lobster night and probably not on a formal night either because they're normally the best meals. Also, is it true that a meal at Portofino's lasts about 2 1/2 hrs.? If anyone has been on AOS recently and can give us an idea what was served on each day, we would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance to all you helpful people!!!!! :)

J & B

I would highly reccommend a night at Portofino's. It is well worth it! Once on board, you can always ask at the dining room or customer relations desk about dinner selections for each night. If you are on A or B category, the concierge has a menu from each night for viewing.

If you are on the Aruba itinerary, Tuesday is Aruba port, and Caribbean (casual) theme. We went to Portofinos this night. If you are not planning to do any of the night time excursions in Aruba, or go pub crawling this is a good night to go. There is not much happening on the ship, no show in the lounge. At Portofinos the food is cooked to order, as in a fine restaurant. We called for reservations as soon as we got to our cabin.

this was the dining room schedule:

Day 1 Casual (Departing San Juan)

Day 2 Formal (At Sea

Day 3 Casual or Caribbean Colors Attire (Aruba)

Day 4 Casual/50's/60's/70's Attire (Cuacao)

Day 5 Formal (At Sea)

Day 6 Smart Casual (St Thomas)

I think lobster was served on either on Day 5 or Day 6. We ate in Portofinos on Day 4 (Curacao). I believe we were at dinner for close to 2 hours. Its a very relaxing atmosphere...no rush to get you in and out. The food was excellant!

Do make your reservations as soon as possible after boarding.

P.S.....Hi Got2Cruise!! :cool:

We are just off the AOS, and lobster was not on Mon or Thur (formal nights). I think it was Wed (smart casual night) but I'm not certain. We did not eat at Portofino's, but one of the couples at our table did, and they were very disappointed. They said that it had been hyped so much that they expected much more. They said that the food was good but nothing to rave about, and that they service was nowhere near what we received in the dining room. Of course, our dining room experience was one of the highlights of our cruise. We had lovely dining companions, an excellent waiter and assistant waiter, and a delightful head waitress. I don't know what could have beaten it for us - and all of us at our table felt that way.

When we were in Aruba on the AOS, that night was the Caribbean night for dinner. We didn't try it , we were late for dinner. But everyone that I have talked to has said to do Portofinos on that night. I would have to agree, even though the food for Caribbean night was not bad (we had it on the Voyager) the other nights food was better IMHO. Unless of course you really like Jerk Chicken.

just got off the aos yesterday. if you are doing the aruba itinerary the second formal night is thursday night and the serve lobster on this night. Most people chose Portofino for tuesday night since it was caribbean night and the food tends to be spicy. (I agree with that) Hope this helps!

Thank you very much everyone!!! Unfortunately, I neglected to mention which route we're on. From reading other posts I can see we're on the same one as Happy Single Mom (glad you and your son had a great time). So, it looks to me like the lobster is served on what they call "Venetian Night"? Oh, these boards can be so helpful, but they can also make me more confused!! I had to quit going into the "Cruise Fashion" forum because they were making me really nervous & crazy :eek:!! Anyhow, thank you all again for your help.

J & B

Archived