No escargot or French onion soup

kennden

We sailed on the CB on 9/9 to 9/16, the first week of the new menus and both Escargot and French Onion Soup were available. They were not on the menu but offered by the waiters. I believe the French Onion Soup was offered on the 1st formal night night and the Escargot on the 2nd formal night but I could be wrong. I had them both and they were delicious.

I think you missed it..

The Emerald Princess French & Mediterranean Dinner Menu includes Escargots Bourguignon Glazed with Maitre d'Hotel Butter and French Onion Soup Sealed with Cheese Crouton.

Are you looking at the new menus. I am looking at the new menus from Crown Princess, and assuming that they are the same new ones that were just implimented on the Caribbean Princess. No escargot or French onion soup to be found.

We sailed on the CB on 9/9 to 9/16, the first week of the new menus and both Escargot and French Onion Soup were available. They were not on the menu but offered by the waiters. I believe the French Onion Soup was offered on the 1st formal night night and the Escargot on the 2nd formal night but I could be wrong. I had them both and they were delicious.

We are leaving on the CB Oct 7th, Hope they still have some leftovers:)

We were on CB on 9/9, when the new menus rolled out. These were items we immediately missed, so we asked our server about both, and he said they could be made for us. So, one night, he said, who wants French onion soup tonight? And another night, he said, escargo is available tonight. Yeah!

In looking at the order of the menus I think the French Onion Soup was offered with the Chef's menu and the Escargot with the Captain's Gala.

I had a french Onion Soup on my 9/16 CB sailing. From my cruise review:

1am

Dinner was very nice as it was the Chef’s Dinner. I had the cheese soufflé for starters (very nice taste), the French Onion soup, the salad (was wilted), the sorbet, and then the lamb chops which were beautifully cooked and tender. The desert was a trilogy of samples; sweet but nothing to write home about.

We were on CB on 9/9, when the new menus rolled out. These were items we immediately missed, so we asked our server about both, and he said they could be made for us. So, one night, he said, who wants French onion soup tonight? And another night, he said, escargo is available tonight. Yeah!

I will try to do that and order lobster every night.

It may sound trivial to some, but escargot is a dish that we have only had on our cruises and really look forward to. Has anyone had that offered in anytime dining, or just traditional ?????? I can make onion soup or get it in restaurants back home, but it will be a long time before I go out digging up snails!!!!!!

It may sound trivial to some, but escargot is a dish that we have only had on our cruises and really look forward to. Has anyone had that offered in anytime dining, or just traditional ?????? I can make onion soup or get it in restaurants back home, but it will be a long time before I go out digging up snails!!!!!!

Same here, I had never tried escargot until our cruise on the Grand, it was delish!

We had it in anytime dining.

I sure hope they have it when we go on the Crown at the end of this month!

The 9/6/07 sailing on the Crown had both the french onion soup and the escargot offered on the menu in the dinning room. We had traditional dinning, but it should be the same.

There was also a good black and blue onion soup on the menu at the Crown Grill.

Are you looking at the new menus. I am looking at the new menus from Crown Princess, and assuming that they are the same new ones that were just implimented on the Caribbean Princess. No escargot or French onion soup to be found.

Kennden, I was on the Crown recently and distinctly remember both being on the menu because:

-- I actually ordered the onion soup, but asked them to leave off the cheese crouton (can't recall why now, it certainly wasn't because I was dieting!); and

-- the night escargot were on the menu, my waiter was strongly recommending them although I was totally disinterested in having them -- we had a pleasant little debate in Russian (which he spoke, too, obviously) over which appetizer I was going to have, made more difficult by the fact that I couldn't think of the Russian words for slimy and icky.

So, unless they've redone the menus just in the last few weeks, I think you'll find both of your faves there.

The 9/6/07 sailing on the Crown had both the french onion soup and the escargot offered on the menu in the dinning room. We had traditional dinning, but it should be the same.

There was also a good black and blue onion soup on the menu at the Crown Grill.

On the same sailing, both were on the menu in the Anytime Dining rooms. My father, who would never order anything not on the menu, had the soup, and my mother wanted the escargot, but the waiter didn't let her (high sodium content; he was following our direction.)

But I do have a great recipe for onion soup !

Ok Britsbest, I happen to think that I have the best recipe for French Onion soup. comes from a Famous and Barr restaurant in St louis. Happen to know the chef that worked there and got the recipe. This is the best. It is the standard of how I judge the soup. No one ever comes close. if any one wants this recipe I will be glad to post it. Going on the CB oct 7th so won't have time to get this out right now, but if you will e-mail me will get you the recipe It is wonderfull:) Britsbest, could you do the same Hope this post doesn't go to foodies, but then, that could be a good thing

Ok Britsbest, I happen to think that I have the best recipe for French Onion soup. comes from a Famous and Barr restaurant in St louis. Happen to know the chef that worked there and got the recipe. This is the best. It is the standard of how I judge the soup. No one ever comes close. if any one wants this recipe I will be glad to post it. Going on the CB oct 7th so won't have time to get this out right now, but if you will e-mail me will get you the recipe It is wonderfull:) Britsbest, could you do the same Hope this post doesn't go to foodies, but then, that could be a good thing

Would love for you to post your recipe for French Onion Soup. I also make one but I'm always open to a better recipe. I've been know to have it for a starter and Entrée on board ship.;)

Would love for you to post your recipe for French Onion Soup. I also make one but I'm always open to a better recipe. I've been know to have it for a starter and Entrée on board ship.;)

Ok, wasn't going to take the time to do this now, but here it is.

3 Lbs of peeled onions, ( I use Valdalia), 4 oz butter 2t fresh ground pepper 2T paprika 1 bay leaf 3/4 C flour 3qts. canned beef bouillon (I use Emerrils in the carton) 1 C white wine.

slice the onions 1/8" thick, melt butter and saute onions slowly 1 1/2 hrs in large soup pot. Add all other ingr. except bouillon and wine. Saute over low heat 10 min. more Add bouillon and wine and simmer 2 hrs. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate overnight. Serving: Heat soup, fill individual soup bowls with 8oz of soup, top with 3 slices of thinly slliced french bread, and top with 1 oz of swiss cheese and 1 oz of guerre cheeese Place under broiler untill brown and bubbly. You might also want to add some garlic as the onions saute. enjoy. If anyone makes this and enjoys this, or thinks they have a better recipe please let me know You can email me at denjamesob@aol.com I think I am allowed to do this:)

Archived