No escargot or French onion soup

kennden

2 large onions

2 or 3 cloves of garlic

2 pints boiling water

2 good quality organic beef stock cubes (not oxo cubes, theyre not high quality enough for this recipe)

2 ounces butter

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/3 of a bottle wine (red or white, cheap wine is fine, i use a £4 bottle usually and drink the rest with the meal - perfect!!)

3 slices of brown bread

Mature cheddar cheese (however much you like)

Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper

METHOD:

Chop the onions into various size peices (some rings and some chunks)also chop the garlic into small pieces.

Melt the butter in a large frying pan with the olive oil then fry the onions on a medium/high heat with half of the garlic for about 6 mins or until they have turned clear.

Add the sugar and stir in well. Turn down the heat as low as it will go and leave for half an hour so that the onions caramalise.

Transfer the onions to a large high sided pan.

Make up the stock with the cubes and the 2 pints of boiling water and transfer to the pan with the onions.

Add the wine and the rest of the garlic then salt and pepper well.

Bring to the boil stiring then turn the heat down as low as it will go and cook uncovered for 1 hour, stiring occasionaly.

After 1 hour split the soup into three bowls. toast the bread in the toaster then place a slice on top of the soup in each bowl.

Grate the cheese over the top of the bread then place under the grill for 5 mins or until the cheese has melted and started to brown.

Serve on it own.

My recipe is pretty much the same, except for the wine. I do use some worcestershire sauce to the onions when cooking; adds a lot to the flavour. I also use a low sodium beef stock or a consomme instead of the beef cubes.

2 large onions

2 or 3 cloves of garlic

2 pints boiling water

2 good quality organic beef stock cubes (not oxo cubes, theyre not high quality enough for this recipe)

2 ounces butter

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/3 of a bottle wine (red or white, cheap wine is fine, i use a £4 bottle usually and drink the rest with the meal - perfect!!)

3 slices of brown bread

Mature cheddar cheese (however much you like)

Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper

METHOD:

Chop the onions into various size peices (some rings and some chunks)also chop the garlic into small pieces.

Melt the butter in a large frying pan with the olive oil then fry the onions on a medium/high heat with half of the garlic for about 6 mins or until they have turned clear.

Add the sugar and stir in well. Turn down the heat as low as it will go and leave for half an hour so that the onions caramalise.

Transfer the onions to a large high sided pan.

Make up the stock with the cubes and the 2 pints of boiling water and transfer to the pan with the onions.

Add the wine and the rest of the garlic then salt and pepper well.

Bring to the boil stiring then turn the heat down as low as it will go and cook uncovered for 1 hour, stiring occasionaly.

After 1 hour split the soup into three bowls. toast the bread in the toaster then place a slice on top of the soup in each bowl.

Grate the cheese over the top of the bread then place under the grill for 5 mins or until the cheese has melted and started to brown.

Serve on it own.

Funny this should be brought up as I just mentioned this on my roll call. I did not see either on the menus for the NE/Canada cruise 9/15 on the Crown. These are two items I really look forward to when sailing PCL! Hopefully, I just missed the listing and they were not eliminated!

Anyone have a recipe for "French onion escargot soup"?

Derf... thanks for the laugh... I just can't beleive this thread is still going on and on and on........:D

Best Onion Soup... restaurant in Villefranche while we sat and looked at our ship.

And no they didn't use "bouillion cubes"...LOL YUCK...no bouillion cubes

CuriousCat

Derf... thanks for the laugh... I just can't beleive this thread is still going on and on and on........:D

Best Onion Soup... restaurant in Villefranche while we sat and looked at our ship.

And no they didn't use "bouillion cubes"...LOL YUCK...no bouillion cubes

CuriousCat

;)

Wine snobs coffee snobs now stock snobs.

If you have the time to make your own stock feel free we mere mortals have lives to live !

:eek:

Ok, wasn't going to take the time to do this now, but here it is.

3 Lbs of peeled onions, ( I use Valdalia), 4 oz butter 2t fresh ground pepper 2T paprika 1 bay leaf 3/4 C flour 3qts. canned beef bouillon (I use Emerrils in the carton) 1 C white wine.

slice the onions 1/8" thick, melt butter and saute onions slowly 1 1/2 hrs in large soup pot. Add all other ingr. except bouillon and wine. Saute over low heat 10 min. more Add bouillon and wine and simmer 2 hrs. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate overnight. Serving: Heat soup, fill individual soup bowls with 8oz of soup, top with 3 slices of thinly slliced french bread, and top with 1 oz of swiss cheese and 1 oz of guerre cheeese Place under broiler untill brown and bubbly. You might also want to add some garlic as the onions saute. enjoy. If anyone makes this and enjoys this, or thinks they have a better recipe please let me know You can email me at denjamesob@aol.com I think I am allowed to do this:)

I am so serious about this recipe. what makes it so good is that it isn't thin like most french onion soups. Just give it a try. I promise it will be the best french onion soup you have ever had

I am so serious about this recipe. what makes it so good is that it isn't thin like most french onion soups. Just give it a try. I promise it will be the best french onion soup you have ever had

Thanks kenndon for posting your recipe. Mine is very similar but I use Sherry instead of white wine and half beef and half chicken broth. Also mine doesn't use quite as much flour which is what makes yours thick. I will try adding more of the flour next time I make it.

Thanks kenndon for posting your recipe. Mine is very similar but I use Sherry instead of white wine and half beef and half chicken broth. Also mine doesn't use quite as much flour which is what makes yours thick. I will try adding more of the flour next time I make it.

Will try the Sherry, maybe half sherry and white wine. Do you use the paprika? This is whats makes this different and WONDERFUL!!

Will try the Sherry, maybe half sherry and white wine. Do you use the paprika? This is whats makes this different and WONDERFUL!!

No I don't but will try that also.

Here's my recipe which makes 4 servings.

1 quart sliced onions

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup butter

2 Tbs flour

28 oz beef stock

14 oz chicken stock

1/4 cup dry sherry

Salt, pepper

12 small slices French bread

Parmesan cheese

1/4 lb grated Swiss cheese (I use Emmental)

1/4 lb grated Gruyère cheese

Sauté onions and garlic in butter in large Dutch oven over low heat until browned and tender. Add flour and stir just long enough to combine. Add beef and chicken stocks; heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes to blend flavors. Add Sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toast bread slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Ladle hot soup into 4 individual oven proof casseroles. Place 3 slices toasted bread on top of each soup. Sprinkle with swiss and Gruyère cheeses. Bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes or until soup is bubble and cheese is browned.

Please tell me that someone has this. Wouldn't that be just wonderfull, I guess that you could follow my recipe and add some escargot:D

Alas, rumor has it that Julia Child took this recipe to her grave. We shall be forever deprived. Guess we can dunk our escargot in our soup. Suppose though, some would think this tres gauche!

Alas, rumor has it that Julia Child took this recipe to her grave. We shall be forever deprived. Guess we can dunk our escargot in our soup. Suppose though, some would think this tres gauche!

The Lady Was a Spy

from

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2002/apr/spies/

Title: French Onion Soup (Child)

from

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/41/223893.shtml

Derf

Thanks for the recipe...now that's onion soup:p

Yes, of course no time these days to make homemade stock but if ya gonna do it,do it right

And wasn't escargot,onion soup a tongue and cheek.... I really don't think you would put delicate snails in a soup:eek:

CuriousCat

Archived