Ship to town transport?

Kinkacruiser

At the various ports of call in NZ, does Princess provide a bus service into the City( particularly to the Tourist Info Centres or I-Sites) or is transfer left up to us. I see mention on this board of particular buses one has to catch at certain ports. This query assumes one is not on a shore excursion with Princess for that port of call.

Could someone fill me in on the arrangements at Dunedin and Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland and Napier please?

Much oblidged,

Kinka

dunrdin and christchurch, there are definately buses that take you into town. You pay cash on board. You can also use american dollars to pay as you pay a princess rep ( i think it was anyway)

There are also numerous hire cars and taxis there. This may be cheaper if there are several of you. For us 5 it was cheaper to get a taxi.

If hiring a rental car they also will bring the car to the docks for you.

Not sure about other stops as we didnt stop there but other will help you.

In Auckland and Wellington, the pier is within walking distance (or a very short taxi ride) from downtown. I've never been on Princess, but I've been to both cities several times and walking is the 'way to go'. The bus from Lyttleton to Christchurch drops you off near the Visitor's center.

Could someone fill me in on the arrangements at Dunedin and Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland and Napier please?

Dunedin.

Port to City 20 minutes

Ship should provide a shuttle.Depending on what line will depend on charge.You can also walk to Port gates and you are in the village of Port Chalmers.Local bus to town also available,but dont count on one being there when you want one.

Christchurch

Port will provide a free shuttle through the port and out of the gates to Lyttleton as you are not permitted to walk through the container terminal.About 5 minutes.From there you can catch a bus into ChCh. about 20/30 minutes Ask driver or fellow passenger to show you where the return bus leaves from and you will be dropped off back at the Visitors centre in Lytttleton , as Sheila says above,and then onto the port shuttle to the gangway.

Wellington.

Easy walk.Some ships put on a shuttle to the main shopping street.Used it once but walked back.

Auckland.

Walk out of the terminal .

Napier.

Again a working area so the port puts on a free shuttle to the Visitors Centre on Marine Parade.About 5 mins.

If you decide to return to the ship by taxi from Christchurch be sure to take the right type of taxi. Not all taxi's are allowed into the port.

Good point. Blue Star Taxis can enter the port and take you to the gangway.

It would pay to check with your driver first and if they cant enter the port get him to drop you off at the visitors centre in the village and transfer to the port shuttle.

Archived