River Tubing Nightmare?

kasaba

Originally Posted by AllyCat81 viewpost.gif

Ocho Rios left a really bad taste in my mouth. We went to the falls and river tubing. The tubing was awful. Our guide offered us, and the other family that was with us drugs... he got us all seperated going down the river, took us off to this shady little shopping area where they try to force you to buy pictures . . . they give you attitude, then the guide expects a tip at the end. . . If I happen to wind up in Ocho Rios again, I will stay on the ship.

I'm REALLY bummed about this, because we pre-booked this excursion months ago and we sail next week :eek: Has anybody else had this experience? We are really thinking about cancelling and staying on board the Liberty. What would you do if you were in our flip-flops?

My DH and I are scheduled to do this excursion next week as well. This is our first time to Jamaica. We are booked through Mark Morris and plan on keeping the river tubing as part of our Jamaica experience. No matter what island or what excursion you will always find somebody that will complain.

I say to go for it!

We went with Phil Lafayette two years ago and had NO problems like this. Our guides on the tubing trip were wonderful and kept everyone safe and together--they spent more time in the water pulling and pushing our tubes than out--had no attitude (except a great one), no drugs offered, no urging to shady souvineer shops. In fact, Phil told us how to avoid the aggressive sellers in the shops at the top of Dunn's Falls.

We did give the tubing guides good tips (and knew ahead of time it was expected) because they did such a great job.

I guess booking the right company can make all the difference. We got lucky.

We also went with Phil LaFayette and had the greatest time. We have been on 6 cruises and still consider our river tubing to be the greatest excursion we have taken. We LOVED it and had no problems. We went shortly after a storm , the water was running really fast and the guides were fantastic about watching out for everyone and keeping them safe.

We are booked to go back in Jan 08 and plan to do it again.

For those of you who did river tubing with mark's tours, can you tell me what it actually entailed? Do you just drift down a river, and about how long? I'm cruising in two weeks with an extended family group, and someone booked this for us. thanks for any info.

For those of you who did river tubing with mark's tours, can you tell me what it actually entailed? Do you just drift down a river, and about how long? I'm cruising in two weeks with an extended family group, and someone booked this for us. thanks for any info.

We did it with mark morris (mariner the week of sept 23) and had a wonderful time. we first did the falls, and had a great time climbing and laughing the whole way up. we did this with my in-laws and a couple of older aunts, everyone had a great time. we then went to the tubing. I was a little nervous as we were driving into the middle of nothing and NO ONE was around, but our guide was great. We get our tubes go down some stairs and get into the river. If everyone HOLDS hands like they are are supposed to, no one gets lost. After going about half way down we stopped to look at the pictures that NO ONE forced us to buy, walk past a mini-mini-shop that no one pressured us. And then we had the option to jump off a cliff, which some of us did (I did and it was fun). We got back in our tubes and ended at a little shop where the ONLY thing they asked was for us to sign the guest book which we did.

I would HIGHLY recommend Marks Tours, he was thorough and spoke greatly of his country. He did bring us on a small driving tour as well through Fern Gully. He was great. And if you do book him, ASK him to climb the falls with you .... he will if someone offers for him to come along.

Enjoy Jamiaca...despite all the bad stories I heard I was really nervous, but I had to try for myself. I am so glad I did, Jamaica was beautiful and I would have been sad to miss it!

Originally Posted by AllyCat81 viewpost.gif

Ocho Rios left a really bad taste in my mouth. We went to the falls and river tubing. The tubing was awful. Our guide offered us, and the other family that was with us drugs... he got us all seperated going down the river, took us off to this shady little shopping area where they try to force you to buy pictures . . . they give you attitude, then the guide expects a tip at the end. . . If I happen to wind up in Ocho Rios again, I will stay on the ship.

I'm REALLY bummed about this, because we pre-booked this excursion months ago and we sail next week :eek: Has anybody else had this experience? We are really thinking about cancelling and staying on board the Liberty. What would you do if you were in our flip-flops?

I did river tubing with Marva Shaw the week of September 2. We had a great time. The guides were great and friendly. No offer of drugs. They do take your picture while tubing and try to get you to buy them for $5.00 (which we did). We really enjoyed ourselves and had a good time. I don't remember the name of the company though.

We were with Mark Morris tours (not him but his assistant)--honestly I do not think it matters who you book with becasue they drop you off and you go with the river guides that work at the river. So if you are with Phil, Marva or Mark--they just drop you off (someone correct me if this is wrong..?)

We had a blast river tubing---tho it was a lot shorter and a bit rougher then expected. From the pics it looks like it is a quiet ride but it is not. Don't get me wrong we thought it was great but there were some poeple with us (that we didn't know prior to) that did not appreicate this. One lady wore high heeled shoes, capris and a shirt and purse--she lost one shoe, was wet head to toe and her purse could have been a water canister.

My best sugestion is to leave behind your sunglasses--wear your bathing suit, watershoes and bring a waterproof camera--You will get wet!!!

On to time---it was 15 min ride--then a stop for the jump and a look at crafts and a look at the pictures that they took. Yes, there was a bit of pressure to buy but from what I understand it wasn't as bad as it can be on street. I would have prefered it to be at the end of the tour where you can just walk away rather then right in the middle of the tour. This stop was about 20 mins. Then it was about 10 more minutes down the river.

We were not offered drugs tho we could smell drugs (desite all the signs saying that it is prohibited) at the stop point.

We were with Mark Morris tours (not him but his assistant)--honestly I do not think it matters who you book with becasue they drop you off and you go with the river guides that work at the river. So if you are with Phil, Marva or Mark--they just drop you off (someone correct me if this is wrong..?)

This is what I am beginning to believe as well. What was the assistant like? Did he give you a bit of a driving tour with some info.?

We had a blast river tubing---tho it was a lot shorter and a bit rougher then expected. From the pics it looks like it is a quiet ride but it is not.

When you say rough, do you mean more rushing water, rocks, or what?

This is what I am beginning to believe as well. What was the assistant like? Did he give you a bit of a driving tour with some info.?

His name was Victor--he was good. There was a bit of a mix-up he dropped us a the river first then the falls should have been the other way around. Beucase of this mix-up he was late to pick us up by about a 1/2 hour (I was nervous--our bag was in the bus and we had no money on us--my hubby said don't worry they will be back to pick us up and they were) Anyways Victor was very appologetic and I truly belive he did not mean to do this to us (it was, like I said a bit of a mix up). BUT--also becuase of this mix up we we got a more personal tour of things that were not on the list. AND, despite the mix up I would not hesitate to recommend Mark Morris tours.

When you say rough, do you mean more rushing water, rocks, or what?

Kinda like sitting in a tube and the water is moving you down the river, at times you go underwater up to your chest--sometimes you are going so fast you have to watch you don't bang into the trees on the sides of the river. I hope that makes sense--there were parts of the river that were slow and you could get your camera out a take a picture and there were sometimes when it was moving too quick.

I hope that helps---

We went River Tubing the middle of Sept and was with Wentworth Pearson of Wentworth tours. A good Christian man, family man, and born and raised in Ocho Rios. A good driver, great condition vehicle (with really great air conditioning). Never asked about drugs but warned us about people approaching in some of the shopping areas, etc.

Archived