Fogfog

OK

If for our next cruise its JUST ABOUT THE SHIP-NOT THE PORTS OF CALL

--one big floating resort...for a family break in March

Would you do

Freedom of the Seas

or Mariner of the Seas with

BOYS

ages 12 and almost 15...this would be their 4th cruise...

or would you choose something else? We live in FL so we'll drive to the port.

Thanks

NO DOUBT FREEDOM!!!!!!

The Mariner doesn't have the H20 zone. The Mariner doesn't have the Centilever hot tubs that hang over the side. The Mariner doesn't have the flowrider (fun to watch the people surf, then not surf...lol). And I don't think the Mariner has the golf simulator either (my hubby liked that). And the Freedom has a boxing ring (my hubby liked that too)

This is Freedom. We liked it so much we booked Liberty for April and cancelled Disney.

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863-1.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Tell me about size of crowd and pax crusinmama--

Is it PACKED and are we asking for it in March...

This is a much larger ship and a much large group of people--

Will we actually enjoy the ship...Will mnay get off on port days so to speak--

I know its a crystal ball--but how big is big and how crowded are we talking..kwim

fogfog

Tell me about size of crowd and pax crusinmama--

Is it PACKED and are we asking for it in March...

This is a much larger ship and a much large group of people--

Will we actually enjoy the ship...Will mnay get off on port days so to speak--

I know its a crystal ball--but how big is big and how crowded are we talking..kwim

fogfog

I have seen some figures around the RCCL board that talk about Freedom/Liberty having more square feet per passenger (obviously). So on a smaller ship, with less passengers, you feel more crowded than on a bigger ship with more passengers.

We felt more crowded on our other cruises.

And on port days, the solarium was empty. It was awesome. We stayed on board in Jamaica and we slept by the pool. It was a nice way to relax.

The only time I noticed the crowds were at embarkation and debarkation. THEN you notice the crowds.

Even at some ports, the captain would come on and announce that there was "no waiting" to get off the ship.

Thanks.

It looks like a ncie ship but the March time slots mean spring breakers..and I don't necessarily want a drunken party boat...because of safety for my teens.

however..it looks like there is lots to do and they would enjoy it.

DH wants to try rccl... and the ship is THE destination...

we have done Disney, Carnival and sale x in Dec.

Thanks ...

One of the great things about cruising is that a sold-out ship cannot be any MORE crowded during peak periods such as spring break versus low season. You simply pay more during peak season. During spring breaks, the main difference is not so much more partiers, but rather that the passenger mix includes much larger numbers of children overall.

The 7 night cruises rarely get the drunken party boat crowd even during Spring Break. Usually that crowd goes for the 3 to 5 night cruises.

I agree! Spring Breakers won't be looking for an expensive cruise. And let's face it, FOS/LOS isn't the cheapest out there. You will have more younger kids with their families. But I wouldn't say that you will have alot of drunken college kids.

Doesn't RCCL have the age 25 policy? You have to have one person age 25 in each cabin? And RCCL has a curfew for under 18.

So anyone looking for a party time, won't like the rules set on RCCL. ;)

Doesn't RCCL have the age 25 policy? You have to have one person age 25 in each cabin? And RCCL has a curfew for under 18.

So anyone looking for a party time, won't like the rules set on RCCL. ;)

RCCL's age limit is 21 but it still restricts most of the drunken party cruisers.

Thanks all.

We may consider it--It looks like a great ship...and our boys are going to be 12 and almost 15...They are past kiddie activities yet for both their protection and the sanity of everyone on board....they have the ability to do things on their own as long as they are respectful to everyone, do not go into any cabins nor have anyone in theirs, have dinner with us, and are in the cabin by mom's/dad's curfew etc.

This ship may have enough diversions for them to have fun :)

• 3 weeks later...

How do I find the Best price on a rccl cruise like that---the prices seem really high compared to some other lines/ships...

besides online--I recall hearing about happy hour or something like that for specials and deals by state..

how do i find those?

How do I find the Best price on a rccl cruise like that---the prices seem really high compared to some other lines/ships...

besides online--I recall hearing about happy hour or something like that for specials and deals by state..

how do i find those?

You just have to keep checking for "hot deals". They have some hot days listed on www.rccl.com

You can go to the RCCL board and ask about the happy hour specials....someone will post the link (I don't have it)

Liberty just went on special for Thanksgiving Week (which I couldn't believe). They were starting insides for $499 per person. :eek: That is REALLY cheap for Liberty.

Do you do insides, outsides, balconies or suites? Are you getting 1 or 2 cabins?

If price is an issue, and you have never done RCCL before, then try the Voyager class (Mariner). You can always work your way up to Freedom class later when the prices drop. Right now those ships are in high demand. But once more Freedom ships come into service (like Independence) LOS and FOS will drop in price. And once Genesis comes into service in 2009, the LOS/FOS will take another price drop I bet. :)

We were just on Mariner last month and the ship has bigger facilities for teens than most of the other Voyager class ships, including a teens-only club. If price is a factor, I might choose Mariner. It's a beautiful ship and will soon be leaving the east coast, so worth seeing before it sails around the horn to LA.

PS-Cruisinmama06 - Mariner does have the golf simulator...but not the Flow Rider, which could be a draw for teens.

One of the great things about cruising is that a sold-out ship cannot be any MORE crowded during peak periods such as spring break versus low season. You simply pay more during peak season. During spring breaks, the main difference is not so much more partiers, but rather that the passenger mix includes much larger numbers of children overall.

LOL - yes it can't be more crowded--but these ships are HUGE and have tons of people per sq ft..

You just have to keep checking for "hot deals". They have some hot days listed on www.rccl.com

You can go to the RCCL board and ask about the happy hour specials....someone will post the link (I don't have it)

Liberty just went on special for Thanksgiving Week (which I couldn't believe). They were starting insides for $499 per person. :eek: That is REALLY cheap for Liberty.

Do you do insides, outsides, balconies or suites? Are you getting 1 or 2 cabins?

If price is an issue, and you have never done RCCL before, then try the Voyager class (Mariner). You can always work your way up to Freedom class later when the prices drop. Right now those ships are in high demand. But once more Freedom ships come into service (like Independence) LOS and FOS will drop in price. And once Genesis comes into service in 2009, the LOS/FOS will take another price drop I bet. :)

We try to do one balconey and onside across the hall for the boys.

We have sailed Disney, Carnival and are sailing Celebrity in Dec.

We have had a lot of expenses this year..DH and DS14 went out west trekking for 2 weeks, DS11 and I went to Wash DC for a week, both boys go to provate school, then add braces etc..and we had been in Europe for 3 weeks last Christmas.. etc

so DH may say enough--and think we need to be home in MArch--expecially if the high season prices and few cabin picks because its very full already prevent a good deal and a good cabin local. KWIM

We were just on Mariner last month and the ship has bigger facilities for teens than most of the other Voyager class ships, including a teens-only club. If price is a factor, I might choose Mariner. It's a beautiful ship and will soon be leaving the east coast, so worth seeing before it sails around the horn to LA.

PS-Cruisinmama06 - Mariner does have the golf simulator...but not the Flow Rider, which could be a draw for teens.

That's a a thought too..

How do you know the ship is moving? Do you mean for a season change or its permanently mmoving to the west coast?

So many here know the inside scoop--how do I find out this stuff:rolleyes:

In Jan. of 2009, Mariner begins a 46 day journey from Port Canaveral to Rio, "Around the Horn," and South America to LA, where it will ultimately stay.

How do we know these things? ODing on Cruise Critic; it's a sickness, really, but I'm not looking for a cure right now.

Good luck with your choice. The good news is there's no wrong choice.

In Jan. of 2009, Mariner begins a 46 day journey from Port Canaveral to Rio, "Around the Horn," and South America to LA, where it will ultimately stay.

How do we know these things? ODing on Cruise Critic; it's a sickness, really, but I'm not looking for a cure right now.

Good luck with your choice. The good news is there's no wrong choice.

LOL:D :D

Yes I too find myself on the Cruisecritic site often! And then think--what have I done in the last hour--YIKES:eek:

Archived