Planes, Hotels and SeaDream Yacht’s

raingage

O.K., deposits done we are ready to go!

Except we now need to find flights, we typically don’t like to arrive at the port the day of departure. This could be a problem, as most hotels that we have looked at require a three night minimum. My wife said she could deal with going to Antigua for three nights before our SeaDream Cruise.

We are trying to use miles for our airfare, although we aren’t having a lot of luck. We can fly in and out of San Juan in Business/First class or we can use the same amount of miles and fly coach to Antigua. My wife would rather stay the three days in Antigua than use the same amount of miles for coach. Of course we can leave three days before the cruise departs and travel Business/First directly to Antigua and use the minimum amount of miles.

Lastly my Travel Agent quoted me $800 a night for a room in Antigua.

I could be broke before I even get on the Yacht, Help....

Here is my question:

How do you guy’s feel about arriving at the port on the day of departure?

Any Idea’s on inexpensive travel between San Juan and Antigua?

If you know of any Hotels that might book only one night and or is inexpensive enough to stay three nights and not cost as much as my all inclusive cruise?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated; we are looking forward to this experience. We just have to find out HOW…..

Can't help you with Antigua. I will tell you that the last time we planned to arrive at the port (Nice, France) the day of departure our luggage went to Venice (airport code VCE, rather than NCE) and caught up to us at our hotel in Rome 7 days later. Have not done that since and don't plan to do so ever again.

Here is my question:

Any Idea’s on inexpensive travel between San Juan and Antigua?

If you know of any Hotels that might book only one night and or is inexpensive enough to stay three nights and not cost as much as my all inclusive cruise?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated; we are looking forward to this experience. We just have to find out HOW…..

We almost always fly to our departure port the day before ... especially with the way airlines are operating these days with lost luggage, misdirected luggage and the whole timetable issue (We used to be able to fly everywhere direct but not anymore since we moved from PA to NC).

We haven't been to Antigua since our honeymoon 23 years ago:eek: American has a direct flight from SJU to Antigua for around $300 and LIAT has a flight that goes from SJU to Tortola to Antigua for $480.

Can't help in terms of hotel ... although you might want to do a quick search on one of the travel sites like Orbitz.

You will have a wonderful cruise I am sure!

Raingage,

We are arriving in Antigua three days early -- using miles on American from Baltimore via San Juan straight into Antigua. SeaDream docks in St. John. We are staying at the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel in English Harbor (www.copperandlumberhotel.com ) and then again the night we arrive back in Antigua (flying out the next day). You might also try this link for a list of all the hotels in Antigua (several do have a three day minimum -- and not sure you'd like some of the ones that don't :eek: )

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org/Agacc01.htm. Be sure to check out Trip Advisor once you think you may have a hotel in mind.

We ALWAYS fly in at least the day before the cruise -- but have started going in two or three days early to give us a chance to explore a bit more in depth.

Hope this helps!

Vandrefalk

We were in Antigua last April and stayed at Carlisle Bay for a week and then on to Jumby Bay for 4 days. Loved Jumby but it is very pricey. Carlisle Bay did not turn us on (not on a great beach). However we toured a relatively new spot called Hermitage Bay while we were there. It was lovely! Drop dead gorgeous and sexy rooms, fantastic beach. Though it was quiet. The rates in November (all-inclusive) I felt were a steal. I think a great place to stay pre or post cruise.

May I suggest what my wife and I have done. We go down to San Juan a few days early and chill out there. On Sunday morning we take the short flight over to Antigua. No problem with the luggage since it is a direct flight. In San Juan there are so many hotels choices and most of the time we can use points at the Intercontinental, Hilton or Sheraton. The Interconti is our favorite, great pool, swim up bar and beach. In season, Antigua can just be too pricey.

We have done round-trip SJU and then purchased seperate one-way or round trip, SJU-ANT. I have found this to be a cheaper option in the past.

Archived