Age Difficulties...

WB1080

My name is Whitney. My boyfriend won a cruise at work that has to be used by February. They won't let us book the cruise together because he is 24 and apparently Carnival has a rule that if you are not over 21 then you have to be rooming with someone over 25.:confused:

The only thing I can think to do is find some others who are going on the cruise and over 25. Would it be a problem for us to say we were rooming with other people on paper and switch once we got there?

Has anyone else had this problem (or found a solution), or better yet, is anyone cruising out of New Orleans in early January? ;)

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

progress.gif

Are you under age 21? You only said your boyfriend's age but not yours. So if you're under 21, no Carnival won't allow you to book the cruise with your boyfriend. They will check your ages at embarkation, and since you must have either a passport or government issued birth certificate, they will know your age.

This is from Carnival's website:

How old do you have to be to travel alone?

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

I highly doubt you're going to find anyone who will participate in something that's technically illegal according to the cruise line's rules. They run the risk of being thrown off the ship, along with you and your boyfriend with no refund of the cruise fare.

Are you under age 21? You only said your boyfriend's age but not yours. So if you're under 21, no Carnival won't allow you to book the cruise with your boyfriend. They will check your ages at embarkation, and since you must have either a passport or government issued birth certificate, they will know your age.

This is from Carnival's website:

How old do you have to be to travel alone?

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Married minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple is married. The couple must have proof of marriage at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. NO exceptions will be made at embarkation.

The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

I highly doubt you're going to find anyone who will participate in something that's technically illegal according to the cruise line's rules. They run the risk of being thrown off the ship, along with you and your boyfriend with no refund of the cruise fare.

You'd be surprised how many people are willing to help. They understand that we're a young couple who're wanting to have some fun on a free [earned] cruise. According to some of the replies we've received on another forum this situation is circumvented all the time. Thanks for your concern, but I'm sure we'll find a way!

You'd be surprised how many people are willing to help. They understand that we're a young couple who're wanting to have some fun on a free [earned] cruise. According to some of the replies we've received on another forum this situation is circumvented all the time. Thanks for your concern, but I'm sure we'll find a way!

This has nothing to do with people willing to help, this is a matter of Homeland Security. They WILL check your ages and if one of you is NOT 25, they will NOT let you on the ship. The fact that you are a young couple doesn't mean anything, the fact that you want to have fun on your free cruise doesn't mean anything, all that matters is whether you meet the criteria to board the ship. Please don't let someone try to tell you that somehow you will be able to "get by" with the age thing because you won't! If I have misunderstood your post, then forgive me, but i just wanted to warn you that they are very strict! Good luck!!:)

This has nothing to do with people willing to help, this is a matter of Homeland Security. They WILL check your ages and if one of you is NOT 25, they will NOT let you on the ship. The fact that you are a young couple doesn't mean anything, the fact that you want to have fun on your free cruise doesn't mean anything, all that matters is whether you meet the criteria to board the ship. Please don't let someone try to tell you that somehow you will be able to "get by" with the age thing because you won't! If I have misunderstood your post, then forgive me, but i just wanted to warn you that they are very strict! Good luck!!:)

I guess this is another case of wanting the rules apply to everyone but me.:rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with people willing to help, this is a matter of Homeland Security.

This is not a matter of homeland security. This is policy that was implemented by the cruiselines way before the term homeland security was ever used. This is the cruiselines way of dealing with spring break.

If this couple's booking is split so that each has a person over 25 in there room, that "adult" is responsible for the younger people. Any damage, any drunkness, any whatever. If someone is willing to help, good for them. They are taking on responsibility/liability.

I often wonder how everything gets so out of hand during spring breaks if this is the cruise line policy.

What's the rule for RCCL. My Daughter 20, and her boyfriend 21 have a cruise booked, Mariner of the Seas in August.

I have read on these boards where parties involved don't know about this until the end and then it becomes ugly. Make sure RCCL knows the ages - I know they do in their system - as in specifically asking. In the end I don't think they will be allowed on the ship, and better to find out now than later.

This is not a matter of homeland security. This is policy that was implemented by the cruiselines way before the term homeland security was ever used. This is the cruiselines way of dealing with spring break.

If this couple's booking is split so that each has a person over 25 in there room, that "adult" is responsible for the younger people. Any damage, any drunkness, any whatever. If someone is willing to help, good for them. They are taking on responsibility/liability.

I often wonder how everything gets so out of hand during spring breaks if this is the cruise line policy.

Thanks for correcting me on that!!:)

What's the rule for RCCL. My Daughter 20, and her boyfriend 21 have a cruise booked, Mariner of the Seas in August.

The rule for Royal Caribbean according to a leading US TA is :-

Age Restrictions One person must be 21 or older

That is shown for Mariner of the Sea.

Interestingly UK based Cunard and P&O both say one must be 18+. Whereas Costa, Italian based say one must be 21+

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai (I just fit the Carnival rule of 25+ but only just):D

The Canival booking system already catches it when the date of birth is entered and will decline the booking. In this case I would definately call Carnival and explain the problem. Either they will extend the voucher until the winner is 25 or they might make an exception - however only superior supervisor will be able to make that call. Incidently if they do make an exception then what could happen is they take an extra refundable deposit for damages- just incase. It would probably also help if you cruised outside of springbreaks etc.

Hello,

If your BF (age 24) won a cruise, it is possible that Carnival will make an exception here. Do you know if there were any age restrictions, that is, how old the winner of the contest had to be? And if he won the cruise as part of an incentive progam at his work, Carnival may have to make an exception because they want to keep his company's business.

Write a letter to Carnival, to the attention of no lower than a senior vice president, and ask for an exception. Tell them the circumstances in a polite, well written letter. Add some true things about both of you (employment, college/vocational training, charitable organizations that you belong to) to demonstrate that you are the kind of persons who should be granted an exception to the rule.

Under no circumstances should you commit anything illegal, especially in this time of homeland security.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Homeland Security??? This is a cruiseline policy. We have a 15 and 16 year old booked in their own cabin on Celebrity. Celebrity allows this as long as they are in the same quadrant as adults (cabins near each other).

Btw, they have their own booking number (must enter their names in the system not mine) although the two reservations are linked.

Pull a 'Britney Spears'.

Not what I would do personally.......but just a brain storm since she is all over the news today.

As for:

NICE TO SEE!

I guess Carnival is way ahead of most of this country!!!

Unfortunately, only a handful of couples will be able to show legal proof as there is none in a majority of the states:(

Sorry to go off topic a bit...but thanks Darcie for posting the info!

Dave:eek:

Hello,

If your BF (age 24) won a cruise, it is possible that Carnival will make an exception here. Do you know if there were any age restrictions, that is, how old the winner of the contest had to be? And if he won the cruise as part of an incentive progam at his work, Carnival may have to make an exception because they want to keep his company's business.

Write a letter to Carnival, to the attention of no lower than a senior vice president, and ask for an exception. Tell them the circumstances in a polite, well written letter. Add some true things about both of you (employment, college/vocational training, charitable organizations that you belong to) to demonstrate that you are the kind of persons who should be granted an exception to the rule.

Under no circumstances should you commit anything illegal, especially in this time of homeland security.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Very good advice. It would be silly to give a free cruise to someone unable to use it!

One other thing - offer to make a damages deposit, in case that is why they have the age rule thing.

things to take into consideration: your BF won the cruise. as he is of legal age according to the cruise line's policy, they cruise line is under no obligation to grant an exception to you as you are NOT the winner of the cruise. you may very well find that they consider this a separate issue entirely. You are under age, and you wish to book with some one under their age limit to allow under aged cruisers to travel, this has nothing to do with the cruise that he won at all.

Unless you can find someone over 25 who is willing to be the third wheel and share a cabin with you as well as take full legal responsibility for you, not to mention running the risk of being shut out of the cabin in case you and the BF want alone time, you may be out of luck.

.............As for: Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union minor couple - The booking must be documented that the couple are legal Domestic Partners/Same-Sex Union. The couple must have legal proof of partnership/union at embarkation or they will be denied boarding without the benefit of a refund.

NICE TO SEE! I guess Carnival is way ahead of most of this country!!!

Unfortunately, only a handful of couples will be able to show legal proof as there is none in a majority of the states:( Dave:eek:

I would think that would be easy to establish if each partner can produce a driver's license with the same address. I would not think a same sex "marriage" certificate would be needed.

Homeland Security??? This is a cruiseline policy. We have a 15 and 16 year old booked in their own cabin on Celebrity. Celebrity allows this as long as they are in the same quadrant as adults (cabins near each other).

Btw, they have their own booking number (must enter their names in the system not mine) although the two reservations are linked.

Duh... how does that help the OP. She is not sailing Celebrity and does not have teenage kids she is concerned about. Her case would be analogous to your 15 and 16 yr olds sailing by themselves.

The rule for Royal Caribbean according to a leading US TA is :-

Age Restrictions One person must be 21 or older

That is shown for Mariner of the Sea.

Interestingly UK based Cunard and P&O both say one must be 18+. Whereas Costa, Italian based say one must be 21+

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai (I just fit the Carnival rule of 25+ but only just):D

Costa is 25 years of age requred for one of the passengers, came as Carnival. That is their published minor policy from their brochure. Princess is 21, RCCL is 21, Celebrity/Azamara is 21, NCL is 21, HAL is 25, so make sure. There is no uniform age across the board. Cunard says 18 for drinking and gambling, but that may not fly for the US since most states are at 21, and they may not be able to indulge in US ports (St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc.)

It's strange how the age policies are over the board when so many are controlled by one company.

Archived