which boat

ugpdfw

Ok, we just got back from a trip on the Fantasy. To be honest I wasent really impressed. The trip I took was 95% all expenses paid. So I didnt really have any out of pocket. But at the same time, I would have dished out some cash if I knew there was something else out there. We are looking for ethier mexico or carribean cruises. Id be willing to hear some suggestions of other boats that you like. If carnival isnt your thing, Id love to hear about other lines as well.

Thanks

Ok, we just got back from a trip on the Fantasy. To be honest I wasent really impressed. The trip I took was 95% all expenses paid. So I didnt really have any out of pocket. But at the same time, I would have dished out some cash if I knew there was something else out there. We are looking for ethier mexico or carribean cruises. Id be willing to hear some suggestions of other boats that you like. If carnival isnt your thing, Id love to hear about other lines as well.

Thanks

Is this the cruise your company paid for? If you were going with people from your company, how could you have gone another way? Sorry you didn't enjoy it. What in particular were you unhappy about?

By the way, it's a SHIP, not a boat.

I love the Miracle......

Spirit Class ships are medium size ships with most of the amenities of the bigger ships but in a comfortable/easier deck plan than the bigger ships. Even though we had no problem finding things to do until late hours, these do have the reputation for a more subtle nightlife.

Miracle is currently doing caribbean out of NY but switching to FLL in a few weeks. Tampa has the Legend. I believe the others are out of the west coast covering the Alaska/Hawaii and Mex Riv routes.

this might help you too.....

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

We loved the Valor. The Triumph was OK. Looking into the Glory or the Splendor. The Pride also gets consistently good reviews. Most, if not all, ships offer the same activities fleetwide, dependant upon how active and/or creative your CD is.

I put a post up about this a few weeks ago...take it with a grain of salt if someone says "this ship is good for couples", or "this ship is more family oriented", or "this ship has great nightlife". It totally depends on the crowd of passengers, which obviously change from week to week. And also the length of the cruise (the consensus around here is that the best crowds are on the 7 day or longer sailings). Get another couple to come along and bring the party with you! That's the most foolproof way to have a good time. Works for us, anyway (I honestly don't know that I could have as good of a time with just my DH, LOL).:)

I can understand how you may not have been impressed with the Fantasy...it's one of the older and smaller ships of the fleet. I don't know if I'd even book on a Fantasy class ship (although I'd happily go on an all expenses paid trip aboard one). And, if you think about it, since the sailings are shorter, there's been considerably more people on and off the smaller ships, adding to the general wear and tear factor. If you want impressive, my advice would be to sail larger and younger ships.

Hope that helps!

Charming 01,

First, don't worry. We were all newbies once ourselves. I think the following is correct, but don't hold me to it.

Ship classes are named by the first ship of that type to be built. Oldest to newest:

Holiday and Celebration - some slight differences between the lower decks and sizes. I'm not sure if they are considered one or two classes. Apx 47,000 tons.

Fantasy Class were built between 1990 and 1998. They are all the same, except for the decor. Same deck plans, same size, etc. They include the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation & Paradise. 70,367 tons.

Destiny is kind of by herself. 101,353 tons.

Triumph & Victory, 1999 - 2000. 101,509 tons.

Spirit Class (my favorite) - Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle. 2001 - 2004. 88,500 tons.

Conquest Class (a close second favorite) - Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty & Freedom. 2002 - 2006. 110,000 Tons.

Splendor - newest, 113,300 tons.

Get ahold of one of the big Carnival brochures from a travel agent. Look at the deck plans in the back. It doesn't say which class, but the first ship mentioned in the headlines is the class.

PS - my father tells me that the weights mentioned above isn't the ship's weight, but rather the weight of the water the ship displaces as it sits in the water.

I've been on the Spirit Class (Miracle) and the Conquest Class (Conquest) and loved both ships! The layout was quite different and I'd have to say the Miracle was easier to navigate, but the nightlife seemed more, well, lively on the Conquest. The discos and bars were very spaced out on the Miracle and always seemed kind of dead.

I'm setting sail on the Liberty in less than two weeks (Conquest Class) and I've heard nothing but great things about it!

To the OP, I would just try a newer ship--something built in the last three or four years. The Fantasy is what, 17 years old or so? Yikes!

Charming 01,

First, don't worry. We were all newbies once ourselves. I think the following is correct, but don't hold me to it.

Ship classes are named by the first ship of that type to be built. Oldest to newest:

Holiday and Celebration - some slight differences between the lower decks and sizes. I'm not sure if they are considered one or two classes. Apx 47,000 tons.

Fantasy Class were built between 1990 and 1998. They are all the same, except for the decor. Same deck plans, same size, etc. They include the Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation & Paradise. 70,367 tons.

Destiny is kind of by herself. 101,353 tons.

Triumph & Victory, 1999 - 2000. 101,509 tons.

Spirit Class (my favorite) - Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle. 2001 - 2004. 88,500 tons.

Conquest Class (a close second favorite) - Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty & Freedom. 2002 - 2006. 110,000 Tons.

Splendor - newest, 113,300 tons.

Get ahold of one of the big Carnival brochures from a travel agent. Look at the deck plans in the back. It doesn't say which class, but the first ship mentioned in the headlines is the class.

PS - my father tells me that the weights mentioned above isn't the ship's weight, but rather the weight of the water the ship displaces as it sits in the water.

is the internal volum that cargo can occupy..not water displacement,or weight of the vessel

I didn't care for the Fantasy, either. I much prefer the Conquest, but it only goes on 7 day cruises. It's out of Galveston. We're going to try the Carnival Ecstasy, which is a sister ship to the Fantasy, in Feb. Will let you know how we like that one.

The Conquest class ships do seem nicer as they are larger and most importantly, newer. The Fantasy class ships are all going to be refurbished and updated. I think the Fantasy is scheduled for the improvements some time next year. We enjoyed our cruise on her last year and can't wait to go again in a few weeks.

I posted a link a couple of times re: ship classes.

Just Google "Carnival Ship Classes" and you'll get a Wikipedia link. That page has a box that lists the classes of ships. Click on any of those and a page comes up that lists every ship in each class.

I sailed the Fantasy twice and then one of her sister ships, Elation, last December.

I rather like the size. Not too big and certainly larger than the two ships I sailed before Fantasy!

Elation's decor was much more subdued and quite attractive. Sometimes I get the impression that people think if a ship is more than a couple of years old that she's old and outdated. Must have bigger, better, more, more, more bells and whistles. Sheesh, I can't do all the activities offered on the smaller ships and realize after 5 days that there are areas of the ship I haven't explored!

No supper club in the Fantasy Class, so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm a little confused as the "activities for couples" comment, though. I'm single and cruise with my daughter and/or friends and feel like I'm just about the only unmarried person on the cruise! Couples everywhere! They must be doing things (because they aren't spend 24/7 in their cabins ;) ).

Sometimes cruising is just not your thing. It isn't for everyone, hard to believe, but it isn't. My dad does not like it at all, but wil put himself through it because my step mom loves it. Maybe you should try another, but only you know if you took to it or not...

Fantasy was my first ship and i was MEMORIZED by her...

Thanks

I guess what I ment by this is, the group that went with us on the fantasy ( 200 people) seemed kinda lame, no one really did anything together. The main things we are looking for are good ports, a better pool and deck area, the fantasy's pool was about the size of a bathtub, both of them. Also a ship that is in better ship. Though we didnt pay for the cruise, the company was trying to save every dollar they could. If they hadnt promised to pay for everything but drink, we would have had to pay for the food(joke).

Measures of size

By convention and long usage, the size of civilian passenger ships is measured by gross tonnage, which is a measure of enclosed volume. Gross tonnage is not a measure of weight, although the two concepts are often confused. Weight is measured by displacement, which is the conventional means of measuring naval vessels. Often a passenger ship is stated to "weigh" or "displace" a certain "tonnage", but the figure given nearly always refers to gross tons.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_ship

Archived