To Balcony or Not To Balcony...

BelizePlease

Wait until after final payment and checkout the last minute upgrade rates. Sometimes you can upgrade for $100pp. If not, enjoy your inside cabin and make the most of your time on deck.

I met a fellow in the hot tub on our Princess cruise last year and he couldn't understand why people would pay so much more for a balcony. I told him we bargain shop and end up with balcony cabins for the price of an inside by smart shopping. We either book 18 months in advance or as soon as a cruise is announced or we book last minute. If balcony cabins are too expensive, we will go with an inside cabin.

When we take short cruises with ports of calls each day, we always book inside cabins because we are off the ship from dawn to dusk--no time to sit on a balcony.

I think it depends on the occasion, the cruise and the price. I have had a few balcony's, a mini suite with TWO TV's only eight channels or so but two TV's. I usually book inside thats partly because I don't spend much time in my cabin. To me a cruise to Alaska merits a balcony. Panama Canal merits a balcony. We are sailing Celebrity's Summit to Hawaii our 36th anniversary this month a balcony. After that the Constellation Russia & the Baltics inside cabin. I'd rather do five or six vacations a year than two or three.

My three cents

I had a balcony on my last cruise on Carnival and would not cruise any other way now. It is so peaceful to go sit and watch the water... and on my upcoming cruise a full moon on the water.

Also, I am an early riser so it means I can go sit on the balcony, look out to sea or read, and not bother anyone in the early am.

I always love to hear people saying that they "hardly spend anytime in their cabin". If I had a cabin with no balcony or window, I would spend NO time there, just to sleep and get ready and I would be OUT, just like that!:eek: But that is just me, I would never sail without a balcony!

Everyone knows what works best for them, this is just how I maximize my cruising experience.:)

I am done comparing prices of a balcony vs. any other cabin. We know what we want: An AFT balcony on a trans-Atlantic cruise. When we find one that we feel we can afford, we book it. Actually, we’d prefer a 15-day cruise to nowhere, but I have not found one yet. We cruise to be on a ship, not to go sightseeing. The balcony provides us with our own private outside space, which we utilize to the fullest.

695822369_ByebyeFloridass.jpg.8ef33c3721ceab5eabdffbe29e1409ff.jpg

When we recently booked our Pearl cruise we hadn't even considered a non-balcony room. We both enjoy the thought of the fresh air and being able to leave the door open at night. I can understand the case to be made for taking a cheaper category if it allows you to cruise more often though :) After many years of caribbean resort vacations, we're exited about this first cruise and are already thinking about how to swing maybe two per year. We often talked of cruising, but only after these many years did we finally get around to it :D

Rich

I started cruising with inside, then ocean view, then balcony and have never gone back. I Love the balcony regardless of time spent there. My biggest fear is getting a mini suite and then being spoiled by it and never going back to balcony!

Just wanted to make sure you knew (not that it matters really) but the cabins on NCL are a lot smaller than on CCL. The balcony on NCL helps but just wanted you to know. We love balconies but we like a cheaper price too. I got in on an upgrade a few months ago for an upcoming cruise from an outside to a balcony... the prices seem to be coming down on the Pearl (their balconies are HIGH) you might want to consider booking an outside and then upgrading to a balcony if the price comes down or if they offer you an upsell. I booked the Dawn instead (was looking at the Pearl) because the balcony prices were outrageous for the route. CCL had much better prices for balconies for similar routes. Debbie

For me we do not spend any time in our cabin except to sleep. We did purchase a balcony last time on the Mariner of the Seas Royal Caribbean.It was quite a bit more money and we decided it was not worth the extra money. That being said it just really depends how much time you are in there. My friends had young children that had to take naps and they would put them to sleep and then they would enjoy the balcony. If you have tons of money I would spring for it but we decided the money would be better spent on excursions, etc! I loved our balcony so if you decide to take it have a great time!

When we recently booked our Pearl cruise we hadn't even considered a non-balcony room. We both enjoy the thought of the fresh air and being able to leave the door open at night. I can understand the case to be made for taking a cheaper category if it allows you to cruise more often though :) After many years of caribbean resort vacations, we're exited about this first cruise and are already thinking about how to swing maybe two per year. We often talked of cruising, but only after these many years did we finally get around to it :D

Rich

Your "first" cruise will always be your "best" cruise. Relax and enjoy EVERY minute of it:)

I agree...the fresh air and the sound of the ocean is the best part of cruising. The balcony... morning, noon and night. Heaven!

I really do not care about the ports. I dislike "tours" but will get off of the ship if I can tour on my own.

Give me the ship and my balcony (and butler and concierge);)

We cruise less to enjoy the balcony more;)

Please come back and post your first cruising experience.

Have a wonderful "first" cruise:)

Hi We had a oceanview cabin on our last cruise [1st] & it was great but our next cruise we are booking a balcony so we've got the option to sit out there for brekky & evening drinks if we do desire. who cares what it cost as long as you are happy at what you are doing at the time. It's entirely you decision.

enjoy what you want.

Have never done inside and never will unless it is given to me, and then I might... I love popping up and looking out the window or balcony in the middle of the night too. If you cruise during full moon, it is wonderful. Done many ocean view and many balcony, couple of suites. Booked an oceanview due to cost for upcoming NCL Star/Alaska. Told friend and she told me I might as well go ahead and do balcony for Alaska because she knew I would cave before sail date. Three days later I booked balcony. Much happier and worth the extra money to be able to sit, view, smell, and taste the air from my own cabin anytime I want to do so. My travel agent and I will continue to watch prices prior to final payment and MAYBE they will come down, but I am very satisfied as I know how much we will enjoy it as always. My CCL sailing in January is an ocean view.

Again, we are all different and you have to do what you are comfortable with. As many say, it would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.

The Legend is my favorite ship...so far. :) Made some great friends the two cruises we took on her! Both crew...and passengers!

This year we were on the Miracle as it went out of NY instead of the Legend. Sister ship and loved it just as well.....great food, service, etc.

Janet:)

You only go around once.................There is nothing like having the doorwall open and having the waves lull you to sleep while breathing the fresh air............only problem is...once you get one...your hooked!!!!

You are absolutely right. My husband refuses to cruise any other way and must have his balcony. He enjoys taking a 1/2 hour nap before dinner and sometimes late at night he loved just sitting there in the dark:eek: .....I find late night creepy and won't sit there. LOL

Janet:)

We're booked on the same ship (Pearl) and the same itinerary (So. Carib.) in less than 2 weeks and are so completely looking forward to our first balcony. I realize we'll probably never go back, but in all honesty, that's great, wouldn't want to!

It's all about finding bargains and doing your homework/research. We're landlocked so as close to the ocean I can get the better. The idea of listening to the waves at night is worth whatever it may cost! I'm also thrilled about the full moon we're lucky enough to have.

Obviously, my vote is for the balcony. Whichever you choose have a wonderful cruise!!!

Happy Sails!

Romy:)

• 2 weeks later...
Your "first" cruise will always be your "best" cruise. Relax and enjoy EVERY minute of it:)

I agree...the fresh air and the sound of the ocean is the best part of cruising. The balcony... morning, noon and night. Heaven!

I really do not care about the ports. I dislike "tours" but will get off of the ship if I can tour on my own.

Give me the ship and my balcony (and butler and concierge);)

We cruise less to enjoy the balcony more;)

Please come back and post your first cruising experience.

Have a wonderful "first" cruise:)

Thanks for the wish of good luck, Cosmopolitan :) I'm certain we'll enjoy!

Archived