Best area of London to stay

can786

I am looking to book a hotel for three nights pre cruise next August. I'm a little confused regarding the best area of London that would be central to most of the major sites. We don't mind taking the tube or the hop-on/hop-off bus. Any suggestions?

I am looking to book a hotel for three nights pre cruise next August. I'm a little confused regarding the best area of London that would be central to most of the major sites. We don't mind taking the tube or the hop-on/hop-off bus. Any suggestions?

Do a search on this board as there is a wealth of info here re London..I think people each have their own fav area to stay in in London,and there are certainly a few that would qualify as being central and or walkable toa lot of sights. I like Buckingham Palace Road,some like Victoria ste. area,some likethe area near the Eye,and on and on.If you can't find inof here then do post any question you may have.

Within the Circle Line most sites are quick to get to by tube.

Do remember that the London Underground map is a schematic version of London (based on a 1930s wiring diagrams( and therefore 2 stations on different lines that appear near are in fact quite a walk and 2 stations on different lines that appear far are in fact near each other.

If you can give an indicaton of what sites you want to tick off, then I'll reccommend a district for you to hole up in. In dry weather London is best seen on foot (or on top of an open-deck bus)

My favorite is in Kensington/Notting Hill. It's quieter with less tourists walking around than say the area around Covent Garden and Victoria Station.

If you want to stay central then Piccadilly Circus is good, but more expensive. Grab a good guidebook or do research.

When looking for hotels in a neighborhood I like to use Venere.com (London = http://en.venere.com/hotels_london/?ref=9115#o=default&r=0&m=0&f=C000300000000000&sb=1&ms=1) because it organizes hotels by neighborhood (and price and rating). And, as always, always read the reviews on TripAdvisor.com before booking (and when you book also look at the rates offered on the hotel's website. It's usually cheaper).

There are a few Londoners on this board and they can tell you a lot more than I can...

But, as someone who's visited a few times, here are my thoughts...

I've usually stayed near Victoria Station and found it convenient...

One visit I stayed up in Paddington (Best Western Paddington Court) because it would have been convenient to Paddington Station and the train to Heathrow...Turns out later, I rented a car anyway (really for spending a week touring the rest of Britain--while in London I merely left it in a garage the whole time and took subways and taxis)...It turned out not to be nearly as convenient as the Victoria Station area...and I hated the hotel--NO air conditioning during the hottest week in August...Anyway, end of that...

Last couple of visits, I opted to go back to the Victoria Station area and stayed at the Rubens at the Palace (on Buckingham Palace Road)...great little hotel and very convenient...Really picked it to be close to the transfers from Celebrity for our cruise out of Dover--which go from the Victoria Coach Station...but it also was walking distance to Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Harrod's...and, of course, Buckingham Palace is right across the street...

I would have been staying there again next August, post-cruise, but the rates are up to 169 GBP per night for a standard double...

So, instead, for 95 GBP, I've booked the brand new Park Plaza County Hall--across the river from Parliament, so, it still should be fairly convenient...saving a bit of money in an expensive hotel town this way...

Good luck...

Thanks for the help form everyone. My DH is an architect, so he is happy just walking around looking at buildings all day long and boring the rest of us to death! We usually let him go off on his own! I figure the kids (15 and 18 y/o sons) will want to see the Tower of London, Madame Tussauds, London Eye, etc. I just wasn't sure which area was the most convenient.

Thanks for the help form everyone. My DH is an architect, so he is happy just walking around looking at buildings all day long and boring the rest of us to death! We usually let him go off on his own! I figure the kids (15 and 18 y/o sons) will want to see the Tower of London, Madame Tussauds, London Eye, etc. I just wasn't sure which area was the most convenient.

You know check out the Cumberland Hotel..it is right on/off Oxford Street across from Marble Arch and you can get any place on the underground right by the hotel.The rooms are smallish,but IMHO a great location especially with teens,and shopping is right ere as well,and plenty of places to eat.I highly suggest for the 3 of you to do the Hop/on Hop/off bus tour as it is great way to see London and I bet the teens will love sitting on top of the double decker bus.Hubby can start right in the area as well just looking at all the buildings!!Have fun.Also, they might like going to Camden Town as well.

London is quite spread out so finding a Hotel close to a tube station is a good idea. Your husband might find he is worn out if he walks to all the buildings of architectural interest in London...there are so many.

All the areas already mentioned will be good. Although I would not choose Paddington as it is not very central.

Knightsbridge, Kensington and Park Lane are excellent areas but quite expensive, The Strand is also good, can walk to Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square, Westminster, The Mall and The Palace.

If you found some hotel names I am sure there are many here who may have stayed there and can advise you. As my Mother lives there I have never actually stayed in a Hotel so can only tell you what the area is like.

Have a great time in London.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St James Place. We were able to wolk a lot of places. We were only a few blocks from Buckingham Palace. It was nice to walk there early in the morning before we had to leave for the ship. We were able to walk to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye.

First question:

How many people? Room requirements.

Second question:

When are you going? Be specific as to dates. Week to week in August can vary greatly.

Third question:

What's your budget?

Requirements:

4 people, two rooms (one for DH and myself, one for 16 and 19y/o sons), one MUST have twin beds as my boys will not share a bed. Also prefer A/C in rooms.

Check in August 3rd and check out August 6th

Prefer to spend under $300 per room per night. If I have to spend more than that I might as well book the Princess hotel package, which isn't looking too bad with the exchange rate as bad as it is.

Requirements:

4 people, two rooms (one for DH and myself, one for 16 and 19y/o sons), one MUST have twin beds as my boys will not share a bed. Also prefer A/C in rooms.

Check in August 3rd and check out August 6th

Prefer to spend under $300 per room per night. If I have to spend more than that I might as well book the Princess hotel package, which isn't looking too bad with the exchange rate as bad as it is.

Have you looked at Hilton, in London there are about 10 of then with varying rates. If you ask for the deals you will beat $300, especially if you pay upfront with no cancellation allowed.

We use them all the time through SAGA. As an example 2 nights B&B with dinner on the first night in Southampton £66 per room per night, ie $132 per room per night. Now London is more expensive, but well within the $300.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Try the London Marriot at County Hall.

It is right by the London Eye and overlooks Big Ben, it is on the South side of the River but very central.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lonch-london-marriott-hotel-county-hall

The hotel is in County Hall that used to be the building that housed the GLC ( Greater London Council).

I think the rooms would be around about your budget

Sorry I meant to add that County Hall is a listed building (protected).

I am sure your husband would find it most interesting.

Further along the River you will find the Mayors new building, that kind of replaced County Hall (long story) http://www.london.gov.uk/gla/city_hall/index.jsp

that I think your husband as an architect would also find interesting.

Cathy,

Again, since it may have gotten a little lost in the thread...

Take a good look at the new Park Plaza County Hall:

http://www.parkplazacountyhall.com/

We'll be there almost the same dates (We're there August 2-5)...

The hotel is brand new (actually hasn't even opened yet) so the air conditioning is bound to be good (One of our prime considerations)...

It's not in the historic County Hall building like the Marriott...It's brand new construction nearby...

Park Plaza is owned by Radisson (Carlson)...

The location is right near the London Eye and fairly convenient from all we can tell...

And it's only 95 GBP per night--at today's rates about $193...Remember also that there's a 17.5% tax rate in London...so add about another $34 a night...but you would still be well under your $300 per night budget...

I do not know what they offer for rooms re the triple or family room,but the price for 2 rooms seems reasonable.I don't think it has AC either. It used to be the favorite a fews years ago of some of the old aol members going to London,and people used to say it was a hidden gem when prices started going up. I have not stayed there,but remember the postings.Here is a link..

Euro Hotel, 53 Cartwright Gardens, London, WC1H 9EL

Cathy,

Again, since it may have gotten a little lost in the thread...

Take a good look at the new Park Plaza County Hall:

http://www.parkplazacountyhall.com/

We'll be there almost the same dates (We're there August 2-5)...

The hotel is brand new (actually hasn't even opened yet) so the air conditioning is bound to be good (One of our prime considerations)...

It's not in the historic County Hall building like the Marriott...It's brand new construction nearby...

Park Plaza is owned by Radisson (Carlson)...

The location is right near the London Eye and fairly convenient from all we can tell...

And it's only 95 GBP per night--at today's rates about $193...Remember also that there's a 17.5% tax rate in London...so add about another $34 a night...but you would still be well under your $300 per night budget...

17.5% vat should be included in the room rate of a UK website. Watch out for US websites that do not include the VAT. 17.5% is a significant amount.

• 2 weeks later...
Bruin Steve- How Did You Get That Good Rate For Park Plaza, Everywhere I Have Checked It Is Alot More.

Any Input Would Be Appreciated.

Sherree,

I got it directly from the Park Plaza website...and the rate is still up...at least for my dates...

I guess it depends on when you're going...I arbitrarily popped in the dates June 7-10...and for those dates, there's an average rate of 139 GBP.

Like with most hotels in most places, demand may be higher for certain times of year or days of the week, so the rates can be very variable...

Good luck...

We just returned from a WB TA in Sep't and spent 2 nights pre-cruise in London at the Kensington Hilton.

As others have said, very nice & pretty area. The hotel was fine in terms of cleanliness, rate (Priceline for $99 USD per night) and service BUT....IMO, we were just too far from the main attractions and since we were 1st timers to London, that is what we wanted to see & do.

Taking a cab to the "Eye area" was 20 pounds each way--$80 rnd trip USD! The 1 time we took the tube, we had to walk up & down so many stairs, transfer stations, managed to hit it during "rush" hour & it was packed but we DID make it after 30+ minutes. I'd definitely do a little more research next time on timing!:p

My recommendation for anyone wanting to see the "main" attractions is stay down where Bruin Steve & others are recommending!!!

The Hilton was great, it was the location that I objected to on this sight-seeing trip!:D

Our favorite place to stay is in the Covent Garden area. We both love theater and we order tickets from home if we think the show may be sold out...tickets at discount from the theaters if long runs....There always seems to be a lot going on and we love the energy of the place....

Since we rent a flat for a week, I don't have a specific hotel to recommend directly in Covent Gardens.

When we do stay for just a couple of days, we stay at Royal Horseguards Thistle...not too expensive and right on the Thames.....love the view at night...or anytime and it's easy to get to the bus or tube stations from there.

Enjoy...whatever you do...

murphysmum;)

We stayed in Mayfair (Chesterfield Mayfair - which is a gorgeous boutique hotel) near Shepards Market. You could walk everywhere and was central to most everything. Green Park tube was 2 minute walk for anything further away.

Shepards market had great pubs and at least 20 different restaurants that all had excellent food. The Red Lion on Charles Street had the best fish and chips and believe me we tried it everywhere, everyday for a week and none was better.

Next trip to London we are going straight back there!!!

Just got back from London, and we stayed at Jury's Gt Russell St Hotel .... booked through londontown.com. It was in a great location ... down the street from the British Museum, the hop-on, hop-off bus, the tube, Chinatown, Soho .... can't recommend it enough. Rooms were fine, we paid under 200 I believe.

Give it a look!

Archived