Any Favorite Hotel in Bangkok

bogie113

I would appreciate your sharing your Bangkok hotel experiences.

We are considering the Peninsula and the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I know the Peninsula is on the other side of the River and has a great view, and that the Sheraton is in the Sukhumvit Area.

We will have only two days there so we want to see as much as we can squeeze in. Which do you suggest from getting around to see stuff standpoint?

Thanks a bunch

Marsha

The Peninsula is amazing. For a 5 star hotel, the prices are fairly reasonable. Also if you stay there, make a spa appointment, its brand new and fabulous. You won't be dissappointed.

They have free boat taxi's across the river. For a luxury hotels/resorts I recommend http://www.flyertalk.com click on luxury hotels. Also check out Conde Nast travelers "Gold List" - the Pen is highly rated.

The Pen also has an optional helicopter charter to/from the airport if your flying out.

I have been to Bangkok several times and like the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Nicely situated on the banks of the river (all rooms have river view) and is next to the Oriental. It is quite reasonably priced, close to a shopping centre and a good base for getting around a busy sprawling city.

Having visited Bangkok many, many times I also recommend the Peninsula. Its a delight travelling accross the river on their continuous running boat and to walk through their lovely lounge on the city side. Their boat also takes you to the sky train station or River City Shopping Centre. Easy to get anywhere and remember taxis are very cheap and good in Bangkok. Just make sure the meter is turned on.

After a hectic day of sight seeing and shopping it is wonderful to get on their boat for the few minutes it takes you to return to the hotel and the views cannot be beaten. Enjoy this great city.

Another vote for the Peninsula. I too thought I would dislike being across the river. But, the Peninsula is fabulous. My favorite hotel ever. Traffic in Bangkok is horrendous. So, if you can avoid it, do. We only traveled by foot, the skytrain and on the river. We loved the fact that everytime you went to get in the Peninsula's little boats constantly ferrying people across the river that the guys that work the dock and the boats would ask where you were going and then give out written addresses, maps, tell you how to take the skytrain or what you should expect in cab fare, which water taxi to catch and how, etc. They could not have been more friendly or helpful. We were a little worried about going out in the city on our own at first, but after the first little boat trip across we were completely at ease. We were pretty sure where and how we were going each time, but they just reinforced our confidence.

Debbie

I have stayed at both the Peninsula and the Shangrila. Both are fine properties but I felt that the Peninsula was an Ultra-Luxury experience. I had reserved the Peninsula for the beginning of a Thai land based vacation - I reserved a standard room with balcony. When checking in we were offered an upgrade to a 1 bedroom 1.5 bath suite for some nominal amount of $50/per night AND it included made to order breakfast brought to the dining room in the suite every morning. The Suite we had included all the latest in electronics - stereo, cd/dvd etc plus a flat screen TV above the bathtub and speaker phone. At the completion of our trip we stayed at the Shangrila and were offered an upgrade as well - I believe about $40 and we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite as well, and their concierge level - it was quite nice - just not as luxurious as the Peninsula. Both are fine properties.

Archived