Newport, Ri -- What's To Do Without Taking A Ship's Tour

Maraprince

Anyone have some suggestions on what to do in Newport,RI without taking a ship's tour?

What is available in the way of local transportation or tours?

We will arrive in Newport on 10/24/07 around 8AM but will have to tender in and back.

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

Anyone have some suggestions on what to do in Newport,RI without taking a ship's tour?

I can't tell you about transportation within Newport, but it is plenty easy to do a tour of the Breakers or any of the other many house-museums on your own with the time the ship allows you and without their mark-up. It's likely too far to walk, but I'd be shocked if there weren't tourist trolley or taxi options from the pier.

If you like tennis, the Tennis Hall of Fame is amazing and you can get transportation from the Gateway Visitors Center. From Gateway Parking, take RIPTA trolley #67 (yellow line) to the front door of the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The trolley runs every 20 minutes.

You can walk to the Gateway Visitors Center - many other tours leave from there for the mansions, etc. It will be on the same side as the dock. Facing the town from the dock, walk to your left a couple of blocks. You can't miss it - its very big with many buses parked on the side. Here is the page with the tours - many, many choices:

http://www.gonewport.com/nav.aspx?id=151

Here is main Newport tourism website:

//www.gonewport.com/contact/contact1.htm

If you like sailing, you could arrange in advance for a sail - they leave from Bowen's wharf. We have been on both the Madeleine and with Sightsailing:

http://www.gonewport.com/nav.aspx?id=198

If you are a nature buff, you could rent a car, buy a picnic lunch (Panera's is right across the street from the dock) and drive across the Newport Bridge to Beavertail State Park in Jamestown. It is a beautiful park on a rocky peninsula with views of Newport and the Narragansett Bay. My favorite place in RI.

Enjoy your visit to Newport - I know you will love it!

Archived