All things Monarch of the Seas

When we got off the ship yesterday they had tables setup in the terminal with all the booze they confiscated pre-cruise and you could stop by and pick it up. It looked like there were three tables full. They also did not deliver booze to your stateroom on Sunday night, you had to go to the jewelry store on Monday morning to pick it up.

I was just wondering what is "ok" to wear the first night in the dining room. I usually never wear jeans into the dining room... and NEVER shorts, but what do you see a lot of on the first night? Will they turn you away if you are in jeans? Or should we really change into something a little nicer? We are meeting up with some friends on this cruise, and would prefer to just worry about catching up with them instead of going back to the room and changing... What are all your thoughts??

Thanks!

Hi all, been lurking out there for awhile - Great thread!! We wanted to book one last trip on Monarch before she leaves LA - also need one more sail to reach platinum. Anyway, we booked the 3 night 6/13 sailing - couldn't pass up the resident pricing for an OV. I wonder if Friday the 13th has anything to do with the pricing:eek:

Hope some of you might consider this sailing. If anyone else is booked on this sailing, come join us on the roll call.

Love this thread!

I was wondering what the cell phone service was like from the Monarch on the 3-night to Ensenada. I have Cingular/AT&T and am wondering if I'll be able to keep in touch with Grandma (watching the kiddos) at home while we're gone... I have free long-distance but no international plan. I've only cruised twice - once to the Eastern Caribbean (had service in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten and no long-distance or roaming charges) and once to the Bahamas (where I got my lips ripped off for just a few minutes of cell phone time!).

Thanks!

Love this thread!

I was wondering what the cell phone service was like from the Monarch on the 3-night to Ensenada. I have Cingular/AT&T and am wondering if I'll be able to keep in touch with Grandma (watching the kiddos) at home while we're gone... I have free long-distance but no international plan. I've only cruised twice - once to the Eastern Caribbean (had service in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten and no long-distance or roaming charges) and once to the Bahamas (where I got my lips ripped off for just a few minutes of cell phone time!).

Thanks!

Very good question OnlineMom. I am interested in hearing the responses. I have Sprint and I am not sure how well they work down there...not that I really care what everyone else is doing while I'm cruising!! Hehe :p

Does anyone know if RCI will be moving a different ship to the LA to Ensenada route? We've been making this a bi-annual trip for a group of girlfriends, just got back on Monday, and are looking forward to going again in 2 years.

Does anyone know if RCI will be moving a different ship to the LA to Ensenada route? We've been making this a bi-annual trip for a group of girlfriends, just got back on Monday, and are looking forward to going again in 2 years.

If they are, it won't be until at least 2010/2011. We love doing the three-night around Halloween -- this year we are going in early October because of the route switch.

Love this thread!

Thanks!

The cell signal is fine, but I believe the ATT at sea rate is something like $2.49 a minute. You may want to check into texting, it may be cheaper.

Ok, just booked the Monarch 6/13 sailing today. In talking with TA, she's heard it'll be the Majesty coming to take the Monarch's place, but that's just a rumor.

Ok, just booked the Monarch 6/13 sailing today. In talking with TA, she's heard it'll be the Majesty coming to take the Monarch's place, but that's just a rumor.

I don't think that that's a viable rumor.

I heard a much more reliable sounding rumor. :D

All three Sovereign class ships are headed to Pullmantur, the European line that RC bought.

First Sovereign in October '08, then Monarch (probably in '09), then Majesty ('10).

Can we 'hope' that it is a Radiance class ship? :D

I think that you are going to have a problem "wishing for" a Radiance class ship, IF what you want is the return of 3 & 4 day cruises.

I don't think that RC wants their Radiance class vessels beat up like that. To my mind, a Vision class is more likely.

JMO, of course. YMMV.

:)

Very good question OnlineMom. I am interested in hearing the responses. I have Sprint and I am not sure how well they work down there...not that I really care what everyone else is doing while I'm cruising!! Hehe :p

I have Sprint. You will get a text message when in Int'l waters telling you to dial 011 ???? to place a call to the US. However, you need to contact Sprint first to make sure you have International calling.

While out at sea on Sun, I tried to call home and kept getting dropped calls, at over $3.00/minute. So, therefore, cannot really recommend the service, but I guess in an emergency, it would be worth it!

Debbi

The Cellular at Sea rate is $2.49 for AT&T users. I think Mexico is .99/minute. If you're going to talk for awhile, you might want to pay the $5.99 for a month of World Traveller, then cancel when you get home.

Hi all the Monarch experts. We have booked our first cruise for 04/09 on Monarch to the bahamas. We have JS 1548 booked. We are traveling w/o kids and wanted something mid ship (since we don't know how we will be with the rocking). My concern is that this cabin is next to the RS. Does the RS tend to be noisier (with more folks in it)? Anything else you all can tell me about Monarch is greatly appreciated. TIA

The RS (Royal Suite) is 1010, all the way forward. You're next to the RFS (Royal Family Suite). If there are noisy people there, you'll hear them through the walls, but that's true of any cabin - we had really noisy neighbors on the 4/18 cruise, and there were only 2 of them. Fortunately they went to bed earlier than we did. :-)

As for replacement rumors, there's a new one every month and none has come to pass yet, so I'll keep hoping for a Vision class (I'm with MM, don't think RCI wants its prettiest ships trashed) to come to LA sooner rather than later.

I think that you are going to have a problem "wishing for" a Radiance class ship, IF what you want is the return of 3 & 4 day cruises.

I don't think that RC wants their Radiance class vessels beat up like that. To my mind, a Vision class is more likely.

JMO, of course. YMMV.

:)

Well... ANY ship is better than NO ship! :p

I don't think that that's a viable rumor.

I heard a much more reliable sounding rumor. :D

All three Sovereign class ships are headed to Pullmantur, the European line that RC bought.

First Sovereign in October '08, then Monarch (probably in '09), then Majesty ('10).

So... do you think they are going to refit these to become part of the Azamara line? Isn't that what they did to the other Pullmantur ships? I would love to see a Vision class come to the West... I would also love to see a Mexican Riv that didn't include Cabo... but that is a high hope too!:o

make your own pizzeria?

Can anyone elaborate on that? Did a search but didn't find any info on this!

thanks!

Do you mean "make your own pizza"? I would think that making your own pizzeria would involve a lot of construction and materials and noise and.............. ;) :D

I don't know anything about pizza on the Monarch......

Jean?

yes! that's what I meant! Here's what it says on RCI's page when you click on the Monarch of the Seas link:

Be one of the first to experience the recent stem-to-stern renovation of Monarch of the Seas. Departing from L.A. year-round, this remarkable 2,744-guest cruise ship sets sail for the ultimate Baja cruise vacation. In addition to the spectacular on-shore excitement, you'll enjoy Monarch's state-of-the-art features, like the new, oversized spa and fitness center, specialty Asian-fusion cuisine at Jade, a make-your-own pizzeria, and, of course, Royal Caribbean's signature rock-climbing wall.

yes! that's what I meant! Here's what it says on RCI's page when you click on the Monarch of the Seas link:

Be one of the first to experience the recent stem-to-stern renovation of Monarch of the Seas. Departing from L.A. year-round, this remarkable 2,744-guest cruise ship sets sail for the ultimate Baja cruise vacation. In addition to the spectacular on-shore excitement, you'll enjoy Monarch's state-of-the-art features, like the new, oversized spa and fitness center, specialty Asian-fusion cuisine at Jade, a make-your-own pizzeria, and, of course, Royal Caribbean's signature rock-climbing wall.

Well, that's just nonsense. The last renovation of Monarch was in 2004, as I recall, so it's hardly recent any more. If they ever had a make your own pizzeria it is now just Sorrento's which serves mediocre stuff. It's ok if you get it hot out of the oven, but quickly becomes a soggy mess. The fitness center is a good one, though, at least they got that right.

Spectacular on-shore excitement. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

Well, that's just nonsense. The last renovation of Monarch was in 2004, as I recall, so it's hardly recent any more. If they ever had a make your own pizzeria it is now just Sorrento's which serves mediocre stuff. It's ok if you get it hot out of the oven, but quickly becomes a soggy mess. The fitness center is a good one, though, at least they got that right.

Spectacular on-shore excitement. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

LOL! Ever consider a career in Public Relations, Jean? ;)

Maybe "make your own pizza" means that you get to say, "Hey, leave it plain." or "Hey, stick some pepperoni on that." :rolleyes:

(I confess to never having stepped foot in Sorrento's on the Monarch. It was decent although not fabulous on the Sovereign.)

Archived