All things Monarch of the Seas

I agree with Celia on cabin choice. I prefer 1088 in LA because you get the shade during muster drill. But you're also docked facing away from the town of Ensenada so you miss the running of the drunks during sailaway. Neither is necessarily relevant to you.

1084, 1086, 1584 and 1586 (as well as 1088 and 1588) all have what I consider to be an advantage of getting more light, too - the big overhang from the Windjammer ends at 1082, so you only have coverage to the end of your balcony, as opposed to another 6 feet out. It makes both the balcony and the cabin more pleasant IMHO.

It can be really noisy above, though, as the thundering herds pass by. And in the morning in 1088 we've heard some loud thumps as the crew pulls out heavy equipment. But we've stayed all the way forward and had Windjammer noise and midships with noise and foot traffic, too. There's just no getting away from it.

We are leaving tomorrow for our Monarch cruise and are in a Grand Suite. My DH had knee surgery recently and still ices his knee when it swells up, especially after walking a while. He has one of those packs that he puts in the freezer and then it fits into a sleeve that wraps around his knee. So, does anyone know for sure if there is a small freezer in the top on the fridge in our cabin? He says he will find another way to work around it if there is not. I suggested he just keep it in a bucket of ice.

I need an answer ASAP, please. ;)

Kruisin': I've had knee ailments on and off when cruising. The cabins that have a "fridge" in the room are really not designed for keeping things frozen. What I have done on many occasions, is to ask the room steward to take the ice packs and have them frozen in the refrigerator, and then, when I needed them, I would ask for them to be brought to the cabin. I used them in the early morning hours and again in the evening. Hope this helps.

You can also ask to have a real "small frig" brought to your room, but they are often loud and make lots of noise. :eek:

We are looking at taking the Monarch next year. We would like to book a Junior Suite. We notice that they are either under Windjammer or the pool area. Can anyone tell me what the noise level would be for these? Currently the cabins listed by RCCL's website (1048, 1050, 1546, 1548, 1550, but there may be more not listed) are the ones nearest the elevator. Any input on which cabins are quietest or have better views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Erika

Birdylady: My favorite JS is 1088 or 1588. It is at the end of the hallway, but most often is much quieter and doesn't seem to have as much noise from above.

I guess my one concern, sailing out of Port Canaveral, you'll be in mostly warm/hot climates and the pool will be used a lot more. In LA and the Mexican Riviera area, it is hot during the summer months, but it cools down considerably from October through June.

I didn't sail on the Monarch much during the summer months, so that would be something that should be considered as you choose a cabin. Since the cruise is only 3 or 4 nights, I wouldn't really worry too much. Be prepared, though. The JS's on the Monarch are not as large as some of the other ships in the RCCL fleet!

I agree with Celia on cabin choice. I prefer 1088 in LA because you get the shade during muster drill. But you're also docked facing away from the town of Ensenada so you miss the running of the drunks during sailaway. Neither is necessarily relevant to you.

1084, 1086, 1584 and 1586 (as well as 1088 and 1588) all have what I consider to be an advantage of getting more light, too - the big overhang from the Windjammer ends at 1082, so you only have coverage to the end of your balcony, as opposed to another 6 feet out. It makes both the balcony and the cabin more pleasant IMHO.

It can be really noisy above, though, as the thundering herds pass by. And in the morning in 1088 we've heard some loud thumps as the crew pulls out heavy equipment. But we've stayed all the way forward and had Windjammer noise and midships with noise and foot traffic, too. There's just no getting away from it.

I never thought that I would have an opinion about this, but....................

I just got off the Majesty, a B2B. We had to change cabins. (a nightmare)

First half: 1088

Second half: 1552

1088 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay quieter!

I never heard ANYTHING from above. Only one cabin next to it, so no noise from neighbors, either.

JM (never H) O.

:)

We are leaving tomorrow for our Monarch cruise and are in a Grand Suite. My DH had knee surgery recently and still ices his knee when it swells up' date=' especially after walking a while. He has one of those packs that he puts in the freezer and then it fits into a sleeve that wraps around his knee. So, does anyone know for sure if there is a small freezer in the top on the fridge in our cabin? He says he will find another way to work around it if there is not. I suggested he just keep it in a bucket of ice.

I need an answer ASAP, please. ;)[/quote']

Not really. Do what Celia said. And see you onboard! We're meeting in the Schooner Bar around 3.:D

Hi Everyone! We just booked our Monarch cruise for the WOW sale. We are on the 8/24/09 4 night Nassau trip in cabin 8058. I am excited since I have heard such great things about this ship. I have 2 kids (11 & 8 at cruise time) what is there for them to do onboard? How are the pools? Any info would be great since I feel rather in the dark about this ship.

We too just booked on the WOW sale for the 5/18/09 sailing on the Monarch. I know it's not the Mariner (the only ship we've sailed so far) so it should be interesting to see the differences.

Can anyone share if they have a Chops, Portifinos or Johnny Rockets on board. It doesn't appear so according to what I've read.

Like CruisinEars, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions and info people care to share.

Thanx,

Erika

We too just booked on the WOW sale for the 5/18/09 sailing on the Monarch. I know it's not the Mariner (the only ship we've sailed so far) so it should be interesting to see the differences.

Can anyone share if they have a Chops, Portifinos or Johnny Rockets on board. It doesn't appear so according to what I've read.

Like CruisinEars, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions and info people care to share.

Thanx,

Erika

No. None of those alternate dining venues are available on the Monarch (no Promenade Cafe either for that matter). Presently the Monarch does have a sushi bar (Jade) that has a very limited menu and is an extra charge; you don't always need reservations though. Not sure if they'll be switching this out to something else during drydock - sushi is more of a west coast thing. There's also a pizza counter called Sorrento's, but it only has pre-baked slices and they really weren't very good. The Lattitudes Cafe serves specialty coffee ($$) and Ben & Jerry's has ice cream ($$). Both of these are counters in the shopping area.

The Monarch is not only "not the Mariner", it is WAY not the Mariner. That isn't to imply that there's anything wrong with it, but I encourage you to do LOTS of research to line your expectations up right, especially if you're taking young people with you who are accustomed to all the activities on the Voyager-class.

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S.

What has always set the Monarch apart is her crew; so happy, friendly and hospitable. They recently received RCCL's internal designation as "the best crew at sea". Many of those I talked to (Sept. 22-26) though are NOT going with the ship to Florida; they loved the Baja run and are not happy about the re-deployment.

(no Promenade Cafe either for that matter).

I know on the Mariner you can get something at the Promenade Cafe at all hours. This came in handy if you were hungry during the misc hours that WJ is closed. Is there some place that offers choices like the Promenade Cafe does for times like that?

(Many of those I talked to (Sept. 22-26) though are NOT going with the ship to Florida; they loved the Baja run and are not happy about the re-deployment.

Hopefully some will stay and 'train' their replacements. Granted, if some are from Mariner cause they didn't want to go West, then maybe that will help. :)

The Monarch is not only "not the Mariner", it is WAY not the Mariner. That isn't to imply that there's anything wrong with it, but I encourage you to do LOTS of research to line your expectations up right.....

We have done as much research as we could and based on our schedule and such, this really was our only choice. Keeping happy thoughts.

Thanx,

Erika

I know on the Mariner you can get something at the Promenade Cafe at all hours. This came in handy if you were hungry during the misc hours that WJ is closed. Is there some place that offers choices like the Promenade Cafe does for times like that?

No. Room service only and I'm sorry to report that the menu is limited and the quality was pretty poor last week.

Hopefully some will stay and 'train' their replacements. Granted, if some are from Mariner cause they didn't want to go West, then maybe that will help. :)

I'm sure it won't be a crisis. I only talked to a "handfull" about it (about 20). Some were looking to be assigned to the Mariner and a couple were just quitting.

We have done as much research as we could and based on our schedule and such, this really was our only choice. Keeping happy thoughts.

Go and have a great time! Spend lots of time doing active things in port and maybe you won't miss ice skating, roller blading, golf, etc. As many here say "a bad day cruising is better than a good day at work..."

Thanx,

Erika

Happy Sails,

Annette

I think many may be from Sovereign, Monarch's sister ship who is going to Pullmantur this fall. Every time I board, another of my crew acquaintances has signed off. As Annette said, some are leaving the fleet altogether, while others are signing on to other ships. I think there will be enough left onboard to train the newbies to Monarch's high standards!

I agree with Jean. I think many of the sister ship's crew will be moving over to the Monarch. Of course, Monarch is a training ship, and in that capacity, she'll continually have new hires and re-trainees.

Monarch is not the Mariner, but then again, the Mariner is not the Monarch! What this ship does so well is provide a 3 and 4-night cruise, competitively priced for many folks that just don't have the time (or possibly the money) to cruise for a longer period of time.

She is used in this capacity since she is one of the older ships. She is clean, with a little bit of wear and tear, but comfortable. We have noticed that the crew is really cleaning up the ship, replacing carpeting, polishing, adding new TV's in the JS category and I'm sure there will be some more improvements as she moves through the Panama Canal.

What makes her so special is the CREW! Even with changing crew, you'll find this ship to be fun and enjoyable. The Monarch still has an Adventure Ocean Program, many activities that the kids can participate in every day, and the pizza will keep them happy in the food department!

When you board the Monarch, just be ready NOT to compare her to other RCI ships. She's one of a kind. Personally, I'm going to miss the heck out of her when she leaves the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro!

...... adding new TV's in the JS category and I'm sure there will be some more improvements as she moves through the Panama Canal.

Always good news. Not that we spend much time watching tv on the ship, but still.....

Keep the great news coming. I've got 7 months(argh, that's long) to keep up my excitement.

Erika

What makes her so special is the CREW!

When you board the Monarch, just be ready NOT to compare her to other RCI ships. She's one of a kind. AMEN sister Celia Personally, I'm going to miss the heck out of her when she leaves the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro!

Like Celia mentioned the Monarch will indeed be missed, by thousands of west coasters. I'm positive I will have tears running down my cheeks when we sail away from Ensenada on October 16th for the last time, as well as when I disembark on the 17th :(

She is a very special ship and one of a dwindling era. My hope is that the beautiful Monarch of the Seas will continue to bring amazing times to all who are fortunate to cruise onboard her in the future.

We booked an inside guarantee for Dec..We were given cabin 2029.Never been this low before but we are really not that concerned with deck 2.Is there a reason to try to change this cabin or is it okay?Our only concern is noise.Thanks for all the great information.

Like Celia mentioned the Monarch will indeed be missed, by thousands of west coasters. I'm positive I will have tears running down my cheeks when we sail away from Ensenada on October 16th for the last time, as well as when I disembark on the 17th :(

Bring your own Kleenex. We'll be using up the ship's supplies on the 13th!:(

[quote name='birdylady']We are looking at taking the Monarch next year. We would like to book a Junior Suite. We notice that they are either under Windjammer or the pool area. Can anyone tell me what the noise level would be for these? Currently the cabins listed by RCCL's website (1048, 1050, 1546, 1548, 1550, but there may be more not listed) are the ones nearest the elevator. Any input on which cabins are quietest or have better views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Erika[/quote]
We had a JS on the Sovereign which is the Monach's sister ship. We were in cabin 1546 and it was a nice cabin but very noisy. We were awakened early in the morning by pool chairs being dragged across the deck. Allday long it sounded like people running and jumping.We loved the room though.

[quote name='birdylady']We are looking at taking the Monarch next year. We would like to book a Junior Suite. We notice that they are either under Windjammer or the pool area. Can anyone tell me what the noise level would be for these? Currently the cabins listed by RCCL's website (1048, 1050, 1546, 1548, 1550, but there may be more not listed) are the ones nearest the elevator. Any input on which cabins are quietest or have better views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Erika[/quote]
We had a JS on the Sovereign which is the Monach's sister ship. We were in cabin 1546 and it was a nice cabin but very noisy. We were awakened early in the morning by pool chairs being dragged across the deck. Allday long it sounded like people running and jumping.We loved the room though.

Archived