All things Monarch of the Seas

How "formal" is the formal night? I'm traveling with 2 children, 14 & 10. My daughter won't be a problem, she has plenty of sundresses, but I just have kahkis for my son. Does he have to wear them everynight?

No shorts are to be worn in the D.R. during dinner, but khaki's and a polo is acceptable. On formal night last week I seen everything from shorts to suits-no tux's, but for a boy so young, a polo should suffice, regardless of the crap you're probably going to hear on this forum as this is a sore spot for some. It's not worth stressing over.:rolleyes:

My family tends to eat later around 7ish.. I'm wondering if the 8:30 is too late to see the shows or if 6 is too early for our activities? any guidance is appreciated!

By the time you get your ordering done, appetizers eaten, it was usually about 645-700 before we received our main course. By the time we finished our desserts, it was usually 730-745. So with that in mind a similar time frame for the 830 dinner would have you finished by 1000 pm. That would be too late for my family, but is something you should consider when making your choice.

My 5 sisters and sister in-laws will be on the monarch Nov. 13th. I am the only one who has ever cruised before. All 5 cruises I've been on, I have stayed on deck 6 or higher. Sisters all wanted to go as cheap as possible so we will be in 2 cabins #2563 & 2565. They obviously have nothing to compare it to, so should be fine wherever we stay. I'm a little nervous being down so low and also in an interior room. (usually stay in a suite)

I know the rooms are much smaller, am totally fine with that. Just not sure how I feel about almost being "under the ocean"!!! Anybody have any insight or comments about cabins on deck 2? Would love any and all info...

If you are in the center you will be in one of the better places for people who get seasick. Think of it as a see-saw effect. The middle is not moving compared to the sides.

I'm not getting much help with this question in a separate thread, so I thought I'd try here as well.

We are looking forward to trying MTD on Monarch next week, but we also like to attend the shows.

Can someone who's sailed on Monarch (four-day) recently give me the times for the nightly shows, so we can make our dinner reservations accordingly?

I can't find a scanned Compass anywhere that's readable. If someone can point me to a readable copy of the Compasses, that would work , too.

Thanks!

We had MTD as well.

I was on her a couple of weeks ago for the 4 and the 3 day cruise. First night they only had one show. It was at 7:45. We ate at 6 and really was out quick. We had no trouble being in the Sound of Music by 7:00.

The 2nd night they did have 2 shows with Johnny Thunder. He is a headliner so he might not be there when you are on the ship. Those shows were 9:00 and 11:00. This night we ate at 7:15 and we saw the 9:00 show which was suppose to be for the early dining time.

The 3rd night it was one show again and it was at 7:45with El Gaucho.

Once again another headliner and he could be off now. We ate at 7:00 but did not go to the diningroom we went to Jade. I would suggest not to try Jade. We were not impressed. However, if you do go you can mention the ad and get a free bottle of sake.

The last night was Signed Sealed Delievered at 7:00 and 9:00. We ate at 7:15 and we went to the 9:00 show.

I highly suggest for you to make reservations early and not just show up to eat. We enjoyed eating alone and that was almost impossible to get if you did not reserve early. Doing a B2B we got to know the guy that handles the reservations well. Sorry I can not remember his name. He was awesome to us. There was one night we called to make reservations verses going down in person. Do not call, you have to leave a message and alot of times you can not get what you would like. He was great and gave us a table but I did see him make others wait for a while and they had to share a table.

How "formal" is the formal night? I'm traveling with 2 children, 14 & 10. My daughter won't be a problem, she has plenty of sundresses, but I just have kahkis for my son. Does he have to wear them everynight?

I am not a snob when it comes to formal night. However I normally dress but I saw a lot of people more casual. It really irked me to hear some of the comments I heard from the men (of all people). They were being formal night snobs. I wanted to tell them to get over it. Those people can make their own decisions about how they want to dress for formal night.

If it makes you feel better, I did see a couple of boys dressed on formal night with a really nice button down and long shorts on. They were brothers and they looked cute. They were pre-teen aged boys. One might have been 13 or tall for his age.

I also noticed that a lot of the younger girls to have on more casual dresses.

My family tends to eat later around 7ish.. I'm wondering if the 8:30 is too late to see the shows or if 6 is too early for our activities? any guidance is appreciated!

If you are use to eating later then you can go to the 7 oclock shows. Most do not last more than an hour. Or none of the ones we saw did. 8:30 would be a safe time to make your reservations. Or if you have the late seating that would be fine as well.

Even with the 9 and 11 shows you can always do the 11 oclock show.

No shorts are to be worn in the D.R. during dinner, but khaki's and a polo is acceptable. On formal night last week I seen everything from shorts to suits-no tux's, but for a boy so young, a polo should suffice, regardless of the crap you're probably going to hear on this forum as this is a sore spot for some. It's not worth stressing over.:rolleyes:

By the time you get your ordering done, appetizers eaten, it was usually about 645-700 before we received our main course. By the time we finished our desserts, it was usually 730-745. So with that in mind a similar time frame for the 830 dinner would have you finished by 1000 pm. That would be too late for my family, but is something you should consider when making your choice.

I was on a couple of weeks ago and I did not see them turn away the boys who wore shorts. The only time I saw anyone turned away was at breakfast in the diningroom or at the Windjammer if you were not dressed. You can not go in with tank tops for men or bathingsuits on.

We were normally out with MTD in an hour to hour and half max. A few nights we were later getting out due to Eva having a new person and some of those nights they even pulled him.

Hi everyone!

I just got off of the Monarch yesterday and I miss it!

I was wondering, can someone please post if there is a new Activities Manager? I heard from current CD, Jimmy Rhodes, that the current AM named John, will become a permanent CD at the end of this contract. Exactly when is that?

Anyway, I'm just extremely curious to see who gets the new position. The CD's staff on the Monarch is really great and there are about two people who seem to have just as much talent as the cruise directors I've seen out there. I'd like to see where they go :)

My 5 sisters and sister in-laws will be on the monarch Nov. 13th. I am the only one who has ever cruised before. All 5 cruises I've been on, I have stayed on deck 6 or higher. Sisters all wanted to go as cheap as possible so we will be in 2 cabins #2563 & 2565. They obviously have nothing to compare it to, so should be fine wherever we stay. I'm a little nervous being down so low and also in an interior room. (usually stay in a suite)

I know the rooms are much smaller, am totally fine with that. Just not sure how I feel about almost being "under the ocean"!!! Anybody have any insight or comments about cabins on deck 2? Would love any and all info...

We stayed in 2569 on Monarch back in November '08. It'll be fine. We felt little or no rocking, very little noise. It's an inside anyway, so you won't be able to tell if you're "under the ocean":D

Actually, I slept the best in this cabin.

A couple questions we are booked for Sept 21 have sailed on RC only one time a couple years ago does Monarch have the ship shape club with points for gifts? that was interesting last time.I've looked, am i correct no johnney rockets on this ship?The price was to good to pass up.Are there tables for 2 in dining room had one the last time.

A couple questions we are booked for Sept 21 have sailed on RC only one time a couple years ago does Monarch have the ship shape club with points for gifts? that was interesting last time.I've looked, am i correct no johnney rockets on this ship?The price was to good to pass up.Are there tables for 2 in dining room had one the last time.

There are indeed tables for two on the Monarch in the dining room. From what I saw, there weren't a lot but they're there! Of course, the dining room mostly has big tables but yeah.

And as far as I know, there wasn't a ship shape point thing. Usually they give those points/bucks out for rock climbing and bean bag toss activities too, right?

No JRs on the MN and no more ship shape/vitality credits for any activities!

and deck 2 is NOT under the water...heck, there are OVs on deck 2,so you know they are above the water line..

Aw, c'mon, PH. OCEANVIEW. You could have a really good view of the OCEAN from a porthole underwater, couldn't you? ;) :p :D

Hot tubs/Pools are 24/7..........unless they are closed down for cleaning............

They do have MTD and I LOVE it............

Its the standard selection of cakes/cookies/desserts in the Windjammer and dining room........Im not a big "sweets" person truthfully..........

You'll find ice cream in the dining room and at "tea time" in the WJ around 3pm...........(and of course, for sale at Ben and Jerrys on deck 5)

More questions, last cruise on rccl there was a basketball out on the court at all times is this still the case or does it have to be checked out?Same question about ping pong but we will probably bring our own equipment.Is there a midnight buffet at all?At breakfest is there corned beef hash?What time does breakfest start?I rise early

More questions, last cruise on rccl there was a basketball out on the court at all times is this still the case or does it have to be checked out?Same question about ping pong but we will probably bring our own equipment.Is there a midnight buffet at all?At breakfest is there corned beef hash?What time does breakfest start?I rise early
I think all these are dependent on the ship and it's policies. The ping pong, shuffle board and etc are usually found in a wall mounted locker next to the game. Early breakfast started at 6:30 on my last cruise and they had hash..... yum (as Rachel would say)

Archived