All things Monarch of the Seas

We did have our two bottles of wine taken from our checked bags (no flames please!) which was on a table in the pier terminal to take when we were leaving. My DH made the guards laugh by saying, "She made me smuggle! I didn't want to do it!!" (I wasn't laughing.:rolleyes: )

It is funny how much things have changed. Our first cruise was on the Monarch of the Seas out of San Juan Puerto Rico in 1997. There was a Baccardi store in the cruise terminal on your way to the ship and they were selling bottles of rum for a little over a dollar to take on the cruise.

That's what has been said. The Monarch will be transferred to Azmara, who is also owned by the RCI parent company.

I think the word is that Monarch will follow Empress and Sovereign to Pullmantur, not Azamara. Pullmantur is RCCL's Spanish subsidiary.

It is funny how much things have changed. Our first cruise was on the Monarch of the Seas out of San Juan Puerto Rico in 1997. There was a Baccardi store in the cruise terminal on your way to the ship and they were selling bottles of rum for a little over a dollar to take on the cruise.

This is exactly the funniest part of this saga! There is a souvenir type store right on the pier in Ensenada, which also sells beer, wine, alchohol. We bought two ok bottles of Chardonnay ($20 per) and walked right on board through security and xray machines...no problem! So why can't I bring my Edna Valley or Kendall Jackson? Edna and Kendall love to cruise! They have been on many a cruise with me and they are better company than the stuff they offer on the ship (IMHO):)

What's going on with the Monarch? Is it going somewhere? Is October its last sailing from LA to Mexico? What ship will take over the 3-day and 4-day trips to Mexico from LA?

It was announced several months ago that the Monarch is leaving LA :( If RCCL is going to replace her with another ship sailing from LA they are keeping it very, very quiet. Those of us who enjoy going on the 3 and 4 day boat rides out of LA on a RCCL ship are going through withdrawal!! We are booked on the last four day sailing on October 13. There are many on some of the other CC boards that are booked for the sail from LA to Florida on October 17.

I know there are many who keep saying there will not be a ship to replace the Monarch in LA. Personally, I cannot believe RCCL is willing to give up that market when the Monarch is totally full on most sailings. The four and five day out of San Diego on the Radiance of the Seas that begin in 2009 are not available all year.

Many are watching to see what will happen, and most are hoping for a replacement.

Just returned from the 4 nighter. Had a great time! Was very surprised to find no purell or hand wipes at any restaurants. Also was surprised to not have a repeaters "Crown and Anchor" party? Or was I just not notified of it do you think (the steward forgot a past passenger gift - tote bag)

Disembarkation was flawless and one of the best I've ever encountered. Parking was awesome at the port, and with them taking credit card it was painless too!

Quest was AWESOME - more fun than on Liberty I found. The food was good and I couldn't figure out which night was supposedly the 'icky' night. And I'm a picky eater! Comedian first night was very funny, missed second nights' show (impressionist) but he was AWFUL the final recap night. The 3rd night production show was good.

Finally, learned you can order diet sprite, tequila, and limes from the barstaff to make an "almost margarita" diet style! :)

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and say it was a good time!

Just returned from the 4 nighter. Had a great time! Was very surprised to find no purell or hand wipes at any restaurants. Also was surprised to not have a repeaters "Crown and Anchor" party? Or was I just not notified of it do you think (the steward forgot a past passenger gift - tote bag)

Disembarkation was flawless and one of the best I've ever encountered. Parking was awesome at the port, and with them taking credit card it was painless too!

Quest was AWESOME - more fun than on Liberty I found. The food was good and I couldn't figure out which night was supposedly the 'icky' night. And I'm a picky eater! Comedian first night was very funny, missed second nights' show (impressionist) but he was AWFUL the final recap night. The 3rd night production show was good.

Finally, learned you can order diet sprite, tequila, and limes from the barstaff to make an "almost margarita" diet style! :)

Anyway, just thought I'd check in and say it was a good time!

Glad to hear that you had fun! The only "repeaters" party on Monarch is a Platinum/Diamond party, a cocktail party about 4:30 on Catalina day on the 4-nighter and a Sunday morning (late) on the sea day on the 3-nighter. There isn't a standard repeater's party the way you find on the longer cruises. But the Captain throws a great party on formal night for everybody on the ship!

This is probably a stupid question but I am a first time cruiser so forgive me. My GF and I are going on Monarch of the Sea on Aug 1st and wanted to know if the pool/spa have specific hours of use or if they are open 24 hours a day. Thanks!

This is probably a stupid question but I am a first time cruiser so forgive me. My GF and I are going on Monarch of the Sea on Aug 1st and wanted to know if the pool/spa have specific hours of use or if they are open 24 hours a day. Thanks!

24/7...welcome to the world of cruising.

Has anyone had any trouble using their cell phones while on the ship in San Diego & Catalina (or in port in LA for that matter). I've read other posts about additional charges being incurred because the calls go thru the ships system rather than your own service provider (ours is Verizon). Just checking because I've got a teenager daughter that lives to text & would hate to have those additional charges!

Has anyone had any trouble using their cell phones while on the ship in San Diego & Catalina (or in port in LA for that matter). I've read other posts about additional charges being incurred because the calls go thru the ships system rather than your own service provider (ours is Verizon). Just checking because I've got a teenager daughter that lives to text & would hate to have those additional charges!

We were on the Monarch the end of May, we were charged roaming fees of 2.49 a minute. We also have verizon

The best way to ensure you are using your own cell phone carrier, and not hooking up to the ship's tower is use your phone once you are off the ship and few blocks from the ship. For our plan on Verizon, we do not incur charges for roaming. Check with your provider if this is true for you. If it is, your phone will acknowledge that you are "roaming" if you are using the ship's tower for your calls.

The ship's tower is supposed turned off while in port (so that people on shore won't accidentally hook up through that tower and pay the roaming charges), so the passengers who had the extra charges must have incurred them while the ship was still moving. My phone will tell me that I have "cellular at sea" service, so I keep it in airplane mode unless we're actually in port. I've called from the ship to shore when we were tendered in Catalina and had my usual AT&T service.

My husband and I were on the Monarch for the 3-night May 30-June 2. We didn't go to Catalina or San Diego but my cell phone (AT&T/Cinglar) worked fine in Ensenada and on the ship while we were both at port in San Pedro and cruising. I left my 7 and 8 year olds with Grandma and Papa and made a number of phone calls home to check on things. I just received my bill and noticed that (edited to add) the calls I made while outside of the United States/AT&T calling area were charged 99 cents/minute for roaming.

Archived