All things Monarch of the Seas

Due to the incredibly low prices and very low single supplement, I'm planning to go on Monarch on the 12/11/09 3 night sailing.

Been on 2 other RCL cruises in the past, but always with other people. Any suggestions about what to do about dining as a single guy?

I see that Monarch has My Time dining ... would you recommend that over traditional?

Any other tips for a single cruiser on Monarch? I've done a good bit of solo backpacking in Europe, so I'm not too worried about it, but any tips would be much appreciated!

Also, I will be staying at a hotel the night before departure as I am driving down from ATL. Any suggestions on a cheap hotel to stay at that includes a shuttle and free parking?

Thanks!

My time dining has taken off on Monarch. On our April cruise the MTD section was almost empty, now it is PACKED.

Several of the servers on this past cruise (just off it today) commented that they like MTD because they at least get consistent gratuities but admitted it is much harder work given the number of tables they have plus the constant turnover (as opposed to a singe seating twice a night). Food seemed very good but the service was a bit slow in MTD, or so it seemed. It wasn't for lack of effort, but they just seemed a bit overwhelmed in the MTD section.

The slower pace is good if you are in for a leisurely dinner, not so good if you need to be somewhere or have antsy kids dining with you!

Good point about MTD as a single traveler. Will probably do traditional.

I would probably rather do the later seating as there are fewer kids/families, possibly more singles, but if you do the later seating, are you done in time to see the shows? I typically like to go to most of the evening shows (even if they aren't always great, its a good time filler).

So, can you see the shows and do later dining or is it one or the other?

There are almost always two of the main shows each evening, one for the "main" seating (usually after dinner) and the other for the later seating (usually before the dinner). I.E. 9 PM for the earlier seating and around 7 for the late seating. Main seating is 545PM, late seating is 830 PM. If you want less kids, certainly the late seating is the way to go...

On one night there is just one show for both seatings, at the same time.

Thanks for the quick responses all.

One more question ... I arrive at MCO at 11:45 and depart MCO at 2:25. From the itinerary, it looks like there is plenty of time for airport transfers.

However it says that for the RCL airport transfers, I'm leaving too early. I thought the transport gets you to MCO at 12:30?

Any other cheap options for MCO to Port Canaveral?

i took this cruise in september, and had a flight arriving at the same time, and also took the rcl transfer from mco to the port. the timing was fine for everything. your return time should be quite fine also.

pricewise i don't know about anything cheaper.

kim

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Monarch today. The soft serve ice cream is BACK:):).

It's located on deck 12 opposite Sorrento's. Rather than a self serve mess, they have an attendant serving it. You can have a cone or a bowl.

Also, they are in the process of installing new carpet at all the high traffic areas.

I'd say RCCL is taking pretty good care of the old girl;)

Tom

Just off the Monarch today. The soft serve ice cream is BACK:):).

It's located on deck 12 opposite Sorrento's. Rather than a self serve mess, they have an attendant serving it. You can have a cone or a bowl.

Also, they are in the process of installing new carpet at all the high traffic areas.

I'd say RCCL is taking pretty good care of the old girl;)

Tom

They sure are. They were tearing up and replacing the carpet on Deck 9 elevator areas while we were on last weekend. Ship is still in great shape and we totally had a blast. they did a great job decorating the ship also.

Excellent choice! I have found decks 5 and 6 the most convenient of all. If your cabin is located forward, you just need to walk up (from 5) half a deck to the atrium, and you're right in front of Lattetudes, B&J's and all the shops.:) If your cabin is further aft, the aft elevators go down to deck 5, but not lower, and are much less crowded than the forward elevators. The advantage of deck 5 over deck 6 is, that 6 has the promenade and lounges above, so there can be more noise, although I never experienced any myself.

The cabins on deck 5 are small, like most are on the Monarch, with a window for the OV cabins instead of port hole. They have no refrigerator and no safe; you have to go with SO (deck 9) or a suite (deck 10) to get those on this ship.

Is there a steam room or sauna on the Monarch? If so is it co-ed or is there a separate mens and ladies?

Anyone just off have any good reports on the Nassau stop? It's been hammered lately at the Bahamas board.....

And is there a hot water jetted tub on board?

TY!

jlocole: There are separate saunas on Monarch, just down the hall from the spa.

Nassau can be very fun! We were there last weekend, with no problems.

I personally do not shop there as I don't think Nassau offers anything special that can't be bought elsewhere (jewelry, watches, etc). The local souveniers of course are Nassau-based (tshirts, trinkets).

The two hot tubs are on deck 11 between the pools, and are jetted.

and....

you're welcome!

HI,

Thinking of adding a 3 day to our exsisting 4 day OV cruise. Was thinking of upgrading to a balcony, probably the only one I will ever get.

Any recommended cabins? I would love a large balcony and cabin even with a pole in the middle..

I know this is an older ship, but I've heard the Monarch is wonderful.

Any tips for getting an upgraded room?? It looks like they're going up on the room prices again, what does that usually mean?

Also, what excursions do y'all recomend for Nassau? We are thinking about Atlantis but want to do it cheaper than the ships price, but want to be safe as well. with all the recent crime.

After finally biting the bullet and trying a small ship with a short itninerary, we just had the absolute best time on the Majesty in November! The ship was in great shape, we had perfect weather and a great cabin.

Now i am considering the Monarch for a getaway. We really enjoyed the CD on Majesty...he was very involved in the deck parties, themed nights etc and very very energetic. I think he really made the cruise! I have just started to peruse this lengthy thread but right now don't have the time to read it all and wonder if anyone who has had experiences on both of these ships, could comment. It would be much appreciated.

Our cruising style includes beach excursions, MTD, enjoying a balcony, going to the shows & themed dance parties, not big on bars, early risers and love just sitting around the pool relaxing/ people watching when not exploring a port.

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow cruisers! We are leaving on the 22-26 of Feb for our cruise and are wondering, what is currently on the menu? I am not a seafood type, but my wife loves it. I am more of a red meat and taters kind of guy, but I have decided I am gonna test my taste buds on this cruise. Normally I do not try new things, but the cruise is a new thing so I am gonna bite the bullet.

Help a fella out?

ok 2 tickets: you can have your steak every night, and Mrs can have seafood every night. There is a great variety on the menu: lamb, pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, salmon, seabass. Each night in the dining room you will have several choices, along with a vegetarian dish, and a healthy option. You should be able to find what you want. AND don't forget, if you want to change something on the dish (say, you want mashed potatoes instead of rice or polenta) just ASK!!! I do it sometimes, and there is no problem. The staff want YOU to have a good meal. Better yet, you can even have more than one if you like!

Bon voyage, and have a great cruise.

give us the report when you return!!!

what time do you actually get of the ship in Nassau? It says that the ships docs at noon is this correct? looking at shore excursions and wanting to pick the right one w/o spending a ton of money for little time. tips and ideas are very much welcomed.

Yes, the all clear to go ashore at Nassau is usually given at noon. Which sucks for excursions because they're usually meeting at 12:15 or 12:30 and the Windjammer and Sorrento's don't open for lunch until noon. So, you're a bit rushed if you want to grab a bite to eat before leaving the ship. :(

Archived