Embarkation Process

we are still relativly new to cruising...we've been 4 times though and it seems that for the most part boarding starts at about 1ish...somethines earlier...remember that its likely that you wont get right into your room though if you get there that early. So if you plan on being there hours ahead of time be sure that the items you have with you are small enogh to have around the ship for the first little bit. I have seen people take carry ons that are so big that while they wait for their cabin to be ready they just have to wait around b/c they cant go anywhere with their stuff. We always get on and go get food...walk around the pool deck and find the first available Mai Tai:D

I'm sorry, never sailed out of Boston, so I can't help you specifically there - but generally, just make sure you fill out the internet paperwork ahead of time, have your passport and credit card that you will be using on the ship ready, once your done with that - prepare to be absolutely amazed and excited beyond belief when you get your first up close glimpse of your ship you'll be calling home for the next few days!!:D

Have a great cruise!

Kim.

Plan to board around noon. If it's delayed a little, that's ok. Once on board, see if your room is ready. Next stop...the buffet! Have a leisurely lunch and start to really feel the cruise experience. After lunch, take a walk around the ship and get familiar with the layout (where is the dining room, etc. in relation to your cabin). If you drink, have a drink...you're vacation has already started and you won't be driving anywhere for several days!

After that, prepare for the Muster drill. It's required on all ships, so find out where you need to go when the time comes and take a look at your life jackets ahead of time so you have an idea how they work. Once that drill is over...it's really time to party. Enjoy your sail away and your first night a sea! Since this is your first cruise, you may want to pack some Bonine, in case you find yourself prone to seasickness. Most people don't have any problem, but being prepared is always a good idea.

Enjoy!

We're taking our first cruise. Are there any tips for making the boarding process smooth? We're sailing out of Boston. What can we expect?

Never been out of Boston, but as far as the boarding process goes, make sure you have your cruise docs in hand, your passport or birth certificate & driver's license if you have no passport, make sure you have already filled out the sail & sign page in the documents, if they included the bahamas immigration form (if applicable for your cruise), make sure it's filled out, if they didn't send one, they'll give you one at the terminal (again, if applicable to your cruise), and make sure you have your funpass with you, lots of folks say you don't need it, but we've always been asked for ours. Hang on to your passport/i.d and cruise docs, in our experience in both Miami & Lauderdale, we had to show the passports a couple of times before and as we embarked the ship. Hope this helps.:)

Already some good advice :)

I would say to board with as few carry on items as possible. Many times you are not allowed into the cabins until after 1pm and you will have to keep with you everything you carried on.

I'll agree to get to the port early, since it is your first cruise and no doubt you are anxious, in a good way! We stopped trying to board early a few cruises ago, we have found the lines aren't as long later and we have gotten our luggage a lot earlier. My theory is that it is on the top of the heap rather than the bottom, where the early boarding luggage is ;)

Take all prescription meds, a few toiletries, a bathing suit and perhaps a change of clothes for dinner, let the porters handle the rest.

I would like to add one more thing - patience. Sometimes lines get long, folks ahead of you are unprepared, stuff happens. So be prepared to wait - go to the bathroom before the wait and realize that the cruise is just beyond the lines.

Oh, and make sure your luggage has the tags on it.

REMINDER - - when you first enter the area to embark, you may be asked to fill out a short form stating you are not currently sick. IT IS VERY HANDY TO HAVE A PEN OF YOUR OWN READY TO DO THIS QUICKLY.

Yeah, sounds pretty obvious, but while others were madly searching through handbags and carry-on's, or asking to borrow a pen from someone, we were filling out our form as we walked inside. We then just handed it to the person collecting them and walked right through to security.

:D

Hello,

As usual the advice from the respondents has been excellent. My contribution...have your husband wear a shirt with a pocket so that the passports can be reached quickly, and then safely stored during the embarkation process. My wife handles the cruise documents and throughout the process, she gives me the passports for safekeeping.

There will be cruise line personnel at the cruise terminal, to help you throughout the embarkation process so you are not going into unchartered waters.

We try to get to the cruise terminal by about 10:30AM, and on most of our 19 cruises we have been on board early (by 12:00 Noon or so).

Wishing you and your DH a wonderful cruise.

Fred

Going out of Boston - what a great way to start your first cruise! I've done it three times (live north of Boston) and it's sooooo much nicer than having to fly in. If you're driving to the terminal, you probably want to drive up to the terminal and have your bags checked in by the porters. It's a bit of a walk from the garage to the terminal. Don't forget to have some money ready to tip the porters. I usually tip a couple of bucks per bag. Want to make sure my luggage makes it onto the ship! If you're taking a cab, no worries. Similarly, when you get back to Boston, gather your luggage and then have DH go to get the car...

As the others have said, all sage advice, fill everything you can out before you get there; have your passports and cruise docks ready; and I really like the idea of having a pen at the ready...

I usually get to the terminal around 11:30. I think 10:30 may be a bit early, and in some parts of the terminal there is no where to sit, so waiting could get a bit tiresome. It really depends on when your ship got in from the last cruise and how long it took to disembark everyone, as to when they're going to let you start boarding.

Some lines, actually have a place where you can "check" your carryon luggage once you're on board the ship. I know Crystal and HAL do. That way you're free to move about.

I always make a beeline to my favorite lounge and have that first Bloody Mary. MMMMMM Good. Then off to lunch.

I know you'll have a great cruise.

Don't be afraid to show up early. Our last cruise we were in line at 10:00 am and were able to "sit" and wait til we boarded the ship at 11:30. Also, make sure you have all of your documents in order and ready to hand to the agent checking you on board. Put your luggage tags on before you get to the port, so you can just give them, and a tip, to the porters.

Archived