What gifts do you bring back from Cozumel,Playa del Carmen..

407dm

I would be interested to know what gifts do you bring back from your cruises to Cozumel, Playa del Carmen/Calica, Jamaica, Grand Cayman's??

I am trying to get some ideas of unique items to buy for my brothers, sisters, gals that I work with ...etc. and interested in what you have found.

thanks

A hangover. ;)

I've brought back a chess set for my brother, dominoes for myself, and also for myself, a small pottery-like jar that I use to keep my rings and watch in when I'm not wearing them. I've also gotten hot sauce, vanilla, wool blankets (VERY WARM, I love them!), a hammock...Wow, I've done a lot of shopping in Cozumel! :o

I get hot sauce for all my ethnic pals..$2 a med sz bottle...there is a store in Coz-- doorway is older plaster..and 2 steps up, that sells purses out of shells, wood etc..also some house decor things..didnt price but will go this time..items are in the window..Silver abounds..chains charms, w/all sorts of stones. lots of belts scarves for the kitschy stuff

thanks for the ideas, I have added windchimes and pottery to my list of things to look for.

also more blankets, I got some last time and they make great gifts.

thanks for the help and keep them coming !!!

We hit Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel as soon as they opened at 8AM. (we docked at 7AM)

Got Kahlua cheaper than on the ship. (which was really cheap already)

Picked up a bunch of blankets. ($5 each if I remember correctly)

Some onyx windchimes. (3 for $5)

Various sizes of 100% pure vanilla. (1 liter was the biggest for $14.95)

Some Mayan bone wall plaques.

A silver cross.

Various sculptures.

Some t-shirts and other smaller gifts.

I'm sure we could have gotten some things cheaper elsewhere, but for the two of us, who both hate to shop and didn't want to waste much time doing so, Los Cinco Soles was a GREAT shop to get everything and get it quickly.(went back and dropped our 6-7 bags in our cabin and went straight to our slice of heaven at Nachi Cocum for the rest of the day)

Bill

Grand Cayman: We brought back Del Sol t-shirts for the kids. I also got DD some Del Sol nail polish. They love the color changing stuff! We brought back Tortuga Rum Cakes (oh, and some rum, LOL!) for the adults. The rum cakes are out of this world!

Cozumel: Mexican vanilla (YUM!), inexpensive silver/turquoise and silver/onyx necklaces for the adults. Beaded jewelry, a cool embroidered Mexican dress for my little girl. Maracas and a cool stone chess set for my boys.

Jamaica: Nothing for the adults. Hand carved alligators for the boys. Purse for my daughter.

I bought a beautiful handmade bathroom sink in Coz one time! Took me three years to get it installed and in June I picked up some matching items for the bathroom.

Soapstone items are also good from the Caymans as well as t-shirts from Hell.

Cozumel...got some neat dried, real starfish. Get those at the shopping area near the pier...they're like $5 for a small (manageable sized) one. We got ours along the side of the road at a vendor on the eastern side of the island and they were HUGE and we paid like $15 for 2. The smaller ones would make neat paper weights, coffee table conversation pieces, etc. The silver is also gorgeous and reasonable.

Grand Cayman...I wouldn't bother with the rum cakes. They sell those on board just as cheap and actually, I have a killer recipe and realized (after tasting at the factory) that I prefer mine (let me know, I'll post it, LOL:D ). Other things to pick up may be something neat having to do with turtles or sting rays.

Jamaica...everyone raves about the coffee. But be sure to buy the beans, as I've heard some shady vendors mix the grounds with dirt. :cool:

The things that we do at all ports for ourselves is pick up neat Christmas tree ornaments, which are always reasonable (we have a section of our tree just for those) and I have a silver charm bracelet that I get charms at for each stop (for both Coz and Jamaica I have small outlines of the island with the country's name on them, for GC I have a sting ray one).

Unless you're driving to the port, I'd skip purchasing alcohol. Our first cruise was before the liquid restrictions on the airline. After those went into effect, I swore I wouldn't go through either the hassle of bringing along all the packing crap or winding up with booze-soaked clothing. Well, in Coz we toured the tequila hacienda and DH insisted on purchasing a few smaller bottles to bring back. Yes, we uber packed them...bubble wrap, in thicker padded clothing, the whole 9 yards. And DH ended up with tequila soaked clothes and out $45 for the booze. Totally NOT worth it, IMHO.:rolleyes:

I too have done the del sol t shirts shopping bags and nail polish ... and frisbee ...

We always buy Christmas ornaments from every place we have ever been in our almost 20 yr marriage... We have quite a Keepsake ornament Christmas Tree,.... now all, the kids and grandkids buy us Christmas ornaments to go on our special tree..when they go on trips or cross milestones...they all have such special meaning .....

thanks for the ideas, I have added windchimes and pottery to my list of things to look for.

Glad your list is firming up!. I'm up early too, with my 2nd round with my cold..yuk! If anyone (ladies) on your list beads...Cinco Soles in Coz, has a "beaders "delight area in their lovely store. We bought the Candy Wrapper purses last time..cute as can be..$10 to $25..all new wrappers..Bargaining is my forte', and I always do well!. The bead work "critters" on keychains/hair baretts, bracelets are nice too..with that 407..coffee needs to be made..so I'll just order "room service"...you take yours black or white?....lucky

I usually pick up silver (bracelet or something)...

Since we fly I do not purchase anything liquid. If you do purchase liquid be sure to bring a couple large zip lock bags to put the items in incase they break.

we are leaving tomorrow for our cruise and now I can't wait to shop!:p

Cozumel is the best shopping port!!

The onyx chess sets are great gifts, they come in all sorts of sizes. The large ones are heavy, so consider that if flying.

We have also picked up musical instruments - tambourines, etc for the kids.

The Best Deal for Sunglasses is as Del Sol! The sunglasses change color, and they are polarized high quality lenses. In each package comes a post card where you can get up to 8 more pairs for FREE - with $10.00 shipping!! My husband lost two pairs and one cracked after two years and he was able to replace them for 10 bucks!

Catrin

I always buy the sun dresses for myself and family. When it gets hot here I slip one of those on and everything seems right. I plan to buy several on our next cruise. I've purchased ceramic colorful sun faces for my garden, metal lizards once, and a fused glass sterling silver necklace/brooch. The dealer tried to tell me it was an opal and I told him I was an artist and I know fused glass when I see it, and he should be ashamed to lie to people who know different.:rolleyes:

Be careful on the wind chimes if you go to Playa del Carmen. We were there in May, and a lot of the vendors were trying to sell them for $40!! We found them for $5 in stores off the beaten path, and also some of the larger stores. For whatever reason, the chimes were more in Playa del Carmen than in Cozumel.

Mexico- San Antonino dresses; pure vanilla; silver and turquoise; sarapes to decorate table top with Mexican theme; coke (it's stronger); San Miguel shoes; pareos; hammock

Jamaica - coffee, handmade book markers with name on them; decorations for our patio bar from Margaritaville Mobay

Cayman - Harley tee shirts; fine jewelry & watches

Belize - pharmacy with Rx the fraction of what you pay here for Retin A and many other things

I don't buy a lot at port when I go but in Cozumel I like the hand painted tiles. Similar to what used to be sold in Costa Maya (painted with fingernails, you know what I'm walking about?) except the tiles are about 10 X 14. I think they were $20/30?

For Belize, I loved all the wooden stuff. I got a lovely carved seashell and the next time I'll pick up a set of bowls (just wasn't prepared mentally to shell out $100 for bowls).

thanks for all of the suggestions

I did get a very nice little wooden box in Progresso last year, it was just the right size to put rings and pins in. I should look for some more of them.

And another BIG conch shell.

Archived