What gifts do you bring back from Cozumel,Playa del Carmen..

407dm

We always get a picture frame for a cruise departure picture we take before we go. One had seashells all around it it a natural stone background. Others had cute things like flip flops, beach chairs etc.

Can someone explain the interest in vanilla? I have a small bottle of vanilla from the grocery store in the pantry that's been there for probably 2 years.

Thanks, I'll look for this next year. I have 4 dogs/5 cats all from rescue groups inclding the Humane society. Can't think of a better way to spend money:D

Spay/Neuter, save a life !

In Cozumel the best souvenir could be a brand new t-shirt from the Cozumel Humane Society; they have a booth now at Punta Langosta Mall and the proceeds go to the homeless animal population of the island.

http://www.humanecozumel.org/

You get a nice product, a stray dog gets a meal and a bath, maybe even a home.

How about Roatan? What goodies can I buy there:D

Any good place to buy cigars (Grand Cayman, Belize, Couzmel, Roatan) to bring home. We don't smoke but guys my DH work with do and my brother:cool:

Roatan--If you dock at the pier, the church mission right next to the cemetary just to the right of the dock has some nice low-cost trinkets and souvenirs. Yabba Ding Ding is a shop a few blocks to the right that sells handmade pottery and crafts produced by local women in the traditional manners and styles of their Mayan/Payan ancestors. The proceeds help support the local school, which is a yellow building across the street and a little closer to the dock. You may also cruise the locals' stands for the odd artifact or two--my DW and I picked up two jade pieces and a pottery shard that had been unearthed by the construction activities of developers up in the hills; we also had a very pleasant chat with the stand's proprietors, who offered my DW a seat in the shade and put no pressure on us to purchase anything. To the Left of the dock and about 2 miles down the road is Stone Castle Cameos' showroom/workspace; VERY nice pieces of fine handiwork.

Jamaica--Ocho Rios--Ditto on the Blue Mountain coffee beans but buy them in the grocery store downtown, near the Craft Market, they're more reasonable there. Brave the Craft Market but be ready for the entreaties of the merchants and the occasional inquiry as to whether you're in the market for ganja:rolleyes: . Haggle nicely and with a sense of humor, and look around through the entire market before you buy. Warning--some of the "handicrafts" were manufactured in China:mad: , so look over everything. Have a Red Stripe in the cafe in Island Village. Try some local cuisine like jerked chicken or fish, to keep KFC or other Yanqui cullinary intruders from squeezing out the native food vendors.

Grand Cayman--didn't have time, went stingray-visiting, better than any purchase!:D

Belize--be careful of some of the jewelry shops--in fact, if you want good jewelry, tune in or log onto Jewelry TV (jtv.com) before or after your cruise, 'cause the price of the jewelry offered by vendors on cruise ports has been jacked fantastically by the profit markup applied:eek: . And speaking of pirates, there's a pirate museum/gift shop back behind the port "mall" that has lots of nice piratical gear--free samples offered of liquors on sale there. At the mall lunch shop, try the "Belize Boil-Up" and the conch fritters.

Cozumel--Yes, Los Cinquo Soles is one of the better stops; our cruise paper for that port had coupons for a free liter of Kahlua with a certain amount of purchase. We bought two wooden Nativity sets (two days after Thanksgiving) and several ceramic Christmas tree ornaments. Get lots of pure vanilla (without coumarin or sugar--just vanilla and alcohol) for yourself, and some for your friends. Try a few of the shops that are NOT listed on your ship's shopping guide--some of the smaller vendors have reasonable prices and are quite friendly. Check out the pharmacy south of the main dock that feeds directly into the center of town--you may find several of your prescription needs at very reasonable prices.

Whew!

Have a grand time on your cruise!

All of these suggestions are great. My question is - Are the items priced and do you pay what the item is listed for or do you bargain. We will be doing the Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, Isle Roatan cruise Thanksgiving week.

Thanks.

Archived