Yet another question 'bout tipping...

BrendaStarr

Hi!

I've been looking through all these threads now, concearning tips and gratuities, and beeing European and a total savage to the concept of tipping (oh, well - you know...) I am a bit troubled about when, where and how much especially when it comes to the Celebrity Staff. We chose the prepaid gratuites-alternative as we booked our cruise, but I take it one hands over a small token of appreciation e.g. every time one uses the roomservice as well? Or the porters at Civitavecchia?

Usually, in Europe, we give a moderate tip at the restaurant, even the check up to the nearest 10 or so, the same with the taxis. Basically never else, service-charges are almost always included in the price. So forgive me if I sound ignorant - but how much is proper to give the stateroom-attendant for roomservice?$1? $5?

And since we're going to be cruising the Med - is it OK to tip with Euros instead?

Hoping not to seem too stupid,

Marika/BrendaStarr:D

Yes you can tip in Euro,they would probably like that much better considering it is europe and our dollar had dropped so much,and like the prevois poster said,room service is delivered from someone in the galley so we tip a dollar or two,one euro would be good!

Yes you can tip in Euro,they would probably like that much better considering it is europe and our dollar had dropped so much,and like the prevois poster said,room service is delivered from someone in the galley so we tip a dollar or two,one euro would be good!

Your question is not stupid, it's a legitimate request for information from someone not familiar with the custom.

In addition to tipping the person who brings your room service, you asked about the porters in the ports. I suspect that they are like the longshoremen in the US--it is highly advised not to skip tipping them, or your bags might not end up where you expect them! If there are any Europeans out there with specific experience with this, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Your question is not stupid, it's a legitimate request for information from someone not familiar with the custom.

In addition to tipping the person who brings your room service, you asked about the porters in the ports. I suspect that they are like the longshoremen in the US--it is highly advised not to skip tipping them, or your bags might not end up where you expect them! If there are any Europeans out there with specific experience with this, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Yes, what is the policy on tipping at the port. I have three coming up in the next few weeks. Two in Rome and one in Barcelona

If you chose a 'pre-paid gratuities' package when booking, you really aren't under any socio-economic 'obligation' or ethic to tip any on board crewman. Your billing and cruise fare payment includes the lines suggested or 'norm' in tips to on board staff.

I think the lines are beginning to offer and promote this sort of fare inclusion exactly because tipping and service compensation is so highly varied culturally from country to country.

If you chose a 'pre-paid gratuities' package when booking, you really aren't under any socio-economic 'obligation' or ethic to tip any on board crewman. Your billing and cruise fare payment includes the lines suggested or 'norm' in tips to on board staff.

I think the lines are beginning to offer and promote this sort of fare inclusion exactly because tipping and service compensation is so highly varied culturally from country to country.

I respectfully disagree. The person who brings your room service order is not one of the persons listed who receive the prepaid gratuities. We loved having that wonderful Concierge Class breakfast delivered to our room every morning and were happy to tip the young lady who brought it $2 each time.

I take it some $2 is sufficient for roomservice - and since I and the DH are staying in a Concierge Class cabin we WILL have our breakfast in the cabin most mornings...:D

In a way it feels wrong to pre-pay gratuities, since it is thought to be a reward for recieving good service, and I've read here in the boards that some make sure to tip well the first day in order to ensure that same service. How much would be considered to be good tipping on the first day? $10? $20?

When buying a drink at the bar, is the service-charge of 15% always put on the tab? Or is it optional?

And if I'm extraordinally satisfied with the service after my cruise, would it be over the top to add extra tips to the pre-paid gratuities?

Again,

thank you all!

/Marika

OK, thanks!

All I wanted was a small clue - sorry if some of you found it insulting, no insult meant.

I know that I, as an au-pair on Long Island 15 years ago, chose not to go to the hairdresser because I didn't know how to tip. And buying the materials at Genovese and doing my fingernails on my own, because I wasn't sure how to tip... Ididn't mean to be a wise-*ss, all I wanted was a small idea - thanks to you all who took my enquiery seriously: Happy cruising to y'all!

/Marika

Brenda, I think the crew like it better when we tip at the end. AND I think they work harder for that tip. We have been on cruises where the tip is charged to our account and found the crew didn't go out of their way to please us because they were so sure they were going to get that tip. We like to hand out our tips the last night in the envelopes they give us and usually we give more than what the cruiseline suggests because we have always had such great people wait on us.

marlene

Since we travel with a group we prepay our gratuities so that we can table hop at dinner.

For room service we tipped anywhere from $2.00-$5.00 depending on what we ordered.

We gave the cabin steward about an average of $10.00 per cabin when boarding and asking for our initial special requests. At the end of the cruise we tipped our Cabin Steward an additional $20 and his assistant $10

Our head waiter we tipped an additional $20 and the asst waiter $10

The porters I tip $2.00 per bag

I also tip the tender people when getting on and off the boat

The bartenders I added an additional $1.00 to every tab I signed. Sometimes to the tab and sometimes in cash.

This was on the 4 night Mercury cruise.

Noone is obligated to tip above what is required. It is up to each individual to decide.

Hope this helps.

Gina

Marika,

If you meant that you thought that you might have insulted someone who has posted here, don't be concerned.

I believe that boatboat meant to refer to the notion that a service person onboard might be offended by a tip "up front", as being suggestive that excellent service would not be provided, absent an "advance tip".

Kent:)

I respectfully disagree. The person who brings your room service order is not one of the persons listed who receive the prepaid gratuities. We loved having that wonderful Concierge Class breakfast delivered to our room every morning and were happy to tip the young lady who brought it $2 each time.

With all due respect, YOU'RE RIGHT! ;)

I misread the OP. A couple bucks is appropriate for cabin service.

Hello!

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I usually tip $5 for room service - so maybe I am tipping too much? I see most of you only tip $2.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

For one person I tip one dollar for room service, two people two, three people three, etc.

Thanks to the other poster for clarifying my remark .... I had read on another thread that others had the experience of trying to tip in advance and the server was uncomfortable.

Sorry, I meant Marika not Brenda. Are you a teacher????

marlene

Yes, I'm a history-teacher, but I teach english and maths as well... Grade 1-6...

BrendaStarr is a name that's been my alias since my early 20-ies, when I took journalism-classes and felt just like that comic-book-heroine... Way before I got married and got children... :p

With all due respect, YOU'RE RIGHT! ;)

I misread the OP. A couple bucks is appropriate for cabin service.

How refreshing to find someone who cheerfully owns up to a mistake and is gracious about it! Life would be a lot happier on these boards if everyone were like you since we all make mistakes. Hope to meet you on a cruise some day.

As to the people who wonder if they're tipping too much--I don't think you can tip too much. Service people work very hard for their money.

And so far we've prepaid our gratuities so we can table hop in our group, still received fabulous service, and were happy to tip more at the end of the cruise.

We usually tip our room service waiter/waitress $2. From our experience, room service is not delived by our usual stateroom attendant, but others' experiences may be different.

Pretty much agree for misc. room service tipping * $2-3 depending depending on what's ordered.:)

Since we travel with a group we prepay our gratuities so that we can table hop at dinner.

For room service we tipped anywhere from $2.00-$5.00 depending on what we ordered.

We gave the cabin steward about an average of $10.00 per cabin when boarding and asking for our initial special requests. At the end of the cruise we tipped our Cabin Steward an additional $20 and his assistant $10

Our head waiter we tipped an additional $20 and the asst waiter $10

The porters I tip $2.00 per bag

I also tip the tender people when getting on and off the boat

The bartenders I added an additional $1.00 to every tab I signed. Sometimes to the tab and sometimes in cash.

This was on the 4 night Mercury cruise.

Noone is obligated to tip above what is required. It is up to each individual to decide.

Hope this helps.

Gina

Would you do this per person in the room or total room....same with waiter,etc.?

Archived