Videos vs Slide shows

leadout_kv

Most of the "videos" that I've seen in this section have been what i define as slide shows. Am I right? I did see the video of the woman going down the slide. That was funny.

I'm kinda hoping to try to find actual moving videos of cruise vacations.

Me too! That is a kind of bummer when you click on something thinking it is a video and then see that it is a photo slide show. Maybe people just don't know how to do that? I know I don't and am actually looking for some help to put together a video on the computer after our trip. We have a video camera that records on VHS-C. Does that matter? Should I buy a digital instead? Anyone that can help with this please let me know...

Here's a link to a short video I made of our cruise on the Mariner this year.

Maybe I can help if you have specific questions.

Steve

I would definitely advise getting a digital video camera before you go.

Help! Can someone please help. We took several video clips with our Canon G7 camera ...I burned them to a DVD but they will not play on our DVD player. We just bought it - so it's bang up to date and the salesman assured us it would play all files including avi files.....but so far no success. We can play a slideshow of the photos but no luck wtih the video clips so far (though they do play on my computer).

Any help would be appreciated....do we need special dvd disks for this (I used DVD-RW).

Umpalumpa...

You will need a capture device to get the video from your camera to your computer before you can start to edit it. Take a look at this page...

http://www.videoguys.com/vidcap.htm

It has some pretty good info.

Keep in mind that the resolution you will be able to save your videos to will depend on the speed and hard disk space on your computer.

Steve

Funny, but I make birthday, wedding and vacation videos for family and friends and we have better luck with DVD+R's, especially if they have older units.

Our up-to-the-minute player will play just about everything but I tend to stick with mpgs. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get the best quality for YouTube. I'm probably going through hoops I wouldn't have to, but I first convert it to mpg using Pinnacle Studio and then convert the mpeg it produces to avi with Roxio. :rolleyes:

From what I understand DVD-R was on the market about 5 years before DVD+R, so many older DVD players will only play that format while newer machines will be able to play either -R or +R.

DVD+R uses a system of tracking and control called ADIP (ADdress in In Pregroove) which is much less susceptible to interference and error than the LPP (Land Pre Pit) system used by DVD-R, which makes the ADIP system more accurate at higher speeds. Also, DVD+R(W) has a more robust error management system than DVD-R(W), allowing for more accurate burning to media independent of the quality of the media. (Source Wikipedia).

Basically if you know your machine will play DVD+R, than that is the way to go; otherwise use DVD-R, especially if it might be for an older machine.

Steve

• 5 months later...
Here's a link to a short video I made of our cruise on the Mariner this year.

Maybe I can help if you have specific questions.

Steve

I would definitely advise getting a digital video camera before you go.

Please share how you did that. Great video and something I am attempting to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a program called Vegas Video to edit the video clips I take. The photos are normally edited with Photoshop prior to inclusion and I often use Adobe After Effects for special effects or titles to my videos.

Each of these programs has a bit of a learning curve but if you have a specific question maybe I can help you with that.

It's a lot of fun, but also a lot of work and very time consuming.

Steve

G'day there,

You might like to look at these professionally edited video's as shown on youtube including our latest WW2 Pacific cruise 2 weeks ago on the Statendam

Enjoy.

Noel

Most of the "videos" that I've seen in this section have been what i define as slide shows. Am I right? I did see the video of the woman going down the slide. That was funny.

I'm kinda hoping to try to find actual moving videos of cruise vacations.

Archived